Harps take another big step towards safety

Horgan's side pick up valuable point in Wexford

Diarmaid Doherty


Diarmaid Doherty



Harps take another big step towards safety

Packie Mailey who returned to the Harps defence for Friday's game in Wexford.

Finn Harps took another major step towards Premier Division safety when they held Wexford Youths scoreless at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night.

Wexford Youths 0

Finn Harps 0

It’s another excellent result for Ollie Horgan’s team who put in a full committed display on a night when Wexford really needed to take full points..

It means that with two games to play, Wexford have to win both matches away to Cork City and Sligo Rovers and hope that Harps lose at home next Friday night against Bohemians.

Wexford did have their opportunities to win this game in the second half. Ciaran Gallagher made a wonderful finger-tip save to deny Conor Whittle just before the hour.

Then a short time later, Paul Murphy was presented with a wonderful chance in front of goal but he drove his shot over the bar.

In the dying minutes, Wexford threw men forward and piled up some late pressure, but Harps, with Gallagher excellent in goal, held firm.

Harps will feel they created more than enough good chances in the first half to be in front at the break.

Their best opportunity fell to defender Packie Mailey who could only hold his head in his hands after volleying over from close in on 33 minutes following a Gareth Harkin corner.

The visitors went close again soon after when Sean Houston’s shot was parried by keeper Graham Doyle but Ryan Curran’s follow-up from a very difficult angle went across goal and away to safety.

Ollie Horgan’s side played some tidy football in a first half in which they were much the better side. Wexford did have claims for a penalty waved away when Paul Murphy went down under the challenge of keeper Ciaran Gallagher. Murphy however, was booked for simulation.

Soon after Gallagher pushed a Jonny Bonner free kick round the post, but otherwise the Harps netminder was rarely troubled with most of the goalmouth action coming at the other end.

Wexford, who conceded four goals in a crazy second half at home to Galway last weekend, looked decidedly shaky at the back at times, and they were no doubt relieved to get in at the break with their goal intact.

But it was a different story after the turnaround and there were some nervy moments for the visiting defence as the clock ticked towards the finish.

Chris Kenny looked all set to grab what would have been a dramatic late winner, but once again Gallagher was able to save to secure another important point for the Donegal men.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Graham Doyle, Craig McCabe (Shane Dunne 80), Andrew O’Connor, Lee Grace, Chris Kenny, Lee Chin, Conor Whittle Shane Dempsey 89), Jonny Bonner, Danny Furlong, Paul Murphy, Aidan Keenan.

FINN HARPS: Ciaran Gallagher, Ethan Boyle, Ciaran Coll, Josh Mailey, Packie Mailey, Barry Molloy, Michael Funston (BJ Banda 73), Gareth Harkin, Adam Hanlon (Dave Scully 83), Ryan Curran, Sean Houston.

REFEREE: Rob Harvey.