Valuable win for Dungloe over Ardara as game ends with melee

Valuable win for Dungloe over Ardara as game ends with melee
Martina O'Reilly @dgldemocrat

Dungloe gained two more points on the League table, defeating Arara by two points in Rosses Park on Saturday evening in a game that was played in true championship fashion but ended in an angry melee with seconds to go to full time.

Dungloe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-14

Ardara . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0-15

The teams were evenly matched in the first 20 mins trading points at either end of the field. Stefan Boyle opened the scoring of the game, pointing for Ardara in first minute. Gerard Walsh levelled matters a minute later. A Brendan McNelis free was cancelled out by a fine point from corner forward Adrian Sweeney.

Ardara went ahead again with a point from Peter McHugh before the home side pulled two in front with points from Adam Neely and Adrian Sweeney. Brendan McNelis and Conor Classon pointed for Ardara as the game entered the second quarter. Adrian Sweeney and Lorcan O'Donnell traded points before Ryan Greene (f), Martin Redmond (long range free), Shaun SHakery and Adam Neely finished the scoring of the first half to leave the half-time score, Dungloe 0-9 Ardara 0-6.

Dungloe opened the scoring of the second half from the throw-in when Adrian Sweeney finished after Paul McGarvey sent Darren Curran on his way to goals; Curran offloaded to Sweeney who duly converted. A Brendan McNelis free and points from Stefan Boyle narrowed the gap after 38 mins. Brendan McNelis levelled and Peter McHugh had the visitors in front again on 41 mins. Points from Shaun Sharkey (2) and Adrian Sweeney lifted the home side and put them 2 clear after 46 minutes.

Substitute Barry Curran put three between the sides pointing on 47 mins but Joe Melly replied.

The only goal of the game came on 51 mins when Martin Redmond fired to the back of the net after a fine move involving Barry Curran and Adrian Sweneey.

Dungloe's Gavin Ward was black carded on 53 mins and Brendan McNelis converted the free before his teammate Kenneth Doherty was black carded. Martin Redmond was dismissed on 2 yellows as the game entered the last 3 mins and CJ Molloy tapped over the free and a Brendan McNelis free was to be the last kick of the game as Raymond Sweeney was left stretched in front of the goals in an off the ball incident which led to some unsavoury scenes and Ardara's CJ Molloy was dismissed. When play resumed referee Robbie O'Donnell blew the final whistle.

Dungloe: Danny Rodgers, Jack Scally, Raymond Sweeney, Gavin Ward, Matthew Ward, Martin Redmond (1-1,‘45’), Darren Curran, Shaun Sharkey (0-3), Paul McGarvey, Mark Sweeney, Noel McBride, Gerard Walsh (0-1), Adrian Sweeney (0-5,1f), Adam Neely (0-2), Ryan Greene (0-1f). Subs Eoin Scally for Jack Scally, Hugh Moy for Adam Neely, Barry Curran (0-1) for Mark Sweeney, James McCole for Gavin Ward Black Card, Mark Sweeney for Gerard Walsh inj.

Ardara: Michael Maloney, Nicholas Breslin, Declan Gavigan, Nicholas Maguire, Ryan Malley, Kenneth Doherty, Joe Melly (0-1), Conor Classon(0-1) Brendan McNelis (0-6,6f) Lorcan O'Donnell (0-1), Peter McHugh (0-2), Paul Watters, Gareth Concarr, CJ Molloy (0-1,f), Stefan Boyle (0-3,1f). Subs: Kevin Whyte for Declan Gavigan inj, Simon Breslin for Stefan Boyle, Steven Boyle for Kenneth Doherty black card.

Referee Robbie O'Donnell (N Muire)