Four Masters blow eight point lead


Four Masters blow eight point lead

The top of the table clash between Four Masters and Milford ended in a draw, with Four Masters left wondering how they blew an eight- point lead.

Four Masters . . . . . . . . 2-8

Milford . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-8

A soccer style goal from Kyle Black of Milford gave the visitors a draw five minutes from time as the game edged towards a pretty frenetic conclusion.

And despite being in charge for considerable periods the Masters will be truly wondering how they did not come out with two points.

But, all credit to Milford, who trailed for considerable periods, but hung tough, to eventually eke out a precious point.

Four Masters started the game on fire, hitting a number of excellent scores early in the game. Michael Doherty and Kevin McBrearty struck some good points before an excellent move was finished off with Darren Doherty finding the net with ease.

Sean O’Kennedy extended the lead instantly with another point for Four Masters.

Milford hit their first score after a full eighteen minutes from a long range Cathal McGettigan free kick.

The visitors then started to get on top for the next ten minutes, hitting a number of scores in a row to leave it 1-6 to 0-5 at half time for the Masters.

Four Masters made another strong start to the second half, with Michael Doherty hitting a point before Barry Monaghan finished superbly to the net after a high ball in, broke his way.

The score at stage was 2-07 to 0-05 with Four Masters looking set for a win.

But, gritty Milford their work-rate and started to dominate breaking ball to get back into the game.

Milford hit the next three points in a row after the goal before a high ball into the Four Masters square was cleverly sent to the net by Joey Cullen to make it a two point game.

Gary Merritt then got black-carded for the visitors, before Conor McMonagle extended the Masters lead to three points.

Undaunted, Milford struck late to level the game with a Kyle Black goal after the ball was broke down to him and his slotted home soccer style.

A tense last five minutes boiled over on a couple of occasions with Connie Doherty giving Paddy Peoples a black card for a rugby tackle on Michael Doherty. Despite Four Masters being the better team for large spells of the game their inability to finish matters cost them in the end with Milford showing great heart to earn a draw.

Four Masters: James McDaid, Darren Walsh, Dylan Kennedy, Danny McGarrigle; Barry Dunnion, Luke Keaney, Sean O’Kennedy (0-1); Patrick Reid, Kevin McBrearty (0-1); Darren Doherty (1-2), Conor McMonagle (0-2, 2fs), Josh Lacey; Barry Monaghan (1-0), Dillon Muldoon, Michael Doherty (0-2). Subs used: Emmett Doogan, Jason Carr

Milford: Caolan McGettigan, Gavin Grier, Sean Black, Conor McNulty; Anthony Fisher, Paddy Peoples, Gary Merritt (0-1), Joey Cullen (1-1), Jonny Logue; Christopher Barrett, Pauric Curley (0-1), Cathal McGettigan (0-1); Kyle Black (1-1), Darragh Black (0-2), David Curley (0-1). Subs: PJ Hagan for McNulty, Kieran Sheridan for Merritt. Enda McHugh, Barry McNulty, Cormac Friel, Dean Burgess, Caolan Bolton, Sean Gallagher.Referee: Connie Doherty (N Conaill)

Goal the difference for Glenfin

Goals win matches, as home side Glenfin clearly showed in this narrow but valuable victory over a youthful Killybegs side at Pairc Taobhoige.

Glenfin 1-10

Killybegs 0-11

Centre-back Stephen McGlynn was the home side’s hero as he showed great composure and skill to find the net in the 25th minute of a well contested opening half.

To their credit, Killybegs refused to yield, but despite considerable efforts, they were never really able to recover from McGlynn’s crucial strike.

Otherwise, this was an evenly balanced match with neither team really stamping their authority on the game.

Killybegs got off the mark with a pointed free in the 1st minute from Evan Broderick.

It took Glenfin seven minutes before they levelled with a point from play from Gerard Ward.

Conor McBride put Glenfin one up in the 10th minute pointing a free and Killybegs levelled the match in the 16th minute with another free from Broderick.

Killybegs took control then for a period and scored 3 points two more from Broderick and one from Donal McGuire to put them 3 points up.

Paddy O'Connor pulled Glenfin back to two in the 22nd minute before a well worked individual goal from centre half back Sephen McGlynn gave Glenfin that oh so precious cushion.

Glenfin finished the first half with two more points, one from Conor McBride and another from Paddy O'Connor to leave it Glenfin 1-5 to Killybegs 0-5.

Killybegs started sharply in the second and Christopher Murrin had the ball over the bar in the second minute.

Daniel McGlynn slotted over a point for the home side to put them three clear.

A free from Killybegs goalkeeper Kevin Martin brought the margin back to two points before Jason Morrow in the 20th minute put Glenfin three in front again.

Christopher Murrin and Daniel O'Keeney added two points from play, to bring the margin down to just one point with ten minutes left.

But Gerard Ward crucially hit two points from play for Glenfin in the 24th minute.

However Christopher Murrin added another for Killybegs to leave two points between the sides going into the last few minutes.

Daniel O'Keeney added another for Killybegs, before Paddy O Connor finished of the scoring with a fine point to leave Glenfin with the points and two priceless home points.

Glenfin scorers: Gerard Ward (0-3), Paddy O Connor (0-3 1f), Stephen McGlynn (1-0), Conor McBride (0-2), Daniel McGlynn (0-1), Jason Morrow (0-1).

Killybegs scorers: Evan Broderick (0-42f), Christopher Murrin (0-3), Daniel O Keeney (0-2), Donal McGuire (0-1), Kevin Martin(0-1f).

All square in Falcarragh

A poignant one minute's silence in memory of Cloughaneely club- man Séamus MacGéidigh preceded what was a very important, high intensity home game for the Cloughaneely men.

Cloughaneely . . . . . . . . . . . 0-12

Malin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-12

The home side was first on the scoreboard and knocked over 3 unanswered points within the first 11 mins thanks to the finishing touches of Shaun McGuire and John McGarvey.

Malin’s response began in the 16th minute, when Malin top scorer Matthew Byrne knocked over the visitors first point of the day.

CCF’s Cillian Gallagher got his name on the score sheet on the 21st minute, a point that was quickly cancelled out by Byrne again.

Further first points for the home side came from John McGarvey and Shaun McGarvey, with Damien Harkin and a converted free from Anthony Kelly adding to the visitors tally.

Just before the half-time whistle Malin’s Gary Farren found Brendan McLaughlin who took a shot on target that hit the upright before being cleared to safety by CCF’s Michael McCausland, to leave the home team leading by 0-7 to 0-4.

The Cloughaneely men got off to a storming start to the second half with Shaun McGarvey feeding Shaun McGuire with a perfect ball to register the first point straight from throw-in.

CCF again won the subsequent kick out which Shaun McGarvey knocked over to put the home side five points ahead.

Malin then stepped up a gear and managed to keep CCF scoreless for a period of 20 minutes.

Malin points were attributed to an array of scorers from Matthew Byrne, Brendan McLaughlin, Stephen McLaughlin, Declan Walsh and Anthony Kelly; which saw Malin go one point ahead of CCF in the 50th min which made for a nail biting final 10 mins.

Shaun McGarvey managed to bring the game level for the 2nd time in the game with a 23rd min converted free; however Matthew Byrne, having received the ball from the kickout, again put Malin one point ahead after a storming run down the middle.

CCF substitute Lee O’Brien did excellent work to win the ball, after a goal- mouth scramble, and knock over a point in the dying seconds of normal time to put CCF a point ahead.

In the second of injury time Malin were then awarded a free that Brendan McLaughlin easily converted to tie up a real thriller.

Cloughaneely: Ciaran Gallagher, Ciaran McGeady, Paul McFadden, John Harley; Ciaran McFadden, Paddy Cannon, Ronan Cannon; Darren McGeever, Michael McCausland; John McGarvey (0-2), Kevin Mulhern, Shaun McGarvey (0-4, 1F); Martin McGuire, Shaun McGuire (0-4, 1F), Cillian Gallagher (0-1). Subs: Lee O’Brien (0-1) for John Harley (44 ), Darren Ferry for John McGarvey (48 ), Eugene McGuire for Martin McGuire (49)

Malin: Darragh McLaughlin, Michael McLaughlin, Conor Farren, Gary Farren; Kieron McColgan, Declan Walsh (0-1), Paul McLaughlin; Anthony Kelly (0-2, 1F), Christopher McLaughlin; Stephen McLaughlin (0-1), Daniel McDaid, Brendan McLaughlin (0-2, F); Matthew Byrne (0-5, 1F), Seamus Houton, Damien Harkin (0-1).