Third quarter surge enough for St. Michael's against Termon

Third quarter surge enough for St. Michael's against Termon
Tom Comack @dgldemocrat

St Michael’s bounced back from last weekend’s heavy defeat to St Eunan’s in O’Donnell Park, with a seven point victory over Termon, at the Bridge on Saturday night.

St Michael’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-9

Termon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-8

With Martin McElhinney the only one of four county men featuring, St Michael’s laid the foundation for their third league win in five outings in a ten minute scoring burst early in the second half.

In that period - between the 33rd and 43rd minutes they scored a goal and four points without response to open up a seven point advantage.

That was after two quickfire Termon points from the McDaid brothers, Caolan and Daire, had wiped out their two point 0-4 to 0-2 half-time advantage.

The absent county men Mark Anthony McGinley, Christy Toye and Colm McFadden missed the game through injuries picked up at county training last week. McGinley was ruled out with a knee injury while the veteran attackers Toye and McFadden missed the game suffering from groin injuries. .

The game also marked the first start of the season for another former county man Peter Witherow after a lengthy layoff.

St Michael’s, the reigning league champions, played with the wind in the first half and reeled off three points in the opening five minutes, two from Andrew Kelly either side of a super point from Michael Langan.

Amazingly the locals did not score again despite dominating the possession stakes for close on 25 minutes when Michael Cannon drove forward from wing back to land a good point from just inside the Termon 45.

In between, Termon, who hustled and harried at the back and who had Sean O’Donnell playing in a sweeper/playmaker role, landed two points of their own. .

Daire McDaid produced some wizardry to escape from Michael Gallagher to stroke over the first on ten minutes and Aidan Sweeney polished off a good move with a super strike seven minutes later.

This score left the minimum between the sides and the Burn Road followers the happier.

But as often is the case good teams can cope with the conditions. And with Michael McGinley and Andrew Kelly picking up the gauntlet and Martin McElhinney making a number of strong runs St Michael’s took a firm grip.

Andrew Kelly, Michael McGinley and Michael Cannon kicked good poiints to open up a three point advantage once more for Eddie Harkin’s young side before Andrew Kelly sunk the first dagger with the first of his two goals.

The goal came after good combination and double one twos between Oisin Langan and Kieran Kelly, before Langan laid off to Andrew Kelly who made no mistake with only Conor Tinney between him and the net.

Leading 1-8 to 0-4 and 43 minutes on the clock, St Michael’s were in the box seats for the two precious league points.

Coalan and Daire McDaid converted two frees each and Raymond McLaughlin found the range from a placed ball at the other end before Andrew Kelly sunk dagger number two in the first minute of injury time to give the final margin a somewhat flattering look to it.

St Michael’s: Dean McColgan; Stephen Doak, Peter Witherow, Michael Gallagher; Michael Cannon (0-2), Michael McGinley (0-1) , Liam Paul Ferry; Kieran Kelly, Martin McElhinney; Michael Langan (0-1), Ciaran Gallagher, Keelan McGee; Brian McLaughlin, Andrew Kelly (2-3,3f), Raymond McLaughlin (0-2,2f). Subs: Oisin Langan for B McLaughlin 4 inj, Stephen Coyle for McGee(48, Chris McElhinney for K Kelly 56, James Henry Alcorn and Lorcan McDaid for R McLaughlin and P Witherow 62.

Termon: Conor Tinney; Paul McDaid, Kevin McDaid, Shane Callaghan; Nathan McElwaine, Kevin McElwaine, Daniel Connaghan; Caolan Mellett, Ricky Gallagher; Johnny McCafferty, Sean O’Donnell, Aidan Sweeney (0-1); Daire McDaid (0-4,1f), Caolan McDaid (0-3,2f), Kevin McMenamin. Subs: Steve McElwaine for J McCafferty 19, Joe English and James Doherty for P McDaid and O’Donnell 46

Referee: Enda McFeely (Convoy).