Naomh Conaill hit five goals against Four Masters

Naomh Conaill hit five goals against Four Masters
Peter Campbell @dgldemocrat

The goalscoring power of Naomh Conaill blew Four Masters out of the water in Tirconaill Park with Leo

McLoone and Ciaran Thompson notching a brace each.

Four Masters . . . . . . . 1-11

Naomh Conaill . . . . . 5-12

The Glenties men gave notice that they are determined to hold on to the Dr. Maguire and are assured of a quarter-final spot after this big win.

Apart from McLoone, Naomh Conaill were dominant around the middle of the field. Michael Doherty did put up great resistance for the home side, but he was fighting a lone battle at times.

Four Masters were two points up at the break, but maybe it should have been just one, as the opening 'point' from Kevin McBrearty looked wide of the mark.

Naomh Conaill hit back when Ciaran Thompson's centre was allowed to hop and Leo McLoone had a simple tap to the net on four minutes.

Michael Doherty, who was the most prominent forward in the opening half, fired Four Masters back in front as he first timed to the net after a Conor 'Toasty' McMonagle high ball broke for him.

Seamus Corcoran levelled matters on 13 minutes and Dermot Molloy started and finished the next point. Michael Doherty then had the sides level again from fully 45m and close to the sideline.

With Naomh Conaill winning the midfield battle hands down, Eoin Waide got forward to hit two in succession by the 22nd minute, but the remainder of the half belonged to the Masters and especially Doherty, who hit two and was involved in the other two finished by Karl Lacey and Conor McDaid, to leave it 1-6 to 1-4 at the break.

The second half, though, proved to be one-sided. Naomh Conaill with the wind were on their way when Seamus Corcoran's lovely delayed pass sent Leo McLoone through to blast home his second on 34 minutes.

Four minutes later it was gave over as Brendan McDyer first pointed and then was set up by Dermot Molloy and Ciaran Thompson to fire home the third goal. A Conor McDaid free was followed by a second goal from Ciaran Thompson after a shot by Leon Thompson came back off a post.

From there to the end, it was a matter of playing out time and while Michael Doherty hit two for Four Masters, Eoin Waide, Eoghan McGettigan notched points while Ciaran Thompson fired home the fifth goal in the 50th minute after combining with John O'Malley.

Four Masters now have to go to go to Termon on Sunday with only a slim hope while Naomh Conaill host Gaoth Dobhair.

Naomh Conaill, even without the suspended Anthony Thompson, look real contenders.

FOUR MASTERS: James McDaid; Darren Walsh, Dylan Kennedy, Josh Lacey; Danny McGarrigle, Karl Lacey (0-1), Sean O'Kennedy; Patrick Reid, Kevin McBrearty; Emmett Doogan (0-1), Conor McMonagle, Luke Keaney; Barry Monaghan, Michael Doherty (1-6,1f), Conor McDaid (0-3,2f). Subs., Sean Meehan for McMonagle, Darren Doherty for Reid, both 40; Caolan Loughney for Doogan; Aaron McCrea for Walsh, both 53.

NAOMH CONAILL: Stephen McGrath; Aaron Thompson, AJ Gallagher, Kevin McGettigan; Marty Boyle, Eunan Doherty, Eoin Waide (0-3); Ciaran Thompson (2-0), Ethan O'Donnell; Seamus Corcoran (0-1), Dermot Molloy (0-3), James Doherty; Brendan McDyer (1-3), Leo McLoone (2-0), John O'Malley. Subs., Dara Gallagher for E O'Donnell inj 24; Cathal Ellis for A Thompson 37; Leon Thompson for J Doherty 40; Eoghan McGettigan (0-2) for K McGettigan 52; Stephen Molloy for E Doherty 56.

REFEREE: Seamus McGonagle (Aodh Ruadh).