Abbey VS lose to Patrician High as game blown up early


Abbey VS lose to Patrician High as game blown up early

Abbey Vocational School’s dream of a place in the All-Ireland Colleges B semi-final were well and truly ended by Patrician High School from Carrickmacross, on Saturday in Dromore.

Patrician HS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-12

Abbey VS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0-3

But the outcome of this clash of Markey Cup winners Abbey VS and the McLarnon Cup winners, Patrician High School, really didn’t matter.

Of bigger concern was the wellbeing of Abbey player Peadar Mogan after referee Kevin Faloon from Down, stopped the game ten minutes from the end and subsequently blew the game up shortly afterwards.

The Abbey player was withdrawn from the game before the start of the second half, after taking up his position for the second period.

He was withdrawn by team mentor Leo McLoone after complaining about being faint and was helped from the playing pitch. He was first attended on the sideline by an emergency services' first responder crew before being removed some time later by ambulance to Altnagelvin Hospital, Derry.

The referee stopped the game on the arrival of the first of the medical crews and following consultation with both sets of management and Ulster Schools’ representatives it was decided to end the game with the score standing.

By that stage the game as a contest was over as Patrician High, who defeated Holy Trinity from Cookstown, in Thursday’s McLarnon Cup final, had racked up an impressive 3-12 to 0-3 lead.

They had totally dominated the proceedings against the Donegal Town boys who lined out without their playmaker and centre half-forward Jack Keaney.

Keaney received a straight red card in the Markey Cup final win over Fermanagh Schools. He was unsuccessful in his appeal against the sending off.

His experience and ability to cover back in defence was sorely missed early on as Abbey stood off the Patrician boys and the Monaghan team took full advantage.

They started like a juggernaut rolling down a highway to hit 2-2 in the opening 13 minutes and before Abbey had their first decent shot on goal and a 14th minute Thomas McGowan point. Alan Kieran, the centre half forward, scored the two goals and Andrew Woods and David Garland scored the Patrician points.

Garland, Kieran and full-forward Gavin McEnaney were Abbey’s main tormentors in the opening half for the physically stronger Monaghan boys.

And it was McEnaney who set up Kiernan for his third goal seven minutes from the end of the first half to end whatever slim hope Abbey had of making a game of it and after the McGowan point from a 45 and Peadar Mogan with a fine point from a tight angle, had got the Abbey challenge up and running.

McEnaney ran untouched from just inside his own half after winning a throw-up between himself and Thomas McGowan, to set up Kieran for a simple tap in goal, and a 3-4 to 0-3 lead.

Mogan’s point on 21 minutes proved to be Abbey’s last score. Garland added one more for Patrician to send them in 3-5 to 0-3 up at half-time.

With Mogan receiving attention on the sideline and also with midfielder Neil Ward suffering a suspected broken ankle on the stroke of half-time, the game fizzled out as a contest in the second period.

And by the time the referee stopped the game, Patrician High, courtesy of points from Garland (5), Kieran and Ciaran Roe, had turned their thoughts to an All-Ireland semi-final meeting with the Connacht champions Holy Rosary, Mountbellew, Galway, next Wednesday.

Abbey VS; Gavin Mulreany; Daniel Meehan, Aaron McCrea, Cathal Canavan; John Relihan, Peadar Mogan (0-1), Conor Gavigan; Brendan McCole, Neil Ward; Nathan Ward, Iarlaith Cox, Jamie Crawford; Daniel Brennan, Thomas McGowan (0-2, ’45’), Daniel Gallagher. Subs: Conor Breslin for J Cox (20), Shaun Meehan for Neil Ward (30), Shaun Griffin for P Mogan (33).

Patrician HS: Jack Kirk; Ciaran Roe (0-1), Karl McMenamin, Caolan Martin; Stephen Flanagan, Kieran Slavin, Fergal Hanratty; Dean Connolly, Liam Óg Murray; Ronan McDonald, Alan Kieran (3-1), Ryan O’Conner (0-1); David Garland (0-7, 4f, ’45’), Gavin McEnaney, Andrew Woods (0-2). Subs: Shane Duffy for D Garland (42), Sean Burns for G McEnaney (44), Sean McEnaney for G McEnaney (46), Edward Walsh for A Woods (48), Daniel Leegan for K Slavin (46).

Referee: Kevin Falloon (Down).