Dungloe too strong at home for understrength St Michael's

News Strapline

Dungloe got their 2016 league campaign off to a winning start defeating St Michael's in glorious sunshine in Rosses Park on Sunday.

Dungloe 2-11

St Michael's 1-5

Both sides had to line out without some regulars but those in their respective jerseys gave a great display treating the spectators to some fine high catching and mighty strikes over the black spot.

It was the visitors who got off to a dream start after 2 mins when they were awarded a penalty, Andrew Kelly stepped up but Dungloe Keeper Ciaran Sharkey pulled off a fine save only to see the Lee Carr finish the rebound to the back of the net. Ryan Greene scored Dungloe's first point from a free after 3 mins.

But for the next 5 minutes the home side had to watch their efforts fall either side of the post.

On 11 mins Ryan Greene hit another free and this was quickly followed by point from Shaun Sharkey and another Greene free to put the home side in front after 14 mins. Michael Gallagher levelled matters on 17 mins and this was to be the visitors last score of the first half.

Dungloe had points from substitute Mark Sweeney, Ryan Greene (f), Barry Curran and midfielder Shaun Sharkey finished the first half with two fine points to leave the half time score Dungloe 0-9 St Michael's 1-1.

Dungloe started the second half as they finished the first and Darren Curran made no mistake when he found himself in front of goals to finish to the net to stretch the home side’s lead further after 3 mins.

Lee Carr pointed for Michael's on 38 mins but Dungloe's second goal came on 40 minutes when Mark Sweeney hit in a long ball that travelled to the top corner of the net.

St Michael's battled hard but couldn’t break down the Dungloe defence who stood strong led by their captain Darren Curran and their chance at a score on 42 minutes was cleared off the line by full back Raymond Sweeney. On 46 minutes the visitors lost Liam Paul Ferry to two yellow cards after a tackle on Adam Neely and Ryan Greene stepped up to convert the free.

Michael Cannon pointed for St Michael's on 50 mins from a free and Lee Carr tapped over another point for the visitors as the clock ticked down.

Adam Neely scored a free on 59 mins and Oisin Langan had the final say of the ame pointing in injury time.

Dungloe: C Sharkey, J Scally, R Sweeney, D Boyle, G Ward, D Curran (1-0), E Scally, S Sharkey (0-3) P McGarvey, N McBride, B Curran (0-1), G Walsh, L Neely, C Greene, R Greene (0-5,5f. Subs M Sweeney(1-1) for E Scally, A Neely (0-1f) for B Curran, E Scally for J Scally.

St Michael's: C Gallagher, B Rodden, S Doak, C McElhinney, L Paul Ferry, M McGinley, M Gallagher (0-1), M McElhinney, C Gallagher, M Langan, O Langan, L Carr, O McFadden, M Cannon, A Kelly Subs., K Kelly for O McFadden.

Referee M Dorrian (Fanad Gaels)