Glenea and Glencar advance


Glenea and Glencar advance

This year's Voodoo Venue Cup final will see Glencar Celtic take on Glenea United Reserves.

These two sides came through their respective semi-final ties on Saturday with Glencar Celtic beating league winners, Arranmore United and Glenea getting the better of Strand Rovers.

The semi-finals were part of a double-header at Diamond Park, Ballayre on Saturday with Glencar meeting Arranmore in the opening game.

These two sides had met twice in the league this season with one game ending in a draw and the other won by the islanders.

However, on Saturday, it was Glencar who won out, although not until penalty kicks were needed to decide this semi-final.

Declan Scanlon put Glencar in front early in the second half only for Arranmore to draw level soon after when Michael McHugh scored

The game went to extra-time and then penalties and it was Glencar's keeper, Dominic Friel, who was the match winner, saving two penalties in the shoot-out as his team won 4-2.

Glencar's successful penalty takers were Mark Graham, Eddie McLaughlin, Garvan Grieve and Matthew McColgan.

In the day's second semi final, Martin Maguire was the two-goal here for Glenea United as they beat Strand Rovers 2-0.

The win means a second cup final this season for the Glaserchoo club as the Reserves already have an Ulster Junior Shield decider to look forward to against Killylough Reserves.

Of course, there's also the small matter of a league title to contest. Glenea could win their division next weekend with a victory away to Keadue Rovers.


There were three games played in the Glencar Inn Division on Saturday.

Milford United came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with St. Catherine's.

The Killybegs side lead 1-0 at half time with their goal coming from a Stevie Anderson penalty.

St. Catherine's missed several good chances before they eventually made it 2-0 through John Joe McGinley.

Milford pulled a goal back on 75 minutes when Ciaran Blaney scored before James Whelan pounced for the equaliser late on.

Elsewhere, Keadue Rovers beat Cappry Rovers 3-0 and Drumoghill beat Donegal Town 5-4 in an amazing game at The Moss.

The home side lead 5-0 with goals from Ethan McCready, Carlos Rodgers, John Rodgers, Mark Gibson and Liam O'Donnell.

However, David Bustard hit two quick goals in the second half and with eight minutes left, Gary Ward made it 5-3 . Ward scored a game in the last minute, but Drumoghill managed to hold out for the three points.