Quarter-finals decided in Downtown Cup

Quarter-finals decided in Downtown Cup
The quarter-finals of the Downtown Cup were completed on Saturday with Orchard, Castslefin, Glenea and Glencar making it through.

The quarter-finals of the Downtown Cup were completed on Saturday with Orchard, Castslefin, Glenea and Glencar making it through.

There were also games in the Glencar Inn Division Two Saturday League

Downtown Cup Quarter Finals

Orchard F.C. 2

St. Catherines Res 0

It took extra time to separate these two sides in a keenly fought quarter final played in Ballyare. Both teams worked hard with both defences on top early on. St. Catherines came closest to scoring in the first half when they had a header go just over from five yards. Orchard came close before the break when Peter Blake’s shot from inside the box was well saved by Brian Smith.

The second half continued much the same with Smith denying Sean Sweeny twice from close range. The first period of extra time was a tight affair until Redmond Doherty found

Joe Mc Carron with a short corner and he struck an unstoppable shot into the top corner. St Catherines pushed hard in the second period as they chased an equaliser but Orchard caught them on the break on 108 minutes when Andrew Doherty broke down the right and slotted home form a tight angle.

Best for Orchard: Sean Sweeney. Best for St. Catherines: Brian Smith

Castlefin Celtic Res 3

Glenree United Res 2

Difficult playing conditions didn’t prevent this game being played in traditional Cup style.

Castlefin had a great chance after two minutes when Marcus Curran’s shot was well save by Glenree keeper Darryl Gibson. Glenree broke the deadlock on four minutes when Damien Nelis took a perfect touch and placed the ball easily past the Castlefin ‘keeper. Castlefin had a great opportunity to equalise on thirteen minutes when they were awarded a penalty but Glenree keeper Gibson made a brilliant save to deny Keith Nelis. Damien Nelis should have doubled Glenree’s lead but his header went wide of the open net. Castlefin continued to search for a goal before the break with Ronan Tourish coming close when his free kick hit the post.

Castlefin finally made a breakthrough early in the second half when Paul Logue’s corner found Mark Lafferty. Lafferty shot through a crowded box to level the score at one each. With both teams searching for a winner Castlefin took the lead. Ronan Tourish found Keith Nelis who did well to control the ball and drill home on eighty minutes.

Glenree levelled the game once more in the 85th minute when a mix-up in the Castlefin defence allowed Carl Mc Elhinney an opportunity to find the net. Castlefin got the winner with a minute remaining when Barry Tourish’s well placed cross found Ronan Tourish in front of goal and he headed home to secure Castlefin’s safe passage to the semi-final of the Downtown Cup.

Best for Castlefin: Peter Bryson and Brian Dooher. Team performance from Glenree. Referee: Victor Rainey.

Arranmore United 0

Glenea United Res 1

Arranmore played Glenea at An Screaban as Rannagh Park was unplayable. On a blustery day the wind played havoc as both struggled to retain possession early on. The 1st half was an even affair with both defences and midfields on top and both keepers having very little to do. Glenea started the better in the 2nd half and went close with a one on one, but couldn’t convert.

Minutes later Glenea made the breakthrough when, following a great cross from the right, Dean Gallagher found the net. In a game that looked like whoever scored first would go through Glenea defended excellently for the remainder with Ciaran Mor pulling off a brilliant save with ten minutes to go. Team performances both sides.

Fintown Harps AFC 1

Glencar Celtic 3

Fintown Harps, looking to retain the Downtown Cup, faced Glencar Celtic at Pairc Achla on Saturday. In the 20th minute Glencar’s Marty Brogan broke the deadlock, he scored from a free kick just outside the box. Fintown’s Brian Delaney levelled the game in the 32nd minute from a cross from Cathal Ellis. Ruairí Kelly then put the visitors in front again from a free kick with five minutes left in the first half. In the second half both teams put in a massive effort to win this game.

Fintown got lucky when they were awarded a penalty from a hand ball in the box. Daragh Gallagher stood up to take it but Glencar’s keeper pulled off a great save to keep them in the lead. In the closing stages of the game Glencar’s Paddy Collins slotted home their third goal to assure their place in the semi-finals. Entertaining team performances by both teams. Referee: Ed Moore.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Milford United Res 3

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Milford collected only their second home win in the league against a determined Tullyvinney. With the wind at their back Milford applied the early pressure and on fifteen minutes Christy Mc Cafferty capitalised when a through ball from Lee Burke left him one on one and he chipped the keeper from twenty yards. Milford created a couple of excellent chances but were unable to convert. T

ullyvinney made their intentions clear at the start of the second half when a long ball was pumped in and not cleared and ended up in the back of the net. They continued with the long ball and pushed further up but were caught on the break when after JJ Fleming’s through ball freed Christy Mc Cafferty who was upended in the penalty box and he scored himself from the resulting penalty. The game was finished off when from a Johnny Sweeney corner the ball ricocheted off Kelly for an own goal.

Cranford United Res 1

Curragh Athletic Res 3

Curragh started this game on the front foot and were one up after five minutes through a neat finish from Shea Hannigan. Cranford responded well and were pushing for an equaliser but got caught on the break by Gary Heaney in the twentieth minute who put Curragh two up. Then with chances falling to both teams Curragh, again on the counter attack, got a third through Dan O’ Brien in the 40th minute.

Cranford pulled a goal back in the 60th minute, a good finish by Brendan Giles. Cranford pressed hard but could not break down the Curragh defence again. Team efforts.

Donegal Town Res 3

Gweedore United Res 3

It was honours even when second met third at the Hospital Field on Saturday afternoon. Donegal made the better start and deservedly took the lead when Ciarán O’Reilly tapped home a superb cross from Paul Gerard Duncan. After the break Donegal doubled their lead when Joe McIntyre curled a lovely effort into the top corner. Gweedore battled back and equalised with a great counter attacking goal. Soon after they were level when their centre half rose highest to head home at the back post from a wide free kick.

Chris Hegarty looked to have won the points for the home side when he turned in the area to fire home with ten minutes remaining on the clock. Gweedore kept plugging away and ensured they left with a point when they scored form a penalty kick in the dying moments of the game. Good team performances from both sides.