Shamrock Rovers impose another defeat on faltering Finn Harps


Shamrock Rovers impose another defeat on faltering Finn Harps

By Diarmaid Doherty

Finn Harps’ troubles show no sign of easing following Friday night’s defeat to Shamrock Rovers at Finn Park.

Finn Harps 0

Shamrock Rovers 2

It’s five defeats on the trot now for Harps, and worryingly they haven’t managed a goal in any of those games.

They played well in the first half against Rovers, but conceded two second half goals on what was another disappointing night in Ballybofey.

The Rovers goals came from Sean Boyd eight minutes after the restart and substitute, Dean Clarke, 11 minutes from the end.

The only positive from the night were defeats to both Wexford Youths (1-0 against Dundalk) and Longford Town (5-2 away to Cork City).

It means it's as you were at the bottom end of the Premier Division.

Harps included Gareth Harkin for the first time since he picked up a knee injury in Longford back in June.

Harkin was part of a midfield that was dominant in the opening stages with Michael Funston and Tony McNamee catching the eye.

Neither team created any real openings until just after the half hour when Sean Houston's brilliant run from deep ended with his pass to Ruairí Keating. The striker's shot was well saved by Craig Hyland in the visiting goal.

At the end of a scrappy first half, Rovers had their best chance but Trevor Clarke's inviting cross from the left just evaded the inrushing Gary Shaw.

However, not long after the restart, Rovers did make the breakthrough when Miele slipped a delightful pass to Sean Boyd who finished well past Richard Brush.

They got their second on 79 minutes, Dean Clarke finishing to the net after a brilliant break-away move.

Finn Harps: Richard Brush, Ethan Boyle, Ciaran Coll, Keith Cowan, Packie Mailey, Barry Molloy (Ryan Curran 73), Michael Funston (Adam Hanlon 73), Sean Houston, Gareth Harkin, Ruairí Keating, Tony McNamee (Kevin McHugh 82)..

Shamrock Rovers: Craig Hyland, Rob Cornwall, Shane Hanney, David O'Connor, Gary McCabe (Stephen McPhail 70), Simon Madden, Pat Cregg, Sean Boyd, Brandon Miele (Killian Brennan 75), Gary Shaw (Dean Clarke 70), Trevor Clarke.

Referee: Robert Rogers.