Four Masters save senior status


Four Masters save senior status
Gerry McLaughlin @dgldemocrat

It may have taken Four Masters around 20 minutes to get into this feisty affair, but there was never any real doubts about the winner, in Killygordon, on the banks of the rushing river Finn.

Four Masters 1-13

Glenfin 0-7

Masters had a serous edge in physique, a much stronger bench and old heads like Michael Doherty, Karl Lacey and Barry Monaghan were there to steer them through whenever danger threatened.

An outgunned Glenfin side looked threatening in the opening quarter where Frank McGlynn was getting the better of his tussle with Karl Lacey.

They actually led by 0-2 to 0-1 in a very low scoring first quarter where Kevin McBrearty found the target for the Masters after just 14 seconds.

But, Stephen Carr levelled almost immediately before Conor McBride briefly edged them in front in the 14th minute.

Masters had some claims for a penalty when full forward Michael Doherty appeared to be hauled down in the square, but there was no major protest when referee Seamus McGonigle did not react.

However a few well placed diagonal balls into the Masters full forward line began to reap dividends and Conor McDaid calmly converted four frees to put the winners into a 0-6 to 0-2 interval lead.

But the clinching score of this affair came in the 32nd minute when Lacey found Doherty on the right wing and his diagonal cross, was flicked to the Glenfin net by the in-rushing Paddy Reid.

Glenfin had a great chance to negate this within a minute, but Masters keeper Ryan Haughey brilliantly saved Gerard Ward’s point blank effort.

Reid’s clinical finish effectively ended this as a real contest, although gritty Glenfin tried hard to counter attack but hit six- second half wides.

And their cause was dealt a hammer blow when ace forward Gerard Ward was given a black card for a third man tackle in the 48th minute.

But Karl Lacey was very lucky to escape with getting no card of any colour after a wrestling match with Ward on the sideline.

Frank McGlynn and substitute tried hard to rally their troops but they never really looked like breaching a Masters defence where Kevin Breslin and Danny McGarrigle were excellent.

Gerard Ward’s departure left a big hole in the Glenfin attack and Lacey and Barry Monaghan really controlled matters for the winners in the final quarter.

This was a deserved win for Masters, who were able to run down their bench at their leisure.

Glenfin played with all their usual grit, but did not have the physique or strength in depth to cope with Masters.

FOUR MASTERS: Ryan Haughey, Daire Quinn, Kevin Breslin, Danny McGarrigle; Barry Dunnion, Dylan Kennedy, Sean O’Kennedy (0-1); Luke Keaney, Kevin McBrearty (0-1); Paddy Reid (1-0), Karl Lacey, Emmett Doogan; Conor McDaid (0-3f), Michael Doherty (0-62f), Barry Monaghan. Subs; Caolan Loughney for McDaid h-time inj, Leo McHugh 0-1, for O’Kennedy 39, Darren Walsh for Loughney 50, John Boyle 0-1 for Dunnion 57, Ryan O’Donnell for Doogan 60,

GLENFIN: Liam O’Meara, David Carr, Gary Herron, Martin O’Donnell; Stephen McGlynn, Frank McGlynn (0-1,f), Gary Dorrian; Patrick McGrath, Paddy O’Connor; Jason Morrow, Michael McGlynn, Stephen Carr (0-1); Conor McBride (0-4f), Stephen Ward, Gerard Ward. Subs: Ciaran Foy 0-1 for M McGlynn (h-time), Kevin McGlynn for Stephen Ward 34, Stephen Ward for G Ward b-card,

Referee: S McGonigle (Aodh Ruadh