Ulster FA Youth Cup semi-final pairings decided

Ulster FA Youth Cup semi-final pairings decided
Fanad United will play Cockhill Celtic in the semi-final of the Ulster FA Youth Cup after they overcame Keadue Rovers by last weekend.

Fanad United will play Cockhill Celtic in the semi-final of the Ulster FA Youth Cup after they overcame Keadue Rovers by last weekend.

The other semi-final will be a local derby between Bonagee United and Letterkenny Rovers. Bonagee progressed after a 5-4 penalty shoot-out win against Moville Celtic- the game finished 2-2 after extra-time, while two second half goals gave Rovers a last four spot with victory over Cappry Rovers.

This Monday night, Fanad United host Letterkenny Rovers in a semi final tie in the John Gorey Curran Memorial Cup. The winners will play Ballybofey United in the Final on Easter Monday the 21st April.

Another date for your diary is the Colin Breslin Memorial Youth Cup Final. This game takes place next Friday 18th April. Both finals are in Ballyare with 6.30pm kick-offs.

Letterkenny Rovers 2

Cappry Rovers 0

Letterkenny Rovers kept their hopes of a domestic clean sweep alive after grinding out a deserved victory over a resolute Cappry Rovers side at Leckview Park on Tuesday evening in the last of the Ulster Youth Cup quarter finals.

With the visitors playing Owen McCrudden up front on his own Letterkenny found it difficult to break down Cappry in the first half and chances were at a premium.Adrian Delap had a lob which looked goalbound on 34 minutes but Stephen Carr somehow got back to clear off the line and Cappry’s goalkeeper Eoin Gallen did wonderfully well to keep out a Marty Vance effort on 42 minutes to ensure the teams went in scoreless at half time.

The game burst into life early in the second half, A Gavin McDaid header was well saved by Gallen before referee Vincent McLoughin spotted an off the ball altercation between Letterkennys Noah Mailey and Capprys Philip Doherty and he had no hesitation in brandishing both with a red card.

The game opened up after the double sending off and it was Letterkenny who did most of the attacking and the pressure paid dividends in the 69th minute.

A great corner kick delivered by Gareth Doherty was met perfectly by Jack Blake and he headed home from eight yards to deservedly give his side the lead.

The home side had numerous chances after this to extend their lead with Marty Vance, Gavin McDaid and Kevin O’Donnell all troubling the Cappry netminder who kept his side in the game with a number of decent saves while the only efforts from the visitors were a couple of half chances through David Carr and Eoin Laverty

Letterkenny extended their lead through the last kick of the game, referee McLoughlin gave a penalty after a foul on McDaid and the Newtoncunningham man coolly slotted the penalty away himself to book Letterkenny’s passage into the semi final and a meeting with local rivals Bonagee Utd.

Letterkenny Rovers: Christopher O’Donnell, Simon McGlynn, Luke Nelis,Liam Blaney, Noah Mailey, Gareth Doherty, Jack Blake, Kevin O’Donnell, Marty Vance, Adrian Delap, Gavin McDaid.

Subs: Ryan McLoughlin, Jason Quinn

Cappry Rovers: Eoin Gallen, Eoin Burke, Stephen Carr, David Carr, Brian Foy, Philip Doherty,Mark Bonner,Shane Laverty, Owen McCrudden,Conor Laverty, Ian Brennan.

Subs: Christopher McBrearty,Dale Stewart

Referee: Vincent McLoughlin.


Ulster Youth Cup quarter-finals

Fanad United 4-2 Keadue Rovers

Bonagee United 2-2 Moville Celtic(Bonagee United won 5-4 on penalties)

Letterkenny Rovers 2-0 Cappry Rovers


John Gorey Curran Cup Semi Final

Monday, 7:30pm

Fanad United v Letterkenny Rovers