Kilcar have it all their own way

Kilcar have it all their own way
Peter Campbell @dgldemocrat

Two points inside the first minute set the pattern as Kilcar had it their own way against an understrength and lifeless Naomh Conaill in Towney on Friday night in Towney.

Kilcar . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-16

Naomh Conaill . . . . 0-7

Only two of the 3-16 came from frees as Kilcar looked strong, but they will wonder just how good they are as this was a very poor Naomh Conaill side, who were without a number of regulars including Leo McLoone, Darragh Gallagher, Brendan McDyer, Marty Boyle and Ciaran Thompson.

Eoin McHugh was the only notable absentee for Kilcar, who were able to rest Ryan McHugh (41mins) and Patrick McBrearty and Ciaran McGinley in final ten minutes. McBrearty looked very sharp but McHugh wasn't as energetic as usual.

Kilcar had four points on the board before John O'Malley opened the Naomh Conaill account from a free. However, the one-way scoring continued with the opening goal on 15 minutes. Andrew McClean had a free role to attack from corner back when John O'Malley was withdrawn to sweep for Naomh Conaill and he took full advantage to take a pass from Mark McHugh and squeeze home at the near post.

The second goal came within two minutes and was the score of the game. A fantastic high catch by Ciaran McGinley and quick release put Patrick McBrearty through and he drew the defence before laying it on a plate for Matthew McClean to palm home.

By half-time eight Kilcar players were on the scoring list as they led 2-9 to 0-4, Eoin Waide's 29th minute strike the only score from play for the visitors.

The second half continued in the same vein and a third goal on 36 minutes put to bed any distinct hopes of a Naomh Conaill revival. Again it was a high catch (this time by Michael Hegarty) which led to Stephen McBrearty through on goal. His effort with the outside of the right, came back off the putt off the post across the goal and perfectly into the path of brother Patrick to slide home.

It could have been worse but for two magnificent stops by Stephen McGrath from Stephen McBrearty while Cathal Ellis deflected another goalbound effort from McBrearty over the crossbar. Ciaran McGinley also landed the point of the game from the sideline on his wrong side.

Late in the game, Ethan O'Donnell should have had a goal for Naomh Conaill, but his effort from close range went just over.

But overall, there was little comfort for Naomh Conaill while Kilcar are in good shape for their important tilt with St. Eunan's on Sunday week in the big championship encounter in O'Donnell Park. Andrew McClean is becoming a very important player for them, but much will depend on their midfield partnership of McGinley and Hegarty as they seem to have plenty of firepower up front

These sides could meet again in the championship and one would expect a much more fiery affair as referee Andrew Mullin didn't have to produce one card on Friday night.

Kilcar: Kevin Campbell; Andrew McClean (1-1), Conor McShane, Pauric Carr; Barry Shovlin (0-1), Mark McHugh (0-1), Cormac Cannon; Ciaran McGinley (0-2), Michael Hegarty; Matthew McClean (1-0), Ryan McHugh (0-1), Stephen McBrearty (0-3); Aodhan McGinley (0-2,1f), Patrick McBrearty (1-4,1f), Mark Sweeney (0-1). Subs., Conor Doherty for R McHugh 41; Darragh O'Donnell for P McBrearty 49; Pauric McShane for C McGinley 52

Naomh Conaill: Stephen McGrath; Aaron Thompson, Logan Quinn, Kevin McGettigan; Cathal Ellis (0-1), Ethan O'Donnell (0-1), Eoin Waide (0-1); Charles McGuinness, Anthony Thompson (0-1); Eunan Doherty, Seamus Corcoran, Dermot Molloy (0-2,2f); John O'Malley (0-1,f), Leon Thompson, Paul McGuinness. Subs., Joe Kennedy for D Molloy 37; Ultan Doherty for P McGuinness 46; Hughie Gallagher for C McGuinness 50.

Ref: A Mullin (Killybegs).