Donegal’s U-12 team book place in Inter-League final

Donegal’s  U-12 team book place in Inter-League final
Donegal Schoolboys sealed their place in the final of the SFAI U-12 Inter-League competition with a victory over South Dublin FL in Ballyowen Park, Dublin on Sunday.

Donegal Schoolboys sealed their place in the final of the SFAI U-12 Inter-League competition with a victory over South Dublin FL in Ballyowen Park, Dublin on Sunday.

South Dublin FL 1

Donegal Schoolboys 3

(after extra-time)

Two goals from Conor Black either side of an effort from Eoin Dowling sealed the win.

In near perfect conditions Donegal started the game the better and capitalised on an opening after five minutes.

Jack Murphy controlled the ball in the middle before threading a precise pass through for Conor Black.

The Donegal forward took a touch around the goalkeeper before calmly dispatching the ball into the empty net.

Donegal had chances to double their lead straight away when Jason McDaid was put in on goal only for the Dublin goalkeeper to make a reaction save.

The hosts settled and created their first meaningful opportunity on 18 minutes when the South Dublin forward beat his man before unleashing a strike that sailed narrowly wide.

South Dublin were resigned to long range efforts for most of the opening half and a strike from 30 yards tested Donegal goalkeeper Adrian McLaughlin on the stroke of half-time.

Early into the second half South Dublin got their equaliser via the penalty spot.

Jack Murphy was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the area giving South Dublin the chance to step up and fire high into the net.

That goal signalled a change in the game as both sides began to struggle to create opportunities with both determined not to lose.

South Dublin had the best chance to grab the winning goal two minutes from time however Adrian McLaughlin was quick off his line to make a smart save.

As both sides remained level, extra time was required to decide the winner.

Donegal began to dominate in possession in the first half of extra time and Frankie Campbell spurned a wonderful opportunity when the South Dublin goalkeeper could only fumble a Conor Black cross to the strikers feet but the defence came to the keeper’s aid.

Set pieces looked like they were going to hold the key to victory and a Jack Murphy corner allowed Stephen Black to rise highest but his header went narrowly over the crossbar.

This only served as a warning as one minute later Murphy’s corner fell to Eoin Dowling at the edge of the six yard line and the right back made no mistake firing the ball past the South Dublin goalkeeper.

That goal was greeted by huge celebrations amongst Donegal’s large travelling support who made the trip to Dublin.

South Dublin never really threatened the Donegal goal in the final minutes of extra time and Conor Black was on hand to seal the Donegal victory one minute from time.

The quick forward out-muscled the South Dublin back line before expertly striking the ball into the corner of the net.

Donegal Schoolboys will now travel to Cahir Park, Tipperary, on May 25 to contest the final against Waterford.

South Division U-14

Ronan McGee Cup

St. Catherine’s 6

Eany Celtic 2

St Catherine’s put in a five star performance against Eany Celtic to lift the Ronan McGee Memorial Cup and complete the double at Eany Park on Saturday.

The game was barely ten minutes old when Ryan Cunningham opened the scoring at the far post when Eany goalkeeper Enda O’Hagan could only parry a Niall Campbell effort.

St. Catherine’s continued to dominate but found O’Hagan in top form. Eany then equalised against the run of play after 25 minutes when they were awarded a free kick 30 yards out.

Ian Campbell drove a beautiful shot which bounced up in front of the diving St. Catherine’s goalkeeper and into the net for a fine equaliser.

Almost straight from the kick-off St. Catherine’s restored the lead when Lanty Molloy went on a run into the penalty area and unleashed an unstoppable shot at the near post.

Three minutes later Ryan Cunningham scored a third goal for St. Catherine’s when he swivelled away from a number of Eany defenders inside the box before bending a beautiful shot into the top corner of the net.

Cunnigham had time to add another close range effort before the break to complete his hat-trick and put his side in command.

Eany made a few substitutions for the second half but it was a case of too little too late as Lanty Molloy scored his second of the match with a fine effort after 52 minutes.

St. Catherine’s sixth and final goal after 59 minutes was the pick of the bunch when a good passing movement involving four players found it’s way onto the onrushing Oran McGuinness

He was 30 yards out and took one touch before striking a wonderful volley which dipped right under the crossbar giving Enda O’Hagan no chance.

Eany were awarded a late penalty which Ian Campbell converted but try as they might they could not add to their tally.

St. Catherine’s had many individuals who performed well but it was their team play that impressed the most while Eany goalkeeper Enda O’Hagan was man of the match with an outstanding performance between the sticks.

South Division U-14

Shield Final

Dunkineely Celtic 4

Drumbar 1

Dunkineely Celtic picked up their second piece of silverware of the season when their U-14 side defeated Drumbar 4-1 in an entertaining Shield Final at Eany Park.

Both sides had chances in the opening twenty minutes but the game sparked to life with three goals just before half-time.

Dunkineely were first to score in the 27th minute when Kyle Maxwell found the net from close range.

Within a minute Seanie O’Shea made it 2-0 when Drumbar failed to clear from a set piece in the box.

Drumbar who fielded without a number of regulars gave an immediate response when Vincent Breslin scored direct from a free kick after 33 minutes to leave the score 2-1 at the break.

Dunkineely went on to dominate most of the second half and when Charlie Boyle gave them a two goal advantage in the 49th minute they never looked like losing the tie.

Jacob Steel added a fourth with 10 minutes remaining when he side stepped a defender before placing the ball under the advancing keeper.

Best for Dunkineely were Mark Hutchinson and Shaun White while Joseph Gillespie was the star performer as sweeper for Drumbar.