MacCumhaills have it their own way


Lively Sean MacCumhaills had no real difficulty in disposing of their somewhat weakened Glenfin neighbours in a one sided opener at sunny Sean MacCumhaill Park yesterday.

Sean MacCumhaills . . . . 2-13

Glenfin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-7

The winners were superior in all departments and in Martin O’Reilly, had the stand out star, who hit some superb points from a variety of angles.

Glenfin were forced to feed on scraps, as Ballybofey carved several openings in their defence, while the losers shot a few wides from scorable positions.

MacCumhaills played some clever cohesive football, but were never really tested by a decimated Glenfin side.

This match got off to an explosive start as MacCumhaills midfielder Stephen O’Reilly hit a high hopeful punt from 35 metres, but Glenfin keeper Liam O’Meara fumbled the catch and the ball crept into the net after just 58 seconds.

Glenfin almost replied in kind a mere 20 seconds later, MacCumhaills ‘keeper Christopher Patton got down brilliantly to deny Glenfin’s beavering Jason Morrow a certain goal from point blank range.

But it was MacCumhaills who settled much better O’Reilly arrowed over two excellent long range points with either foot.

Weakened Glenfin, who badly missed the services of Frank McGlynn, Gerard Ward, Conor Ward, Andrew Walsh, Mark McGinty (Snr), Michael McGlynn and John Harkin, were always struggling to keep pace with their livelier urban rivals.

Daniel McGlynn and Jason Morrow were on target for Glenfin in the opening half.

But the lively O’Reilly kept tacking on the scores and the winners were well worth their half-time lead of 1-7 to 0-4.

It did not get any better for the losers in a one-sided second half, as MacCumhaills underlined their obvious superiority.

MacCumhaills second half sub Gavin Reilly got their second goal five minutes from time when he volleyed a partially saved effort from Glenfin keeper O’Meara to the net.

O’Reilly was again on target from an early free, and that set the pattern for a stroll on the banks of the Finn.

But this has to rank as one of the most gentle League encounters witnessed in Ballybofey for many’s the day.

Sean MacCumhaills: C Patton, R McMenamin (0-1), M Gallagher, G Grindle; S Duffy, G Dunnion, J Dunnion; S O’Reilly (1-1), N Gavigan; G Wilson (0-1) B Lafferty (0-1) R Dunleavy; M O’Reilly (0-8,5f), S McGowan, C Gallen. Subs: G Reilly for R Dunleavy (45), J Beirne for S Duffy (57), A Lynch (0-1), for R Dunleavy,

Glenfin: L O’Meara, M O’Donnell, D Harkin, S McGlynn; G Dorrian, G Herron, K Doherty; S Ward, R Gallagher; D McGlynn (0-4,3f) J Morrow (0-2), P O’Connor; C McBride, K McGlynn (0-1), J Marley. Subs: K Foye for J Marley (36), D Carr for G Dunnion (49), D Herrin for C McBride (56)

Referee: M McShane (Kilcar)