Leaders Drumoghill FC are beaten by St. Catherine's

Round up of Sunday's action in the Donegal League

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter


Leaders Drumoghill FC are beaten by St. Catherine's

St. Catherine’s handed Drumoghill FC a first league defeat of the season as the title race in the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division took another twist today.

The Killybegs outfit won 3-1 at Emerald Park to boost their hopes of survival in the top division.

Glenea United were 2-0 winners away to Kildrum Tigers so they go top of the table.

Lagan Harps are up to second place following a 2-0 win at home to struggling Convoy Arsenal.

Castlefinn Celtic are fourth, three points off the lead, after a 4-2 win at home to Rathmullan Celtic.

Milford United won their local derby with Kilmacrennan Celtic 3-2.

In Division One, Cappry Rovers, the leadue leaders, enjoyed a 7-1 victory over Deele Harps while Bonagee United were 3-2 winners over Gweedore United.

Glenree, in much need of a win, recorded a 4-3 victory against Erne Wanderers; Gweedore Celtic beat Donegal Town 2-1 and Keadue Rovers and Raphoe Town shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

Ballybofey, the leaders in the CT Ball Division, were 6-1 winners at home to Whitestrand. However, their nearest challengers, Lifford Celtic, were beaten. They lost 4-1 away to in-form Dunkineely Celtic.

In the other games, Cranford United were 5-0 winners over Copany Rovers, Drumkeen United beat Kerrykeel 4-2 and Letterbarrow beat Curragh Athletic 5-2.


Saturday 11th February K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)

Glencar Inn Saturday Division
Fintown Harps AFC v Drumbar F.C.
Dunlewey Celtic v Glencar Celtic
Orchard F.C. v Strand Rovers

Saturday Reserve Division
Castlefin Celtic Reserves v Glenree United Reserves
Drumoghill F.C. Reserves v Erne Wanderers Reserves
Keadue Rovers Reserves v St. Catherines Reserves
Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves v Donegal Town Reserves
Glenea United Reserves v Cappry Rovers Reserves

Sunday 12th February 2017 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Kildrum Tigers v Drumoghill F.C.
Milford United v Convoy Arsenal
Glenea United v St. Catherines
Kilmacrennan Celtic v Rathmullan Celtic

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One
Cappry Rovers v Erne Wanderers

CT Ball Division Two
Whitestrand Rovers v Lifford Celtic
Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. v Dunkineely Celtic
Copany Rovers v Curragh Athletic
Eany Celtic v Ballybofey United
Letterbarrow Celtic v Drumkeen United


Brian McCormick Premier Division
St. Catherine's . . . 3
Drumoghill F.C. . . . 1
St Catherines started brightly and Barry Cannon broke loose on 10 minutes and shot low across Paul Mc Cauley, the Drumoghill keeper, to find the bottom corner and make it 1 - 0.
The goal of the game came on 34minutes. David Conwell will never catch a half volley like this again. From the corner of the visitors' 18 yard box his shot was unstoppable and flew into the corner of the Drumoghill net to make it 2-0.
St Catherine's were well on top now and a great team goal scored by Christy Cunningham on 42minutes made it 3-0.
This wasn't the end of the goals for the first half. Liam O’ Donnell slotted home to give the visitors some hope.
Drumoghill found themselves up against a well organised St Catherines defence however, and rarely troubled Michael Mullin's goal in the second half.
Ryan Carr and Christy Cunningham were excellent on the right wing for the home team.

Kilmacrennan Celtic . . . 2
Milford United . . . 3
Kilmacrennan played hosts to Milford in a tightly contested game in Kerrykeel.
Kilmacrennan started off the brightest with two early goals from Caolan McDaid. Milford came out flying for the second half, scoring two goals early on.
The last few minutes were tense after Kilmacrennan had a man sent off, and Milford went away with the three points courtesy of a very late goal from Gary Merritt.
Referee: Paddy Martin.

Kildrum Tigers . . . 0
Glenea United . . . 2
Kildrum started brightly and were totally in control but a tame header from 18 yards deceived the Kildrum keeper and sneaked in past him.
Kildrum regained control and started to look like getting an equaliser when they were hit with another sucker punch 20 minutes into the second half when a long ball into the Kildrum box wasn't dealt with and Mc Geady sneaked in front of the Tigers keeper to finish.
Glenea defended well but Kildrum will wonder how they never got something out of the game.

Castlefinn Celtic . . . 4
Rathmullan Celtic . . . 2
Castlefinn secured a massive three points with a hard fought home victory.
Castlefinn took the lead when PJ Mc Menamin broke down the left and crossed to JP Malley who tapped home after 15 minutes.
Both sides pressed thereafter but couldn't create any clear cut opportunities. Castlefinn doubled their lead in the 46th minute, Malley played through Jonny Robb who finished low into the bottom corner.
The hosts increased their lead when Marty Owens chased down a back pass and the clearance deflected off Owens back to trickle into the net with 63 minute's played.
Almost immediately Rathmullan pulled a goal back when Dara Patton danced passed two defenders and unleashed a shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards. In the 70th minute Castlefinn made the game safe when McMenamin’s pinpoint cross was headed home by Owens.
In the closing stages Patton got his second goal of the afternoon but it was only a consolation for the visitors.
Best for Castlefin: Peter Bryson and Jonny Robb. Best for Rathmullan: Mark Gallagher.
Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Lagan Harps . . . 2
Convoy Arsenal . . . 0
Lagan got three big points when two late goals earned them victory over Convoy.
Both teams huffed and puffed in the first half with Mark Hunter and Michael Doherty going close on a couple of occasions for Lagan and Shane Barclay and Anthony Bogle going close for Convoy.
The second half was just as scrappy with both sides guilty of wasting possession.
Lagan finally made the breakthrough on 82 minutes when Mark Graham lobbed over the defence and Philip Doran lobbed the advancing keeper. Convoy should have equalised when Darren Mc Evoy palmed away a shot from Anthony Bogle and the resultant rebound was headed wide from six yards.
Lagan sealed victory when Mark Hunter scored from the penalty spot after a foul.
For Lagan Glenn Gallagher and Mark Hunter were best, with Anthony Bogle and Shane Barclay best for Convoy.
Referee: Liam Mc Laughlin

Temple Domestic Appliances Div One
Gweedore Celtic 2
Donegal Town 1
This game was played in glorious winter sunshine at An Screaban.
Donegal Town took the lead on 20 minutes when Joe McIntyre was quickest to react from a good save from Michael Mc Kelvey.
The Celts turned up the tempo in the 2nd half and Colin Ferry equalised with a brilliant solo goal.
Gweedore now had momentum and they took a deserved lead through Tommy Diver from a Jamie Boyle cross.
Gweedore held out for the win with Cathal Mulligan in midfield and Odhran Mc Niallais in centre-half most impressive for the hosts.
Referee: Michael McFadden.

Glenree United . . . 4
Erne Wanderers . . . 3
The home side came out on top in this seven goal thriller. It looked to be going all Glenree's way after 25 minutes of the game when they we're 4-1 up.
Erne conceded a penalty after 50seconds which Barney Boyce dispatched past the keeper.
Erne, with their first attack made it one each.
Keelan Mc Gee tucked away the second goal and then in the 20th minute Andrew Kelly finished superbly from 20 yards to make it three. Marty Mc Laughlin then made it four and the home side seemed to be cruising until Erne hit back with two goals, the third was a nicely worked goal with a fine finish on the half volley before half-time.
The second half was on a knife edge with both teams passing up opportunities but it was the home team missing the guilt edged ones. Glenree dug in though and held out for an important three points in their fight for survival.
Referee: John Coyle.

Bonagee United . . . 3
Gweedore United . . . 2
Gweedore had the better chances in the first five minutes with the pacey Garvan McFadden making life difficult for the Bonagee backline.
On 12 minutes Bonagee's Rory Mc Crossan played a perfect ball into space for Bonagee's Noel O'Donnell to come onto and with the Gweedore Utd defence caught napping, O'Donnell slotted easily past the keeper to put Bonagee 1 up.
Gweedore drew level when Garvan McFadden fired past Keeper John Carr to level the game.
At the start of the 2nd half, Bonagee had most of the play in the first 15 minutes and they capitalised on it in the 58th minute when Noel O'Donnell got his second.
On 64 minutes Bonagee's Paddy McGowan crossed in a great ball from the far side line and Graham Cullen met it with his head to make it 3 - 1.
Gweedore Utd now started to up the ante and got just rewards on the 68th minute when Garvan McFadden pulled it back to 3-2.
There was some nail-biting passages of play but Bonagee held out for a much-needed 3 points.
Best for Gweedore Utd were Shane O'Donnell and John McFadden. Best for Bonagee Utd were Glenn Rainey, Rory Mc Crossan and Noel O'Donnell.
Referee: Frank Duff.

Raphoe Town . . . 1
Keadue Rovers . . . 1
Raphoe Town and Keadue Rovers shared out the spoils in this game which was reversed to Central Park in Keadue.
David Craig headed Raphoe in front early on from a corner.
Sean Yank Boyle and Ryan Greene both had chances to draw their team level before they eventually equalised on 39 minutes when Corey Gallagher scored.
Conor Greene had a late chance to win it for Keadue but his shot was well saved by Roy Duffy.
Referee: James Malseed.

Cappry Rovers . . . 7
Deele Harps . . . 1
Cappry broke the deadlock in the 7th minute when Calvin Bradley scored from an Aaron Kelly cross. Darren O'Leary made it 2-0 in the 15th minute from a corner. Gerard Melaugh made in 3-0 in the 20th minute. Darren O'Leary got his second and Cappry's 4th in the in the 22nd minute. It was 5-0 in the 40th when Alan Gethins finished well from a Paddy Mc Nulty pass.
Brendan Mc Laughlin scored the 6th in the 41st minute from an Alan Gethins cross. Calvin Bradley scored his 2nd and Cappry's 7th in the 44th minute following a good passing move involving Aaron Kelly and Alan Gethins.
In the second half Cappry took the foot off the pedal. Deele got a consultation goal in the 75th minute through Shane Gallagher. Cathal Mc Gowan was best for Deele.
Referee: Dessie Mc Laughlin.

CT Ball Division
Letterbarrow Celtic . . . 5
Curragh Athletic . . . 2
Alex Mc Neillis opened the scoring for the home side when he beat the offside trap to slot home.Both sides had good chances denied by the respective keepers in a lively first half which ended one nil.
Curragh opened the second half brightly and equalised when James Sweeney finished well after a good counter attack. However, Letterbarrow regained the lead on 60 minutes when Alex Mc Neillis did brilliantly to score.
Five minutes later Dermot Slevin headed home a corner for the home side and on 70 minutes, Alex Mc Neillis completed his hat-trick with a close range finish.
Curragh didn’t give up and pulled a goal back on 80 minutes when James Sweeney glanced home a header from a free kick.
James Mc Groary gave Letterbarrow their fifth on 90 minutes with a screamer from thirty yards.
Best for Letterbarrow was Alex Mc Neillis with James Sweeney a constant threat for the visitors.

Drumkeen United . . . 4
Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. . . . 2
Drumkeen took all three points from this game thanks to a hat trick from birthday boy Niall Bonner and a goal from Kevin Bonner.
The home team took the lead, probably against the run of play, when a ball fell to Kevin Bonner just inside the box and he fired it home.
A Niall Bonner diving header doubled their advantage shortly.
Kerrykeel then pulled a goal back when they were awarded a penalty which was calmly taken by Bernard Mc Gettigan. Niall Bonner then added a third Drumkeen goal from the penalty spot to give them a two goal cushion at the break.
The visitors began the second half well and pulled a goal back early in the half. Drumkeen extended their lead again when Niall Bonner rounded the keeper to score.

Ballybofey United . . . 6
Whitestrand United . . . 1
Damien Glackin found his shooting boots again on Sunday afternoon as Ballybofey United stretched their lead at the top of the Division. Backed up by a goal apiece from Mark Griffin and Alan Patton, Glackin netted four times to give the home side a comfortable victory over a hard working Whitestrand side.
The Twin Towns side look a decent bet for Promotion at this stage but they will be taking nothing for granted as a lot can change in the latter stages of the season.

Copany Rovers . . . 0
Cranford United. . . 5
Cranford got off to a great start and Joe Gallagher got a great first half hat-trick.
Copany made a better start to the second half and pushed for a goal but Cormac Toland and Brendan Giles had fine finishes to close out the game.
Joe Gallagher and Danny Mc Bride were brilliant for Cranford, with a team effort from Copany.

Dunkineely Celtic . . . 4
Lifford Celtic . . . 1
Dunkineely Celtic started the game more briskly and Adrian Nesbitt ran on to a pass from Alan Lyons to make it 1-0.
It was all Dunkineely and in the 22nd minute a free kick from Lyons was headed over Given in the Lifford nets to make it 2-0.
With Aaron Byrne and Alan Lyons dominating midfield for the home side a long clearance from Gavin Mulreany in the home goal found Nesbitt who chipped the keeper to make it 3-0 at half time.
Lifford knew they had to come out stronger in the second half but still were unable to break down the home defence with young Jordan Watters and Aiden Duddy and Johnny Cassidy excellent.
Lifford got back into it in the 60th minute when a cross from Ross Porter found Jason Mc Brearty who had an easy tap in to make it 3- 1.
But almost from the restart a cross from Paul Murrin found Nesbitt again to make it 4- 1.
Referee: Seamus Mc Grory.