Plenty of goals in Downtown Cup despite poor conditions

Plenty of goals in Downtown Cup despite poor conditions
The were plenty off goals in the Downtown Cup on Saturday despite the wintry weather. The Arranmore-Strand game was postponed. Niall Bonner and Matthew Grant were scoring heroes, hitting hat-tricks for their respective sides.

The were plenty off goals in the Downtown Cup on Saturday despite the wintry weather. The Arranmore-Strand game was postponed. Niall Bonner and Matthew Grant were scoring heroes, hitting hat-tricks for their respective sides.

Cranford United Res 1

Glencar Celtic 4

Glencar hosted Cranford in Rathmullan on a very cold day. The first chance of the game came on 15 minutes with Mark Graham winning the ball to cross for Seany Houston to head narrowly wide.

Glencar opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Garvan Grieve fed Jason Doherty who finished well. Jason Doherty doubled Glencar’s advantage when Steven Browne did very well to square for Doherty to tap into the empty net. Cranford rallied and were unlucky not to get a goal back from a corner only for the ball to be cleared off the line.

Glencar started brightly in the second half with some good passing but there was no end product as conditions worsened. Glencar finished off the game as a contest mid-way through the second half, scoring two quickfire goals through Browne. Cranford were awarded a penalty which Jaydee stepped up and slotted home with the last kick of the game. Best for Cranford were James McBride. Best for Glencar were Mark Graham and Seany Houston.

Keadue Rovers Res 1

Glenea United Res 1

Keadue and Glenea played out a draw in the home team’s final group game of the Downtown Cup at Central Park on Saturday.

The game was played in poor conditions with wintry showers and a gale force winds. Glenea went ahead slightly against the run of play when a ball cleared out of the defence was lost by the home midfield and a good ball was played through to Ryan McFadden who beat the offside trap and rounded the keeper for a tap in. Keadue responded well to falling behind and were level within five minutes.

Good work from Paul Yank Boyle saw the ball to Sean Yank Boyle who fired low to the corner. Ciaran Boyce in the Glenea nets made a superb stop but James Ferry was there to tap home the rebound.

The home side remained on top for the last ten minutes of the first half without forcing the keeper into a save. In the second half Keadue had the benefit of the wind but it was Glenea who were sharper in the opening stages of the half. Keadue brought on a few substitutes mid-way through the half who won them more possession and Sean Yank Boyle was prominent.

A fine effort from Aidan Gillespie on 75 minutes was again brilliantly saved by the Glenea keeper and ten minutes from the end Keadue’s Luke Neely was played through but his shot was very well saved. Glenea battled all the way to the end securing a draw despite Keadue dominating. Best for Glenea were keeper Ciaran Boyce, Padge McGee and Kevin McFadden while best for Keadue were Sean Yank Boyle, Damien Hanlon and Cian Boyle.

Referee: Barry Hunter.

Castlefin Celtic Res 2

Tullyvinney Rovers 4

Tullyvinney took the lead after seven minutes. A cross found Matthew Grant and his excellent volley gave Castlefin keeper Simon Mc Glinchey no chance. Castlefin equalised two minutes later when Matthew O’Rourke found Brian Dooher who shot past Nigel Hegarty in the Tullyvinney net.

James Mc Menamin could have given Castlefin the lead with a 25 yard strike but for an excellent save from Hegarty. Tullyvinney then had two good chances to take the lead before half time with Garvan Tinney and Matthew Grant both going close.

Castlefin started the second half the brighter with Keith Nelis and Gavin McNulty each having good chances. Tullyvinney took the lead again on 61 minutes after a mix-up in the Castlefin defence, Matthew Grant tapping home from a yard out.

Grant got his and Tullyvinney’s third a minute later. Good work in midfield from Gavin Mc Brearty set up Grant who availed of the space to finish from the edge of the box. Matthew O’Rourke pulled one back for Castlefin on 67 minutes after Tullyvinney failed to clear the ball in the box.

Castlefin searched for an equaliser but failed to make their chances count. Tullyvinney got their fourth on 76 minutes from the penalty spot, Daniel McNulty stepping up to finish calmly to wrap up all three points.

Best for Castlefin: Brian Dooher. Best for Tullyvinney: Matthew Grant.

Referee: Andrew Mullin

Orchard F.C. 4

Curragh Athletic Res 2

In an entertaining game it was Curragh who opened the scoring on 40 minutes when a mistake in the Orchard rear-guard was punished. Orchard replied with minutes when some good work down the right by John Boyle was finished off from close range by Niall Bonner. Orchard started the second half bright and Niall Bonner added two goals in the 50 and 55 minutes to put Orchard in front. Curragh never gave up and where back in it on the seventy fifth minute when Bernard Lafferty slotted home from close in.

Curragh came close on a couple of more occasions but could not find a way past Tommy McLaughlin in the Orchard goal. Orchard wrapped up the game in the 85th minute when John Boyle scored from close range after some good work by Francie McGinley.

Best for Orchard: Tommy McLaughlin, Paddy McLaughlin and Niall Bonner.

Erne Wanderers 0

Drumbar F.C. 2

Erne Wanderers hosted Drumbar F.C. at the Lakeside Centre on Saturday in absolutely atrocious conditions in the Downtown Cup. It was a day to forget for the hosts as a terrible performance saw the away side take all three points.

The away side hit the front on the half hour mark when Erne got caught trying to play out from the back and the ball fell to a Drumbar player 25 yards out and he lobbed the ball into the net with the keeper stranded.

Erne missed two open goals and hit the woodwork four times, this added to a couple of saves from the away keeper held the home side scoreless. A counter-attack on the hour mark finished the home side off.

Referee: Seamus Mc Groary.

Fintown Harps AFC 1

St. Catherines Res 1

Fintown hosted St. Catherines in the Cup on Saturday at Pairc Achla. In the first half Fintown took control creating a few chances.

Shaun McMillan sent a great ball to Aaron Thompson who scored but it was disallowed. St.Catherines hadn’t any goal attempts in the first half.

In the second half, with it starting to snow, both teams came out fighting. St Catherines scored through Aaron Walsh to go in front. In the dying minutes of the game John McFadden fed McMillan and he levelled the match. Man of the match John Mc Fadden

Referee: Ed Moore