Bad weather fails to dampen the entertainment as FAI junior cup serves up plenty of thrills and spills

Bad weather fails to dampen the entertainment as FAI junior cup serves up plenty of thrills and spills
Heavy rain and strong winds ensured conditions were very difficult for the opening round of the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday.

Heavy rain and strong winds ensured conditions were very difficult for the opening round of the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday.

However, there was still plenty of entertainment and some thrilling cup action, none more so than in St. Johnstone where Drumoghill FC’s Liam O’Donnell scored a brilliant hat-trick in a 3-2 extra-time win over Keadue Rovers.

Glenea United recorded an impressive victory over Illies Celtic of the Inishowen League while there were also notable wins for Kerrykeel, Raphoe Town, Glencar Celtic and Cappry Rovers.

Erne Wanderers 0

Cockhill Cel Yths 3

This tie was played under the lights at the Lakeside Centre on Friday night.

The away team started the better of the two teams and settled well. However, it took them until just before the break until they found the opener - Alan Fletcher planting his header into the far corner. After the break, the home side enjoyed a period of supremacy during which Adam Coyne and Stephen Curneen had half chances. Wanderers were stunned when a long clearance from Celtic’s backline was converted by Darragh McDermott, despite Karl O’ Brien’s attempted block. John Campbell scored the third late on.

Referee: John McGlanaghey.

Fintown Harps 2

Ballybofey United 2

(B’bofey won 5-4 on pens)

The first half started great for the Harps with Peadar Toner getting taken down in the box. Daragh Gallagher scored the resulting penalty. In the 30th minute Ballybofey were awarded a penalty and Conor Doherty despatched the spot kick to level the scores. Ballybofey then capitalised on a gap in the Harps defence and Daragh Redman took on Fintown keeper Stephen McGrath and made no mistake, making it 2-1.

Fintown’s Daragh Gallagher then scored from a free kick in the 70th minute. When extra time failed to separate the sides it went to penalties with Ballybofey United progressing by five to four. Referee: Seamus Mc Gonigle

Glenea United 4

Illies Celtic 1

In wintry conditions it was Glenea who settled the quickest and took the lead on 10 minutes when, after good work by Michael Barry down the left , his cross found Sean McBride who drove the ball home from 12 yards out. The home side pressed for a second goal and were rewarded on 25 minutes when Sean Coll’s through ball released Darren Mc Geever and he kept his composure to drill the ball home from a tight angle.

In the 2nd half Illies came more into the game and on 55 minutes Paddy Doherty pulled a goal back. However, the home side extended their lead on 65 minutes when Paul Sweeney’s clearance was misjudged by the Illies keeper and the ball ran into the net. Denis Boyle played in Darren Mc Geever who slotted the ball home for the fourth.

Best for Glenea were Padraig McGee and Michael Mc Clafferty while Sean Mc Laughlin and Paddy Doherty were best for Illies. Referee: Mick Lagan

Raphoe Town 6

Ramelton Mariners 1

Raphoe took the lead when Tom Mc Hugh headed home from a Paddy Gallagher corner. Ramelton started to come into the game more after this and got a deserved equaliser.

Raphoe regained the lead when Jamie Gallagher finished well. They got another before half time when Emmett Kelly finished well after great work from Lee Smith. Raphoe made a few changes at half time when David Craig and Christy Bogle entered the fray and they scored again when young Simon Mc Glynn got in on the act with a great finish. David Craig and Jamie Gallagher added two more goals near the end as Raphoe progressed to the next round.

Referee: Marty Quinn.        

Curragh Athletic 2

Bonagee United 0 (AET)

The first half saw very few chances with Roy Duffy saving well on 35 minutes and his counterpart John Carr doing equally well on 39 minutes to turn a Calvin Bradley free kick around the post. The second half saw a lot more chances with Dan O’ Brien setting up Renato for an opportunity. Roy Duffy then had to be smart with saves from Kevin Doran and Reece Shortt.

In extra time, Curragh took the lead on 94 minutes when Renato curled home a corner before Calvin Bradley wrapped up the game with a shot from outside the box. Referee: Gerry Gallagher

Gweedore United 4 Glenree United 1

The visitors went in front after only two minutes when Nicholas Nelis headed a rebounded free kick past Liam McFadden. 

Both sides tried to settle and deal with conditions and Gweedore went in search, however, the score remained 1-0 until half time.

Gweedore equalised on 49 minutes, Shane O’ Donnell passing to Eugene Noel Ferry who fired home.  Three minutes later they were 2-1 up when Michael Connolly and Ciaran Mc Fadden combined and Mc Fadden finished well.

Glenree could have equalised in the 60th minute however Nelis’s shot was well blocked by Brian Gallagher.

Goals from Michael Connolly and McFaddenrounded off the win.

Castlefin Celtic 3

Kilmacrennan Ce 2

Castlefin took the lead after three minutes when Ronan Tourish broke down the wing and found Damien Mc Anenny free in the box and he slotted home.

The Castlefin keeper then took down the Kilmacrennan striker in the box on thirty one minutes. Michael McLaughlin stepped up to score the penalty to equalise for Kilmacrennan.

With both teams trying to take the lead before half time Castlefin won a corner on 44 minutes. A Dylan White corner came to the front post only to see the Kilmacrennan centre half Shane Sandilands head into this own net.

The second half started with Kilmacrennan having the better of the chances. They were denied by two great saves from Anthony O’Hagan in the Castlefin goals. Castlefin made it 3-1 on 78minutes when PJ Mc Menamin’s cross found Matthew O’Rourke who fired home.

Seconds later Kilmacrennan pulled it back to 3-2 with a free kick finding Liam McBride unmarked in the box.

Best for Castlefin: Ciaran Brennan and Michael Dunnion. Best for Kilmacrennan: Liam McBride.

Referee: Patrick Martin.

Gweedore Celtic 1

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 7

Gweedore were short a number of regulars but Kerrykeel fully deserved their victory. They opened the scoring on ten minutes with Fergus Callaghan slotting home from close range.

Johnny Friel doubled the lead on 20 minutes when he headed in a cross. He got on the end of another cross on the half hour to side-foot into the net. 

Gweedore pulled one back on 40 minutes when Paul Rua McBride converted a penalty. With the home team reduced to ten men for the second half the visitors took control and cantered to an easy win. Paddy Mc Granaghan hit number four on 50 minutes. John Friel completed his hat-trick on sixty minutes.

Mark Friel claimed number 6 on 70 minutes and five minutes later Kevin Loughrey was on target.

Referee: Ronan Floyd

Drumoghill F.C. 3

Keadue Rovers 2

A brilliant hat-trick from Liam O’Donnell secured Drumoghill’s passage to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup after this extra time thriller in St. Johnston.

Despite taking a 2-0 lead and appearing to be cruising to victory, Drumoghill needed extra time to finally secure victory after Keadue had bravely fought back in the latter stages to force extra time.

The first half was an even affair, the only goal of which was registered by Liam O’Donnell on 30 minutes when he was sent clear by Richard Tinney to drive low past Ben Boyle from a narrow angle.

O’Donnell doubled the lead shortly after half time from a 25 yard free kick that gave Boyle no chance. With the game seemingly heading Drumoghill’s way, Keadue introduced Marty Redmond from the bench and his impact was immediate. On 72minutes his cross was cleared only as far as Luke Neely and the striker’s accurate effort evaded the efforts of three defenders on the goal line.

The equaliser arrived with 8 minutes of normal time remaining when Mark Sweeney’s through ball was adjudged to have been handled by Chris O’Donnell and referee Martin Mc Annaney pointed to the spot before Donal Rodgers kept his nerve to force extra time.

In the 4th minute of extra time, Packie Coll’s long ball sent O’Donnell clear and the striker held off the challenge of Eoin Redmond to complete his hat-trick and finally clinch victory.

Lagan Harps 0 Cappry Rovers 4

Cappry started well and Darren O’Leary shot over on eighteen minutes. Lagan had their best opportunity of the match on 23 minutes when Ross Hamlyn put Shane Kelly through but he shot weakly at Benji O’Meara.

Cappry continued to dominate with their pressure finally being rewarded on 28 minutes. Darren O’Leary rose highest to power home a header from a corner.

Lagan made some changes before half time and improved for the first 20 minutes of the second half without really troubling the Cappry goal. Cappry always looked the more threatening and wrapped up the game with their second on 82 minutes. Barney Lafferty was played through and he beat the advancing Michael Toner to the ball and chipped home.

Cappry added another on 85 minutes. Michael Toner did well to push away a Brendan Mc Laughlin free for a corner. However, from the resulting corner his fisted clearance rebounded into the net off a Lagan defender.

Cappry completed the scoring in the final minute when Darren O’Leary was left free at the back post to head home another corner.

Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle.

Eany Celtic 0

Aileach F.C. 3

Aileach kept their unbeaten run intact at a blustery Eany Park. The visitors had the best of the first half with only a few chances falling to Eany.

Early in the second half a brace of goals from Gavin Doherty put Aileach in front. Anthony Doherty completed the scoring when he found space in the Eany box at a corner.

Eany goalkeeper Glen Campbell made a fine save in the second half from a penalty.

Milford United 0

Cootehill Harps 5

Milford made an early exit from the Junior Cup with a home defeat to Cavan side Cootehill Harps.  

Cootehill scored twice on the break in the first half with two well taken goals against a very casual and lack lustre home side. Milford’s best chance fell to Lee Burke but Cootehill’s keeper must be credited for making a good save. 

Milford dominated the second half, pushing to get a goal back, but failed despite having chances through Jamie Heena, Joey Cullen and Peter Doherty.

As Milford pressed forward they were caught three times in the final five minutes by counter attacks from Cootehill.

Referee: Ed Moore

Lifford Celtic 3

Cranford United 2

On a blustery day in Greenbrae Park it was Lifford who took an early lead as Ian Ward raced clear of the Cranford defence to cooly finish to the bottom corner.

Two quick goals in succession put Lifford three ahead just as half time approached; Kevin Mc Brearty got on the scoresheet with a 25 yard free kick moments before Johnny Mahon struck a 30 yard drive to the top corner giving the Cranford netminder no chance.

The second half began with Cranford committing more men forward which opened up the game with both sides creating opportunities. Philip Buchannan pulled a goal back for Cranford after a through ball from Kyle Black on the hour mark. This sparked Cranford into life as the same two players combined on 75 minutes for Buchannan to get his and Cranford’s second and set up a grandstand finish.

Lifford regrouped and saw out the final 15 minutes to progress to the next round with this hard earned 3-2 victory.

Whitestrand Utd. 4 Orchard F.C. 2

The home side were in front on 11 minutes when Orchard’s keeper made a good save from the Strand but it was followed up by Paul Lynch, who coolly slotted home.

Jerome Burke scored directly from a corner, which was undoubtedly aided by the blustery conditions.

The second half began with Orchard having the wind at their backs. The pressure eventually told when Charles McLaughlin scored for Orchard. Any fears that this would be game on were extinguished as Calvin McGowan broke clear and Jerome Burke finished to bag his second goal on 70 minutes.

Burke completed his hat-trick before Damien Wallace scored from Niall Bonner’s corner for Orchard.

Referee: Brian O’ Kane.

Deele Harps 3

Clones Town 1

The home side were brightest in the early exchanges and were in control without creating too much. In the 25th minute a defence splitting pass from Conor Catterson played in Shane Gallagher who finished well. However, in the 32nd minute the wind played it’s part in deceiving the Deele keeper and the Clones striker nipped in to score on the line.

The second half was dominated again by Deele with Clones limited to half chances. Paul Martin restored Deele’s advantage in the 60th minute after he headed home an excellent corner from Aidy Gallagher.   Gavin Gallagher then raced free from midfield to round the keeper and score.

Referee: Paddy Duffy

Tullyvinney Rvs 0 Buncrana Hearts 3

The Inishowen men got the breakthrough midway into the first half when a Kieran Mc Daid effort was blocked and the quick thinking Stephen McHugh cooly finished past Declan Malley.Soon after the lead was doubled when McHugh scored a superb over head kick. 

The second half was a much tighter affair with both defences well on top, Buncrana’s third goal coming in controversial fashion with the home side claiming offside against goalscorer Gary O’Flaherty.