Gerry McLaughlin @dgldemocrat

The message is as crystal clear as the blue waters of the Atlantic at Towney. Kilcar are going to be serious contenders for the Dr Maguire Cup after a scintillating display of attacking football that simply blew a shell shocked St Michael’s away.

Kilcar 2-15 . . . . . St Michael’s 0-7

And once again it was those blue and gold blue bloods of McBrearty and McHugh that shone brightest in the arms of a lovely August afternoon on the edge of the Atlantic.

Paddy McBrearty struck 1-6, while younger brother Stephen McBrearty weighed in with 1-3.

And the dazzling Ryan McHugh may have hit only 0-3, but his searing runs, vision and will to win made him a clear man of the match.

Midfielder Ciaran McGinley also put in a superb hour while Michael Hegarty belied his years and helped nullify the threat of a relatively quiet Christy Toye, the hard working Colm McFadden and Martin McElhinney.

St Michael’s had a clear edge in physique, but Kilcar overcame this with their searing attacking play, quick release of the ball, constant off the ball movement and the ability to finish when it really mattered.

Goals win matches and there is no doubt but that those two crackers from Stephen and Paddy McBrearty were killer blows for Declan Bonner’s boys.

The first came in the 26th minute when Ciaran McGinley broke up a St Michael’s attack, ran 35 metres and found the inrushing Stephen McBrearty who blasted the ball to the St Michael’s net.

McBrearty’s mighty strike put Kilcar ahead by 1-5 to 0-3 and they led by 1-5 to 0-4 at the interval.

And the final killer goal came from Paddy McBrearty in the 50th minute when Ryan McHugh’s shot came back off the upright.

The ever-alert Paddy McBrearty grabbed the ball and buried it in the back of the net.

By then Kilcar had literally ran St Michaels’s ragged and the remainder of the match was shooting practice.

For a disappointing St Michael’s side, Colm McFadden tired hard to rally his harried troops, but he lacked support and his side went scoreless for 20 minutes in the second half.

But they never looked like breaking out of their highly defensive shell, leaving the smaller, lighter but nippier Kilcar free to express themselves at their great Gaelic shrine that holds the ghosts of some great legends.

Kilcar now meet Killybegs next week in Killybegs and St Michael’s meet St Eunan’s a true winner takes all tussle.

St Michael’s had a bright start when corner forward Andrew Kelly got them off the mark with a well converted point after just two minutes.

But it was the lighter but fleet- footed Kilcar who made the entire early running from the usual suspects.

And he shoulder dipping pacey Ryan and Eoin McHugh began carving holes in the massed St Michael’s defence on the firm dry sod of Towney.

But it was feisty veteran Michael Hegarty who got their first score, an angled score from the wing in the 4th minute.

That set the pattern for a period of dominance from the Towney men as the McHugh’s and McBrearty’s ran like dervishes at the Michael’s defence.

Paddy McBrearty, who was being double-teamed, converted a free for the home side in the fifth minute and younger brother Stephen pointed a free also to put them into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead.

Then the younger McBrearty struck a superb point with the outside of the boot.

But there was huge controversy in the 10th minute when Paddy McBrearty seemed to have swung over a great point from 45 metres.

However, referee Shaun McLaughlin ruled a wide after a consultation with an official, to the dismay of the big home crowd at sun splashed Towney.

But McBrearty’s clinically converted goal set the home side on the run to victory.

Martin McHugh’s men came out like a steam train in the early minutes of the second half.

But, they hit four wides in almost as many minutes as the expected St Michael’s surge simply evaporated.

The losers had some claims for a penalty in the 40th minute when it appeared that substitute Oisin Langan may have been hauled down in the square, but referee Shaun McLaughlin waved play on.

But they did get the benefit of a disputed point which was signalled wide by one umpire, but referee McLaughlin ruled a point after consultation with another official much to the relief of Colm McFadden.

But the Creeslough/Dunfanaghy men looked lethargic in the face of those blue and gold waves of attacks from players who have superb first touch and natural attacking instinct.

Yesterday was a pleasant distraction from the usual diet of two sides playing the blanket defence.

Kilcar have decided that the best way to rip the blanket is to have some razor sharp, pacey, and technically gifted players.

And that is hard to beat!

KILCAR: Eamon McGinley, Stephen Shovlin, Conor McShane; Pauric Carr; Barry Shovlin, Mark McHugh (0-1), Ryan McHugh (0-2); Ciaran McGinley, Michael Hegarty (0-1); Conor Doherty, Stephen McBrearty (1-31f) Eoin McHugh (0-1); Darragh O’Donnell, Patrick McBrearty (1-65f) Andrew McClean. Subs: Aidan McGinley (0-1f), for Darragh O’Donnell 54,

ST MICHAEL’S: Mark Anthony McGinley, Chris McElhinney, Stephen Doak, Michael Gallagher; Michael Cannon, Christy Toye, Daniel McLaughlin; Michael McGinley, Ciaran Gallagher; Martin McElhinney, Colm McFadden (0-2), Michael Langan (0-3f,145) Andrew Kelly (0-1) Brian McLaughlin, Ryan Langan. Subs: Oisin Langan for Brian McLaughlin (h-time), Liam Paul Ferry for Michael Cannon 43, Keelan McGee for Andrew Kelly 58

REFEREE: Shaun Paul McLaughlin (Malin)