Dungloe book place into the last eight in the Senior Championship

Dungloe book place into the last eight in the Senior Championship
Dungloe booked their place in the last eight of the RTE Raidió Na Gaeltachta SFCwith a two point victory over Killybegs in Rosses Park.

Dungloe booked their place in the last eight of the RTE Raidió Na Gaeltachta SFCwith a two point victory over Killybegs in Rosses Park.

Dungloe 0-9

Killybegs 0-7

Adrian Sweeney with three points, two of them from frees and Cory Gallagher with, two both from placed balls while Eoin Redmond, Doalty Boyle, Adrian Hanlon and Shaun Sharkey were the other Dungloe men to get their names on the scoresheet.

Brendan Maguire, 0-4, all frees Mark ‘Herbie’ Boyle, David Conwell and Eoghan ‘Ban’ Gallagher were the Killybegs marksmen in what was a real tactical battle.

Killybegs player with 13 and sometimes 14 men behind the ball and relied on hitting Dungloe on the break. And it worked for long spells in the game as the locals found it difficult to breakdown the packed Killybegs rearguard.

And it was the red and white clad Killybegs players that would have been happier at half-time after they went in just two points down, 0-6 to 0-4 having played into a stiff breeze.

Dungloe opened the half at a brisk pace and had two points on the board inside two minutes as Killybegs, found their bearings. Eoin Redmond popped over the first on 50 seconds after a good layoff from Conor Greene and Sweeney added the second one minute later when he escaped the clutches of Jason Noctor, to raise the game’s second white flag.

But Killybegs were back on level terms on five minutes as Maguire converted twice from close range. The full-forward drilled over the first from 13 metres and dead straight in front of the posts after he had his jersey tugged off the ball when the play was still at midfield.

And he added the second when he made light of the stiff breeze to split the posts from 20 metres from a tight angle.

While Dungloe enjoyed the greater share of the possession stakes they only added two more points in the first quarter to lead 0-4 to 0-2. Gallagher with a close in free and Doalty Boyle, up in attack lofted over from 35 metres.

But it was all square for the second time by the 20 minute mark with Maguire twice in quick succession doing the business.

Dungloe with Shaun Sharkey and Darren Curran driving forward from the half-backline Dungloe, through Adrian Sweeney and Adrian Hanlon knocked over two more points to send the locals in two in front at the interval.

Adrian Sweeney, on the one time he got in on goals was denied from point blank by Antoine O’Hara, with a super save from six metres.

Dungloe were out of the blocks fast at the start of the second half and flashed over two quick fire points in the space of a minute on 35 and 36 minutes. Shaun Sharkey who had a fine game at centre half-back linked up with Adrian Sweeney, to knock over the first and Gallagher converted from 35 metres after Adrian Sweeney was fouled. And when Sweeney who seemed to have finally figured out the blanket defence converted from 40 metres after he was fouled by John Enright, the margin was out to five, and Dungloe leading 0-9 to 0-4.

That was on 43 minutes. But amazingly Dungloe’s scoring dried up as Killybegs abandoned their defensive make-up and went for broke.

Mark ‘Herbie’ Boyle, got the revival underway on 48 minutes and with the Rosses men on the back foot and looking a little jittery David Conwell charged up from corner back for a super point to reduce the margin to three, with over ten minutes of normal time remaining.

O’Hara, came to his sides rescue shortly after when he blocked away a Conor Green strike and the margin was back to two when county minor Eoghan ‘Ban’ Gallagher drove over Ciaran Sharkey’s crossbar.

But that proved to be the game’s final scores as both Brendan Boyle and Brendan Maguire were wide from placed balls, with Maguire uncharacteristically wide from 35 metres from a favourable position. Deep injury time, Killybegs lost O’Hara to a calf muscle injury.

Dungloe: C Sharkey; J Scally, G Ward, D Boyle (0-1); M Sweeney, S Sharkey (0-1), D Curran; R Sweeney, C Gallagher (0-2, 2f); N McBride, A Hanlon (0-1), G Walsh; A Sweeney (0-3,2f), C Greene, E Redmond (0-1). Subs: O Scally for M Sweeney (52); A Neilly for G Walsh (53).

Killybegs: A O’ Hara; D Conwell(0-1), N Carberry, D O’Donnell; C Murrin, S Molloy, W ‘Ban’ Gallagher (0-1); E Murphy, D Breslin; J Noctor, B Boyle, P Gallagher; M Boyle (0-1), B Maguire (0-4,4f), H McFadden. Subs: C Tully for P Gallagher (h/t); J Enright for N Carberry (52); J ‘Ban’ Gallagher for C Tully (55).

Referee: I Molloy (Naomh Conaill).