St. Eunan's go on scoring rampage

St. Eunan's go on scoring rampage
Tom Comack sport@donegal @dgldemocrat

St Eunan’s proved too hot to handle for Termon as they romped to a 21 point win over Termon at a blustery O’ Donnell Park.

St Eunan’s . . . . . . . . . 5-16

Termon . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-7

John Haran, Rory Kavanagh and Paddy McGowan scored the goals for David McGinley’s side in a game that the winners had ten different scorers and all their scores came from play.

Daragh McDaid, the one ray of light Termon, had top-scored for the Francie Friel’s charges with a 1-4 on a day the Burn Road men were simply outclassed.

St Eunan’s had this game as good as won at half time as they led 3-8 to 0-4. Veteran Haran scored two of the goals while Rory Kavanagh, who should also have two to his name at the break, scored one.

Haran struck for the first of his three pointers on 16 minutes after Conall Dunne intercepted a Conor Tinney kick-out before finding Haran in front of the posts all on his own. The veteran forward dummied ‘keeper Tinney before driving to the back of the net for a 1-3 to 0-2 lead. Cillian Morrison with two and Conor Gibbons with the first of his seven, scored the early St Eunan’s points while Daire McDaid had raised the Termon white flags.

Haran cheekily sidefooted the second to the net three minutes later after a long range strike from Kevin Rafferty dropped short.

And Kavanagh got in on the goal scoring act two minutes from half-time when he flicked another Rafferty long range effort to the net for a 3-5 to 0-3 lead.

Gibbons, Dunne and Rafferty reeled off three more points to one from Caolan McDaid, a goal chance that was deflected over his own crossbar by Sean Daffan.

Termon lost Johnny McCafferty and Declan O’Donnell to injury in the first half.

With the points in the bag, St Eunan’s were slow out of the blocks in the second half. Daire McDaid kicked the opening point before Gibbons knocked over St Eunan’s first on 42 minutes.

But two quick-fire goals from substitute Paddy McGowan got the St Eunan’s scoring machine up and running again and the locals cruised to victory with Donnacha Gallagher, Gibbons, McGowan and new signing from Killybegs, Brendan Maguire, all splitting the posts.

To their credit Termon battled to the end and they were rewarded with a points from Caolan McDaid and Kevin ‘Wappa’ McMenamin either side of a Daire McDaid goal.

St Eunan’s: Sean Daffan; Conor Parke, Caolan Ward, Sean Hensey; Peter Devine, Conor O’Donnell (0-1), Eamonn Doherty; Rory Kavanagh (1-0), Kevin Rafferty (0-1); Conall Dunne (0-1), John Haran (2-0), Darragh Mulgrew; Brendan Maguire (0-1), Conor Gibbons (0-7), Cillian Morrison (0-3). Subs: Donnacha Gallagher (0-1) for Kavanagh h/t; P McGowan (2-1) for Morrison (34).

Termon: Conor Tinney; Shane Callaghan, Kevin McDaid, Sean O’Donnell; Stephen McElwaine, Anthony McGrenra, Nathan McElwaine; Caolan Mellett, Johnny McCafferty; Caolan McDaid (0-2), Ricky Gallagher, Declan O’Donnell; Austin Marron, Kevin ‘Wappa’ McMenamin (0-1), Daire McDaid (1-4,3f). Subs: Daniel Conaghan for J McCafferty (12,inj); Joe English for D O’Donnell (20,inj); Paul McDaid for S Gallagher (39); Kevin McDaid for S O’Donnell (50), Shane Callaghan for N McElwaine (52);

Referee: S P Doherty (Urris)