Last gasp goal gives Glenswilly first league win

Bundoran can feel hard done by

Last gasp goal gives Glenswilly first league win
Diarmaid Doherty @dgldemocrat

Patrick McFadden was the unlikely match-winner as Glenswilly earned a fortunate victory over Bundoran on Saturday evening.

GLENSWILLY . . . . . . . . . 3-3

BUNDORAN . . . . . . . . . . 1-7

The corner back scrambled home a goal almost seven minutes into injury time at the finish to give his team a dramatic two-point win.

Even the Glenswilly players, however, will admit that they got out of jail big time with this victory.

Bundoran will be disappointed with the result but they will feel even more frustrated at the performance of the match referee, Liam McConigley.

The Downings official was far from flavour of the month with the visitors, particularly in the second half. Time and again, Glenswilly benefitted from some very soft decisions. Mind you, the home side failed to take advantage, kicking some woeful wides from very scorable positions.

The winning goal from McFadden also came after the referee awarded a free to the home side following a challenge on Ciaran Bonner.

Just before that, Jamie Brennan had kicked a wonderful score for Bundoran to put them a point ahead and on their way to what would have been only their second win of the campaign.

That score came just after Bundoran were reduced to 13 men when Christy Keaney picked up a second yellow.

Earlier in the half Bundoran midfielder Ciaran McCaughey was also shown a second yellow.

In difficult conditions on a sodden pitch, this was far from a classic and Bundoran held a one-point lead at the break, 0-4 to 0-3.

But Glenswilly, who really missed the absent Neil Gallagher and Michael Murphy, and the suspended Gary McFadden, scored their opening goal immediately after the restart when the ball seemed to go in off Bundoran's Shane McGowan.

As Glenswilly kicked a succession of poor wides, points from Michael McEniff and Jamie Brennan had Bundoran back level with eight minutes left.

Tommy Hourihane flicked home a brilliant goal to put Bundoran 1-6 to 1-3 in front a minute into added time.

But in a franctic finish, Glenswilly levelled when Eamonn Ward finished Gerard McGrenra's delivery to the net.

Jamie Brennan looked to have won it for the visitors with a delightful score.

However, in the last passage of play deep in injury time, Ciaran Bonner dropped a ball into a crowded goalmouth and Patrick McFadden bundled it to the net.

Glenswilly: J Gallagher; P McFadden (1-0), E Ward (1-0), A McDevitt; O Crawford, C Marley (0-1), C Callaghan; C Bonner, C Gallagher; P Diver, D McGinley (0-1), J Gibbons; C McMonagle, P O'Donnell (0-1 f), B Farrelly. Subs: C Gibbons for Diver (35); G McGrenra for Farrelly (55).

Bundoran: C Carty; N McGonigle, D McCahey, J Boyle; J Brennan (0-2), P Brennan, S McGowan (1-0 og); C McCaughey, P McGonigle; D Hoey (0-1), A Russell (0-2), M McEniff (0-1); T Hourihane (1-1), C Keaney, N Dunne. Subs: P Rooney for N McGonigle (24); B McGowan for Rooney (55); Rooney for P Brennan (black card (74).

Referee: L McConigley (Downings)