Top two lose out home in Donegal League Premier

Top two lose out home in Donegal League Premier
Milford United and Gweedore Celtic both missed the chance to make some headway in the Premier Division by losing at home.

Milford United and Gweedore Celtic both missed the chance to make some headway in the Premier Division by losing at home.

Rathmuallan Celtic hammered Gweedore Celtic 5-1 at an Screaban, while Milford, who are still ahead on goals scored, went down 2-1 at Moyle View Park against Cranford United.

Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division

Gweedore Celtic 1

Rathmullan Celtic 5

Rathmullan had a convincing victory over the Gweedore Celtic at the Screaban on Sunday.

Midway through the first half the visitors fired home two goals.

A cross from the right wasn’t dealt with by the Gweedore defence and Oisin McMenamin stroked it in at the far post.

Three minutes later the lead was doubled, a good build up from Rathmullan was finished by Dara Patton.  Ten minutes into the second half the game was finished as a contest after Eamonn Sheridan fired home.

Two more goals from Rathmullan had the game well and truly sown up on seventy minutes.

Tomas Diver scored a consolation goal 10 minutes from time. 

Milford United 1

Cranford United 2

Milford lost their local derby against Cranford at Moyle View Park.

Milford started brightly and were well in control and went one up through Gary Merritt on 30 minutes.

Cranford began to grow in confidence and got one back when a Kyle Black shot was deflected off Mark Flood. In the second half Cranford began strongest and showed more hunger and focus. Cranford’s winner came twenty minutes from time when Arthur Lynch headed home from a free kick. In the 89 minute Milford, Cranford and everyone in the ground thought Milford had snatched an equaliser when Mark Flood powered the ball home from a corner only for the referee to blow for a foul for climbing in the crowded box. Best for Cranford were Arthur Lynch and Sean Mc Elwaine with Kyle Black best for Milford.
Referee: Mick Langan.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 0 Glenea United 2

Glenea United moved into third place in the Premier Division with a useful away won at Kilmacrennan Celtic.

Kilmacrennan started the brighter but found themselves one down when Ryan McFadden finished off a swift counter attack with a header. Both teams made chances but Glenea went two up on the hour mark when Donal Coll scored after a goalmouth scramble.

St. Catherines 4

Curragh Athletic 1

St Catherine’s turned a one-goal interval deficit into a comfortable victory over Curragh Athletic.

The visitors took the lead 38 minutes when Ryan Carlin latched onto a free kick from Neil Lloyd.

Jason Noctor equalised for the home side on 51 minutes when he tapped home a Brendan Mc Guire cross.

Noctor got his second on 54 minutes when he scored after a scramble in the box.

The Saints pounced again on seventy minutes when Gareth Concarr broke and calmly slotted past the Curragh keeper.

Cormac Cannon made it four for Catherine;s on 80 minutes.

Watson Hire

Division One

Keadue Rovers 7

Lagan Harps 1

Keadue Rovers kept up their recent good form with a big win over Lagan Harps at Central Park with Sean Boyle scoring four times.

The home side started brightly and went ahead on four minutes when Boyle followed up shooting to the net.

On nine minutes they went two up when good work from Corey Gallagher was finished at the near post by Boyle again.

However Lagan were getting more into the game and on 11 minutes Declan Sweeney headed well to the net from a free kick.

Boyle then headed home at the near post for his hat-trick. Keadue got their fourth on 58minutes when Boyle scored his fourth with a fine lob over the keeper from the edge of the area.

Following some good combination work up front Corey Gallagher made it five for Keadue, finishing low to the corner.

In the closing stages of the game Adam Neely’s header was fumbled over the line by the Lagan keeper and in the final minute Martin Redmond made it seven with the final kick of the game.

Gweedore United 5

Eany Celtic 0

Gweedore United put on a five-star show to see off Eany Celtic.

Niall Friel finished from close range following a corner for a 29th minute opener.

The home side double their advantage in the 41st minute when Darren Ferry’s pass was well finished by Eugene Noel Ferry.

United who got the next goal in the 68th minute with an excellent finish from Michael Connolly into the top corner.

United began to dominate the play and got their fourth in the 70th minute, and another good finish from Eugene Ferry.  The home side made it 5-0 in the 83rd minute with another excellent finish from Michael Connolly to complete a good day at the office.


CT Ball Division Two

Deele Harps 7

Drumbar F.C. 0

Before the game a minute’s silence was held in memory of Danny McGavigan who passed away on Saturday - may he rest in peace.  

Deele didn’t let the away side into the game at all with Shane Gallagher finishing with four goals. The hosts opened the scoring early on when Conor Catterson fired home from inside the box.

Shortly after Deele striker supreme Shane Gallagher opened his account.  

Aidy Gallagher himself created and finished another fine goal on the half hour.

Catterson added his second in the 35th minute, a sweet strike from 25 yards. Shane Gallagher added his second on the stroke of half time with a neat finish.  Deele took the foot off the pedal in the second half but still added a further two goals with Shane Gallagher.

Copany Rovers 4

Dunlewy Celtic 3

Copany Rovers ran into a 2-0 lead with two goals from Pauric Rooney in the third and 17th minutes.  

Dunlewey pulled one back on the 23rd minute when they were awarded a penalty which was scored by Michael Roarty.  

Copany restored the two-goal advantage in the 25th minute after a corner from David Graham was headed in by Thomas Given.  

In the 28th minute Dunlewey struck again after a long range shot from John Cannon was deflected past the keeper.  Dunlewey made it all square when a corner from the right was scored by Hugh Cannon.  

   In the 90th minute substitute Paul Clarke scored the winner for Copany following a corner.  Dunlewey had two men sent off in the dying minutes of the game and Copany were also reduced to 10.

Glenree United 0 Raphoe Town 1

A hard working and determined Raphoe took the spoils on a calm day against Glenree United. 

Shots from distance from Damien Coyle and Marty Gallagher were the best Glenree could muster and Raphoe took the upper hand when Emmet Kelly rose highest from a corner to give Raphoe the lead in the 30th minute. 

Whitestrand United 2 Letterbarrow Celtic 0

Fresh from their victory over Dunlewey Celtic last week Letterbarrow Celtic left Whitestrand Park pointless.

On 12 minutes Whitestrand got the opening goal through Paul Lynch.

The Strand got the vital second goal on the stroke of half time through Sean Gallagher. 

FAI Junior Cup

Cappry Rovers 3

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 5

A Johnny Friel hat-trick in the final 15 minutes turned this FAI Junior Cup match on it’s head as Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. progressed to the next round.

Cappry Rovers took the lead as early as the second minute when Dylan Ramsey converted Kyle Lafferty’s cross. Marty McAteer levelled the scores before the interval when he scored direct from a free kick.

Cappry again went in front when Kieran Gallagher scored from close range following a corner on 62 minutes. Alan Patton doubled the home side’s advantage on 68 minutes when he ran through and shot under the outrushing keeper.

Three minutes later Davitt Walsh headed a free-kick to the Cappry net to reduce the deficit.

It was level again on 74 minutes when Johnny Friel beat the off-side trap to get the first of his hat-trick.

On 82 minutes he put the Rab’s Park men in front for the first time in the match when Friel headed past O’ Meara.

Two minutes later he completed his hat-trick and by doing so wrote the name of Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. into the draw for the next round of the FAI Junior Cup.

Lifford Celtic 1

Aileach F.C. 4

Premier Division chamapions Lifford Celtic were well beaten in the FAI Junior Cup by Aileach FC.

Before the break, Aileach finished during a goalmouth scramble following a corner.

Lifford’s downfall was pressing for a leveller as they were caught on the counter-attack and Anthony Doherty finished from 18 yards.

Lifford got back in the game immediately when Johnny Robb converted a penalty. However, Aileach’s Doherty grabbed his second. Aileach finished the game off when they grabbed their fourth following a late corner. Good team performances from both sides.

Ulster Junior Cup

Ballybofey United 0

Redcastle F.C. 1

A goal two minutes from time was enough to send Redcastle F.C. through to the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup at the expense of Ballybofey United.

At the start of the second half Darren Kelly had a shot saved by Michael Mc Cole after he had been set up by Redmond. Mc Laughlin then got in behind the Ballybofey defence and was taken down by Bonar. James Curran stepped up to send the spot kick high over the crossbar.

Redcastle took control and in the 88th minute found the winner when Cunningham fed Mc Laughlin who had plenty to do as he stretched out his leg to get his toe to the ball with Patton rushing off his line in an effort to prevent the strike.