First half goals set MacCumhaill's on their way

Sean MacCumhaill’s got their championship season back on track with a comfortable win over 14 man Glenfin in MacCumhaill Park.

Sean MacCumhaill's 3-16

Glenfin . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-10

The winners laid the foundation for the victory in the first half thanks to three goals, two from Aaron Kelly and one from Darren O’Leary. They led by 11 points, 3-7 to 0-5, at the break.

Glenfin’s cause was not helped by the loss of All-Star defender Frank McGlynn to a straight red card in the middle of the second quarter.

Martin O’Reilly got away from Frank McGlynn for the game's opening score on three minutes.

And MacCumhaill’s went two up shortly after when Darren O’Leary converted from 40 metres following a foul on Aaron Kelly.

Glenfin, after two wides, were up and up and running when Conor McBride got on the end of a sweeping move with just seven minutes on the clock.

But the men from the Gaeltacht Lár were reeling on eight minutes when Aaron Kelly intercepted close to the Glenfin goals and from ten metres gave Liam O’Meara no chance, for a 1-2 to 0-1 lead.

Conor McBride had opened the Glenfin account a minute earlier with a well taken point.

Glenfin responded with two more McBride points and one from Gerard Ward to cut the lead, 1-2 to 0-4.

But MacCumhaill's went up a gear, driven on by Gary Wilson and James Lynch in the middle of the field and with Kelly and Lafferty carving the openings up front, they hit 2-5 to Glenfin’s solitary point in the second quarter to take a firm grip on the game.

O’Leary struck for goal number two on 20 minutes after Barney Lafferty rounded two defenders before releasing the number 14 who had the simple task of driving into an empty net.

And to add to Glenfin’s woes Frank McGlynn received his marching orders shortly after for a late challenge on Andrew McCloskey.

That was on 21 minutes and with Glenfin a man down, MacCumhaill's took full advantage and Lafferty (2), John Lynch, Aaron Kelly all landed points, before Kelly struck for goal number three on the stroke of half-time for an 11 point margin.

The margin was out to 14 nine minutes into the new half thanks to points from O’Leary (free), and two from John Lynch, one from a placed ball.

In fairness to Glenfin they battled bravely and Conor McBride converted from a free and Gerard Ward scored a brilliant individual goal to raise Glenfin hopes.

Ward followed up with a point from a free to reduce the margin further. But MacCumhaill's stepped it up again.

And they added further points from Martin O’Reilly (2), O’Leary, Kelly, Wilson and Alan Patton to round off the scoring.

Glenfin’s Gerard Ward brought the curtain down on the scoring with a late free.

SEAN MACUMHAILL’S: Chris Patton; Joe Dunnion, Marty Gallagher, Ronan McMenamin; Gary Dunnion, John Lynch (0-3), Alan Patton (0-1); Gary Wilson (0-1), James Lynch; Aaron Kelly (2-2), Martin O’Reilly (0-3), Andrew McCloskey; Brian Lafferty (0-2), Darren O’Leary (1-4,4f), Adam Lynch. Subs: Conor Griffin for m Gallagher 36 inj, Stephen Mulligan for B Lafferty 55 inj.

GLENFIN: Liam O’Meara; David Carr, Gary Herron, Kyle Doherty; Jason Morrow, Frank McGlynn, Stephen McGlynn; Patrick McGrath, Michael McGlynn; Daniel McGlynn, Paddy O’Connor, Stephen Carr; Conor McBride (0-6,4f), Gerard Ward (1-4,4f), Kevin McGlynn. Subs: Daniel Harkin for K Doherty, Stephen Ward for P O’Connor h/t, Ciaran Foy for K McGlynn 46

REFEREE: Michael McShane (Kilcar).