'A must win game for us' - Bonner

'A must win game for us' - Bonner

For Jonny Bonner and Wexford Youths, Friday night’s match against Finn Harps is simply a must-win game.

The Buncrana man, part of the Wexford Youths midfield, said a few weeks ago, his team had more or less began preparing for a two legged promotion/relegation play-off.

But last weekend's win over Galway United, coupled with Harps’ defeat at Cork City, has left the door to safety ajar for a while longer.

“It was a bit of a mad one on Friday night,” Bonner said of Wexford’s 5-4 victory.

“We were 5-0 up but they got it back to 5-4 and there were still 15 minutes to go.

“We were hanging on a bit and they’d a few chances towards the finish. But at the end of the day, a win’s a win, and that’s all that mattered.”

It left Wexford six points adrift of Harps but even though the sides meet this weekend, Bonner said his team will do well to overtake the Donegal side at this late stage.

“We’ve got to beat them at home. A draw’s really no good to us,” he said.

“We’ve got to go to Cork on Monday night and a draw is hard enough to get there, never mind a win. So it's not going to be easy.”

Bonner, who played for a short time under Ollie Horgan when the Harps boss took over at Finn Park, said the recent results for Harps against Sligo Rovers, Bray Wanderers and St. Pat’s have given them a great chance of staying up.

“Harps drew against Sligo and St. Pat’s and they were vital,” he said.

“A point here and there can be so important in the Premier Division. And the win over Bray was a good result as well.

“It means Friday night’s game is vital for both of us. We’re looking forward to it. We know what we’ve got to do.”

Bonner is not the only Donegal link to the Wexford side.

Teenager Eoin Porter, whose father John Michael is a native of Raphoe, has recently broken into the first team set-up at Ferrycarrig Park. He could also feature against Harps on Friday night.

The game will be the third meeting of these sides this season. The meeting in Wexford in April ended in a 1-1 draw while Wexford won at Finn Park 1-0 in July.