Gweedore celtic on top in north west derby

Gweedore celtic on top in north west derby
Gweedore Celtic came out on top in the local derby against Glenea with a Chris Porter strike enough.

Gweedore Celtic came out on top in the local derby against Glenea with a Chris Porter strike enough.

Elsewhere Milford United and Kilmacrennan Celtic recorded good wins while Eany Celtic suffered another heavy defeat in Division One at Bonagee

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Milford United 2

Lifford Celtic 1

Milford overcame reigning champions Lifford Celtic at Tri a Lough in a keenly contested affair. Milford played well in the first half despite having a few scares from counter attacks by the visitors.  Paul Shields headed home a super free kick delivery by Gary Merritt on 20 minutes.

Merritt then reacted quickest to a Joey Cullen header, which was saved, and he neatly scored in bottom corner. On the stroke of half time PJ Hagan hit the post with Lee White well beaten in the Lifford nets.  Lifford pushed hard to get back into the game but Milford defended well and worked hard to preserve their lead.

Lifford got one back on 89 minutes when Caolan Mc Gettigan and Paul Shields collided in the box, Mc Gettigan pushing the ball into his own net. Milford held on for a good win. 

Kilmacrennan Celtic 1

Cranford United 0

Kilmac pick up three valuable points from this local derby which was played at the Flagpole in Rathmullan. Kilmac started well with Michael McLaughlin proving a handful down the left wing. Timmy Burke rolled back the years on ten minutes when he turned a few Cranford defenders inside out but his shot was well saved by Enda McHugh.

Kyle Black started coming into the game midway through the first half and supplied a tempting cross for Phil Buchannan but the big front man was inches from latching onto the cross. The second half saw Cranford almost scoring within the first few minutes, from an Arty Lynch header. Michael McLaughlin turned his back on the effort and luckily it struck his back.

The Cranford onslaught continued but they were dealt a sucker punch when Aidan Friel broke from his own half and blasted home from ten yards. The remainder of the game saw chances for both sides but Kilmac held on for a priceless win. Team efforts from both.

Referee: Packie Coll

Gweedore Celtic 1

Glenea United 0

For the second successive wee, a Chris Porter strike sealed victory for the home side. As expected in a local derby match this was a closely contested encounter. Glenea United had a chance on twenty minutes when a free into the box wasn’t dealt with but Glenea couldn’t apply the finish.

Gweedore started the second half brightly and should have taken the lead on fifty minutes but, in a goal mouth scramble, Chris Porter’s shot hit the outside of the post. He atoned for the miss five minutes later when his strike from the edge of the box gave the keeper no chance.

Glenea pushed to get back into the game and Kevin Mulhern’s header was just over the bar. On eighty minutes Tommy Diver had a chance to finish the game but his shot rolled past the far post. Glenea piled on the pressure but the home defence stood firm and held on for all three points. Best for Gweedore were David McGee and Johnny Mc Ginty. A team performance for Glenea.

Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle

St. Catherines 1

Rathmullan Celtic 2

This game was on an edge from start to finish with very little given away by either team. It was the visitors who took the lead when Shay Coyle ‘s header from a free kick found the net on thirty five minutes. Half chances fell to both sides but Rathmullan went in at half time a goal to the good.

‘The Saints’ came out for the second half and pressed with every attack to get the equaliser as Rathmullan played a counter attacking game. On seventy minutes Saints’ sub Stephen Gildea popped up to strike a half volley through a crowded defence to the back of the net.

Decisions, tackles and chances came hard and fast for the last twenty minutes with every man giving all they had to clinch the winner and that winner came on eighty five minutes when Paddy Sheridan’s free kick from the edge of the box nestled in The Saints’ net. Team performance from both sides.

Referee: Joe Mc Hugh.

Curragh Athletic 2

Donegal Town 1

In this reversed match the visitors went away with the three points, coming from a goal down to secure a second win of the season. The game was preceded by a minutes silence for the late John Slevin who passed away at the weekend.

Donegal took the lead on the half hour mark when Benny Byrne hammered home a left footed half-volley after great work out wide from David Harron. Curragh fought back well after the restart and equalised when Shane Barclay prodded home from inside the area. The visitors then took the lead when Ryan Harkin finished off a great team move with twenty minutes to go.

The home side fought hard for an equaliser and created several good opportunities but were unable to convert and in the end the visitors left with the three points. Good team performances from both teams.

Watson Hire Division One

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2

Castlefin Celtic 2

Kerrykeel and Castlefin played out a cracker of a game on what was a great day for football but the home side will wonder how they didn’t collect all three points.  The away side started better and caught Kerrykeel cold on six minutes. 

J.P. Malley played in Mark Carlin and he finished well.  This brought Kerrykeel to life and they pinned Castlefin back for the remainder of the half.  Davitt Walsh had a good finish ruled out for off-side on eighteen minutes but it was he who set up the Kerrykeel goal, playing in Kevin Loughrey who crossed for Johnny Friel to head home.  The second half saw Kerrykeel again forcing Castlefin back and on sixty minutes they thought they had gone in front, but again Mark Friel was ruled off-side. 

Castlefin subsequently had a good spell for ten minutes and were unlucky not to get a penalty on sixty five minutes.  They went in front on seventy minutes when a great corner was headed home by Conor Carlin.  Kerrykeel threw everything into the game for the final twenty minutes hitting the post three times with efforts from Cathal Martin and Paddy Mc Grenaghan forcing the away keeper to make fine saves.  The ‘71 levelled on eighty five minutes when Aidan Mc Ateer crossed for Niall Doherty to power a header home from six yards.  Kerrykeel went looking for the winner and again hit the post on ninety minutes, Marty Mc Ateer with a great strike from the edge of the box.  Castlefin were reduced to ten men in injury time when Carlin saw red.
Best for the ‘71: Seimie Coshia, Aidan Mc Ateer and Kevin Loughrey. Team effort from Castlefin. Referee: Mick Lagan

Gweedore United 3

Drumoghill F.C. 1

This game played in good conditions at Carrickboyle on a nice afternoon saw the home side claim a good three points from Drumoghill who lead the league table at the present time. The visitors got off to the best possible start when they scored in the first minute.

The home side responded well and had good chances through Michael Connolly and Ciaran Mc Fadden well saved by Gregg Regan in the visitors net. United were back on level terms in the 12th minute when Shane O’ Donnell’s excellent pass was neatly finished by Ciaran Mc Fadden to make it 1-1.

Drumoghill could have went ahead two minutes later when a good free kick from Kevin Kelly was headed just over by Joe English. The home side saw good chances fall to Lee and Eugene Ferry however the score remained 1-1 until half time.

In the second half United continued to press and their good play paid off in the 65th minute when a well hit left foot shot by Eugene Noel Ferry went into the bottom right corner of Regan’s net. The visitors tried to break down a well organised United side with Liam O’ Donnell being kept at bay by Frank Mc Gee. The home side secured the three points in the 89th minute when a good through ball from Francis Gallagher was again finished by Ciaran Mc Fadden to make it 3-1. Kevin Kelly and Chris O’ Donnell played well for Drumoghill and it was an excellent team performance throughout from United.

Referee: Gerry Rodden.   

Bonagee United 7

Eany Celtic 1

Bonagee stayed clear of the relegation zone with this comprehensive victory over Eany.  The first half was one of few chances and the opening goal did not arrive until the 43rd minute when Darren Coyle beat the offside trap to have an effort parried by the Eany keeper but Mark Hunter was on hand to steer the ball home from six yards. 

They doubled their advantage one minute later, this time Hunter’s long ball was misjudged by the Eany keeper and Coyle had the easy task of tapping home from ten yards.  Goal number three arrived in the 59th minute.  Hunter again turned provider for Coyle, this time his cross from the right was blasted home between keeper and post by the Bonagee frontman.

Eany got a glimmer of hope when their number seven scored from distance in the 61st minute, but it was all in vain, Bonagee turned the screw after that when they scored another four without reply.  Goal number four for the home team was scored in the 65th minute.

A free swung into the box by Hunter was powerfully met at the back post by Conor Sweeney. Midfielder Odhran Grant added his name to the list of scorers in the 72nd minute when he unleashed a shot from 20 yards that left the keeper with no chance and with Coyle adding two more late in the game it was the Bonagee side who triumphed.

Team performances from both sides.

Keadue Rovers 3

Dunkineely Celtic 1

Keadue Rovers got a vital victory against Dunkineely Celtic in this game at Central Park. The home side made the brighter start and Mark Boyle went close at the far post on three minutes. Dunkineely took the lead on eight minutes when Andrew Mackey reacted well to a through ball and lobbed the advancing keeper. Keadue fought back and were level within a few minutes. A free kick from the right was headed out as far as Mark Boyle who volleyed to the top corner of the net. T

he home side should then have taken the lead, their best chance falling to Ryan Greene whose shot was well saved by the Dunkineely keeper. The remainder of the first half was fairly scrappy overall with neither side able to assume control. Into the second half and Keadue went ahead within a few minutes of the re-start. A ball through to Ryan Greene was well controlled and he flicked it into the path of Sean ‘Yank’ Boyle who made no mistake, coolly slotting past the keeper.

At this stage Keadue turned up the pressure with Ryan Greene showing well. It was Greene’s move on fifty eight minutes that lead to a penalty being conceded by the visitors. Sean ‘Yank’ Boyle slotted home to give Keadue a two goal cushion. Dunkineely pressed hard for the last twenty minutes but couldn’t reduce the deficit. A vital victory for the home team for whom Sean Yank Boyle, Ryan Greene and Mark Boyle were impressive. A good team effort from Dunkineely. Referee: Liam Farren.