Kilcar come good in the second half

Tom Comack @dgldemocrat

Kilcar took another step towards an Division One league title with a comfortable win over St Eunan’s in O’Donnell Park on Saturday night.

Kilcar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-9

St Eunan’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-10

Kilcar were worth every one of the five point win after putting in a storming second half performance.

The two teams were short their county players with Kilcar minus the McHugh brothers, Mark and Ryan, their cousin Eoin and the McBrearty brothers, Patrick and Stephen.

Rory Kavanagh, Eamon Doherty and Caolan Ward were absent from the St. Eunan’s lineup which was also minus Conall Dunne, Darragh Mulgrew, Cillian and Conor Morrison and Lee McMonagle and they lost their influential midfielder Kevin Rafferty early on to injury.

Despite being understrength and after a slow start St Eunan’s, playing into a stiffish crossfield breeze, had the better of the first half exchanges and led 0-5 to 0-1 after 29 minutes. Conor Gibbons (2), Sean Hensey, Darragh McWalter and Paddy McGowan kicked the points in response to Dara O’Donnell’s sole Kilcar strike.

A Mark Sweeney goal on the half hour mark after a penetrating run from Ciaran McGinley was to prove the game’s defining score.

And when Aodhan McGinley popped over Kilcar’s second point a minute later, Martin McHugh’s men were back in the game and went in level, 0-5 to 1-2, at half-time.

Three Kilcar points in the opening two minutes, from Ciaran McGinley, Aodhan McGinley and Michael Hegarty, set the tone for the second half.

And with Ciaran McGinley and Michael Hegarty taking complete control around the middle of the field the points were in the bag when Hegarty struck for Kilcar’s second goal.

That was on 41 minutes and a super goal it was as Hegarty raced down the middle of the St Eunan’s defence, played a quick one two with Conor Doherty, before planting the ball in the left corner of the net with his left boot. Kilcar 2-6 to 0-7!

And with McGinley and Hegarty continuing to rule the roost and Conor Doherty, Aodhan McGinley and Dara O’Donnell playing well up front, Kilcar kicked on.

Kevin Campbell - with the point of the game, Ciaran McGinley and Cormac Cannon all raised white flags to make the precious league points safe.

Patrick McGowan, who kicked four of his side’s second half point, and Mark Forde responded for St Eunan’s.

But Kilcar were never in danger and with six games remaining they are in pole position for league honours. The defeat, their second in-a-row, all but ends St Eunan’s league ambitions.

Kilcar: Eamonn McGinley; Stephen Shovlin, Conor McShane, Patrick Gallagher; Andrew McClean, Barry Shovlin, Cormac Cannon (0-1); Ciaran McGinley (0-2), Michael Hegarty (1-1); Mark Sweeney (1-0), Aodhan McGinley (0-2, 1f), Conor Doherty (0-1); Kevin Campbell (0-1), Dara O'Donnell (0-1), Declan Gallagher.

St Eunan's: Conor Halvey; Dylan Sweeney, Cormac Coghlan, Conor Parke; Peter Devine, Daire McWalters (0-1), Mark Forde (0-1); Sean Hensey (0-1), Kevin Rafferty; Brian MacIntyre, Sean McVeigh, Kevin Kealy; Patrick McGowan (0-5 4f), John Haran, Conor Gibbons (0-2,1f). Subs: Conall O'Boyle for D McWalters, Darragh McWalters for K Rafferty (12), Daniel Gillespie for C Coghlan (37), Oisin Clarke for S Hensey (45)

Referee: Enda McFeely (Convoy).