Wins for Rovers and Keadue in Youth League

Wins for Rovers and Keadue in Youth League

The new Donegal Youth League season got up and running on Saturday with two games played.

The action got underway on Friday night with Letterkenny Rovers recorded a fine 5-1 away to Gweedore United.

On Saturday, Keadue Rovers recorded an impressive 3-2 win at Bonagee Utd.

Gweedore United . . . .1

Letterkenny Rovers . . 5

Friday night football returned to Carrickboyle and in tight opening exchanges, both teams had to adjust to the windy conditions.

Rovers had a couple of chances of but with a mixture of poor finishing and Shane Corless doing well in the Gweedore goal, the game remained scorless.

However, in the 41st minute Rovers took the lead when a shot from 18 yards from Shane Doherty deflected over Corless in the Gweedore goal. They doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when a Darragh Morrison strike from 20 yards looped into the top corner.

Gweedore started brightly in the second half and on 51 minutes Steven McFadden beat three defenders before going down under a challenge by the Rovers keeper Eoin O'Boyle. However, referee Micheal McFadden waved away the protests of the United players, much to the dismay of the watching crowd.

United got a goal back on 55 minutes when Terry Lynch headed down in the path of Micheal "Doxy" Ferry who powered his shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner.

Rovers rallied after this goal and on 65 minutes they got their third goal following a free kick which was tapped home at the back post by Morrisson for his second of the game.

Gweedore had a couple of chances after this from Shaun McFadden and Ciaran Griffin but it just wasn't to be as Rovers made it 4-1 in the 89th minute when Ciaran Daffan scored a screamer from 30 yards and Cameron Gormley completed the scoring in added time.

Referee: Michael McFadden

Bonagee United . . . 2

Keadue Rovers . . . 3

Keadue started the game on the front foot and forced mistake after mistake from a sometimes naive Bonagee and got their just rewards on 7 minutes when Brian Proctor slotted home.

Bonagee battled hard and had a few chances themselves but to no avail. Keadue doubled their tally on the half hour mark when Ultan Boyle capitalised on a Bonagee loose pass.

The Bonagee team manager Tony O'Carroll must have had a few choice words for his side at half time and 7 minutes into the second half Daniel Stolarczyk hit a wonder shot from around 25 yards to pull one back.

Bonagee started to find their passing game which was encouraging and Matthew Decook equalised on 70 minutes to set up an interesting finish.

Keadue were very lively throughout and probably played the better football overall but this game could have went either way. On 80 minutes, Keadue got the winner when Bonagee keeper Peter O'Donnell made a fine save but couldn't hold onto the ball and Keadue's Ultan Boyle was there again for the tap in and his second of the day.

Referee: F Duff.