Termon fall short against Bundoran

By Diarmaid Doherty Sport@donegaldemocrat.com @dgldemocrat

At half-time on Sunday, Bundoran, leading by 0-12 to 1-1, looked to be easing their way to victory at the Burn Road.

Termon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-6

Bundoran . . . . . . . . . . . 0-17

But two quick-fire goals in the opening minute of the second half, one each from the McDaid brothers, Daire and Keelan, turned this game right on its head.

All of a sudden there was only a point in it. Then by the seventh minute of the half, Termon were level thanks to two Daire McDaid frees.

It was an amazing turnaround. Up until then, it had been a game that was so one-sided in the first half that it was difficult to see what the home side could do to thwart the incessant threat of Bundoran.

Termon had opened this game with a clinically taken goal from Daire McDaid on four minutes. They followed that with a point from Johnny McCafferty on 11, but amazingly wouldn’t score for the remainder of the half.

In contrast, time and again, the visitors were able to win possession and cut through the Termon defence. They kicked some wonderful scores as the rain came down with Mikey McEniff and Jamie Brennan particularly accurate.

Christy Keeney knocked over three placed balls, including two ‘45s.

They led by eight points at half-time. But the McDaid brothers, Daire and then Keelan, both found the corner of the net with two clinical finishes inside the opening minute of the half.

With the sides level at 3-3 to 0-12, the teams would trade scores and going into the final ten minutes, they remained level, 3-6 to 0-15.

But Bundoran finished the stronger and two brilliant stops from Michael Boyle in the Termon goal denied Timmy Govorov and then Keeney.

The visitors however, weren’t to be denied. They eventually nosed ahead when Keeney fisted over after a flowing Bundoran move.

Mikey McEniff, who had an excellent game for Bundoran at midfield, kicked the insurance point to round off an impressive win.

Termon: Michael Boyle; Anthony McGrenra, Kevin McDaid, Shane Callaghan; James McSharry, Kevin McElwaine, Paul McDaid; Stephen McElwaine, Brendan Friel; Daire McDaid (2-5, 3f), Nathan McElwaine, Fintan O’Flynn; Keelan McDaid (1-0), Johnny McCafferty (0-1), Aidan Sweeney. Subs: James Gallagher for P McDaid (24), Kevin McMenamin for K McElwaine (half time), Kevin McElwaine for McGrenra (black card 33), Daniel Cunningham for McSharry (46).

Bundoran: Conor Carty; Diarmuid McCaughey, Peter McGonigle (0-1), Matthew Ward; Shane Moohan, Paul Brennan, Barry McGowan; Mikey McEniff (0-6), Ciaran McCaughey; Timmy Govorov (0-1), Alan Russell, Jamie Brennan (0-3); Tommy Hourihane (0-1), Christy Keaney (0-4, 2 ‘45s, 1f), Shane McGowan Subs: Johnny Boyle for D. McCaughey (black card 44), Daragh Hoey (0-1) for Hourihane (45), James Morris for S Moohan (55).

Referee: Paddy McGonigle (Buncrana).