First wins for Glenfin and Killybegs

Glenfin off the mark with first win

Glenfin secured their first points of the season with six point win over Cloughaneely in Pairc Taobhoige.

Glenfin . . . . 0-13 Cloughaneely . . . . 0-7

Glenfin played against the wind in the first half but got off to the better start and were 0-5 to 0-1 up after 15 minutes.

And while Cloughaneely scored twice Frank McGlynn, who had fine game in the middle of the field, restored the locals’ four point advantage with ten minutes left in the first half.

Cloughaneely points from Martin Maguire and Ciaran McFadden reduced the margin to the minimum and Glenfin went in 0- 6 to 0-5 in front at half-time.

Paddy O’Connor kicked three early points on the resumption to restore Glenfin’s four point advantage. Martin Maguire pulled a point back for the visitors but two quick Michael McGlynn points saw the locals pull five clear. Maguire again reduced the margin to four. But in the closing minutes Frank McGlynn tagged on two late points for the much needed win

Glenfin: Brendan O’Meara; Martin O’Donnell, Ronan Gallagher, Gareth Martin; Steven McGlynn, Daniel Harkin, Jason Morrow (0-1); Stephen Ward, Frank McGlynn (0-3); Daniel McGlynn, Paddy O’Connor (0-5), Gary Dorrian; Ciaran Foy, Michael McGlynn (0-3), Kevin McGlynn (0-1). Subs: Kyle Doherty for M O’Donnell; David Carr for G Martin; Martin O‘Donnell for R Gallagher. onor McBride for C Foy.

Cloughaneely: Sean McClafferty; Paul McFadden, Lee O’Brien, Kevin McFadden; Ronan Cannon, Ciaran Scanlon, Eugene. Maguire; Ciaran McFadden (0-1), Kevin Mulhern;John McGarvey, Darren Ferry, Gerard Gallagher; Mark Harley, Shaun Maguire (0-1), Martin Maguire (0-5)

Killybegs win in the Banks

Killybegs registered their first win of the league campaign against fellow strugglers Naomh Muire, at the Banks.

Killybegs . . . 2-10 Naomh Muire . . . 1-8

Killybegs led 1-7 to 0-4 at half time with Paul Cunningham pouncing for the all important goal on the half hour mark.

Hugh McFadden converted three early frees for the visitors while Ryan Ward, Christopher Murrin, Shane Molloy and Eoghan Ban Gallagher also raised white flags. Harry Harden kicked the Naomh Muire points.

Padraig McCafferty tied up the game with an early Naomh Muire goal seconds after Hugh McFadden had been shown a black card.

But it was the visitors rose to the challenge and produced a strong finish to run out deserving five point winners.

Naomh Muire: Brian Grant; Robbie O'Donnell, Brian Gillespie, Shaun Gallagher; Cian Boyle, Aidy O'Gara (0-1), Adam O'Brien; Jack O'Brien, Patrick Gallagher; Jack Byrne, Padraig McCafferty (1-0); Harry Harden (0-6,4f); Hugh Boyle, Daniel Devlin, Owenie McGarvey. Subs: Darren Gallagher for H Boyle ; Thomas Duffy for C Boyle; Shaun Boyle for J Boyle; Conor White for D Gallagher (black card).

Killybegs: Kevin Martin; Christopher Cunningham (0-1), Niall Carberry, Daniel O'Donnell; Eoghain Gallagher (0-1), Shane Molloy (0-2), David McGuinness (1-0); Pauric Connaghan, Hugh McFadden (0-3,3f); John Gallagher (0-1), Christopher Murrin (0-1), Ryan Ward (0-1); Evan Broderick, Paul Cunningham (1-0), David O'Keeney. Subs: Ciaran Connaghan for H McFadden (black card), Eoin Gallagher for R Ward .

Referee: Connie Doherty (N Conaill).

McGinley saves Naomh Columba

Gavin McGinley was the toast of Glencolmcille and Carrick last night after his late goal earned Naomh Columba a dramatic win in Pairc Na Gael.

Naomh Columba 2-9

Milford 2-8

Milford seemed to be on their way to a famous away win when they led 2-8 to 1-9 with time up, but in one last onslaught McGinley pounced for the goal that with the last kick of the game and a dramatic one point win.

In a highly competitive encounter all the goals were crammed into a drama-filled closing ten minutes with Pauric Curley and Johnny Logue striking first in quick succession for Milford.

The goals propelled Milford into a 2-6 to 0-9 lead after the locals had led for most of the game.

But Ryan Gillespie with the first of the Naomh Columba goals got the revival underway and McGinley completed the great escape and the two precious points for Brendan Doherty’s men.

Naomh Columba; Pauric O’Donnell; Barry Carr, Kieran McBrearty, Philip Doherty; Philip McNern (0-1), Michael Maguire (0-1), Jamie McGinley; Christopher Byrne, Paddy Byrne (0-4, 4f); Gavin McGinley (1-0), Pauric Cunningham (0-1), Ryan McNern; Paul Doherty, Ryan Gillespie (1-2), Pauric O’Neill. Subs: Kevin McNern, Shane O’Gara, Martin Cunningham, Jamie McNern.

Milford: Sean Gallagher; Conor McNulty, Barry McNulty, Ciaran Sheridan; Anthony Fisher, Gavin Grier, Brandon Wilkie; Paul Sweeney, Sean Black; Cathal McGettigan (0-2,2f), Pauric Curley (1-1), Christopher Barrett (0-1); David Curley (0-2), Darragh Black (0-1), Paddy Peoples. Subs: Cormac Toland, Gary Merritt, Adam Serrinha, Johnny Logue (1-1).

Referee: Jimmy White (Killybegs).