MacCumhaill’s win derby clash with Glenfin

Tom Comack at Sean M


Tom Comack at Sean M

MacCumhaill’s win derby clash with Glenfin
MARTY O’REILLY and Brendan McLaughlin scored the goals as Sean MacCumhaill’s proved far too hot to handle for neighbours Glenfin, in Saturday evening’s Raidió na Gaeltachta SFC first round tie in Sean MacCumhaill Park.

MARTY O’REILLY and Brendan McLaughlin scored the goals as Sean MacCumhaill’s proved far too hot to handle for neighbours Glenfin, in Saturday evening’s Raidió na Gaeltachta SFC first round tie in Sean MacCumhaill Park.

Sean MacCumhaills 2-12

Glefin 1-5

As always the scoreboard doesn’t lie. MacCumhaill’s were much the better outfit and were in no way flattered at the finish by their 10-point winning margin.

Without injured All-Star Frank McGlynn and the honeymooning Ciaran Moy, Glenfin were but just a pale shadow of the side that registered recent impressive league wins over Termon and Glenswilly.

Except for a brief period at the start of the second quarter, when the Ward brothers Conor and Gerard posted three points without reply, in the space of six minutes, they were completely outplayed by much stronger and better balanced MacCumhaill’s.

The were on top at midfield, where Stephen O’Reilly and Pat McNulty held sway for most of the game, while up front man of the match Brendan McLaughlin and Marty O’Reilly really buzzed all evening and stretched the visiting defence at every opportunity.

The tactic of using corner forward Rory Dunleavy in a sweeping role across the half-back line worked a treat too. And with Seamus McGinty - who is 43 - defying the passing of time, John Lynch, the Dunnion brothers Gary and Joe, along with Andrew McCloskey and Gerard Grindle, MacCumaill’s are a tight defensive unit.

MacCumhaill’s broke from the traps at ligthening pace McLaughlin posted their first point inside 20 seconds. And with McLaughlin adding another shortly afterwards followd by points from Seamus McGintry, Marty O’Reilly and Pat McNulty, the rampant winners lead, 0-5 to 0-1, by the 17 minute mark.

Stephen McDermott, on 11 minutes, scored the Genfin point in an rare attack fromthe men from the Gaeltacht Lar who were on the back foot for most of the opening quarter hour.

Two quick points from young Conor Ward on 19 and 20 minutes and one from his brother Gerard on 23 minutes reduced the margin to a single point 0-5 to 0-4.

But Glenfin hopes of making a fight of it were dashed three minutes later when O’Reilly and Brendan McLaughlin combinbed with a defence splitting one-two for O’ Reilly to drill past Andrew Walsh.

And while Gerard Ward with a sweetly struck free from way out on the right hand side had the final say of the half, MacCumhaills went in 1-5 to 0-5 in front at half-time.

It was game on four minutes into the new half when Pat McNulty somehow managed to scoop the ball into an empty net for a Glenfin goal.

All of a sudden it was all square again 1-5 each and renewed hope among Glenfin followers. But it proved a false dawn.

With the temperature on the field raised a degree or two MacCumhaill’s soon settled again. And when Darren O’ Leary converted from 40 and 35 metres in quick succession and then kicked a delighful point from play the winners were back in the driving seat once again.

And with Glenfin heads down the locals twisted the dagger in the closing 15 minutes. They had already opened up a four-point gap 1-9 to 1-5 before McLaughlin twisted the dagger when he converted from a penalty after Marty O’Reilly was fouled.

That was on 51 minutes and in the closing ten minutes O’Leary landed one more peach of a point and substitute Darren McGowan knocked over two more for a convincing and deserving victory for Brendan Dunleavy’s men.

Marty O’ Reilly limped out of the game seven minutes from full-time with what his manager described afterwards as a dead leg injury.

Sean MacCumhaills: Chris Patton; Seamus McGinty (0-1), Joe Dunnion, John Lynch; Gerard Grindle, Gary Dunnion, Andrew McCloskey; Stephen O’Reilly, Pat McNulty (1-0 og); Brendan McLaughlin (1-3, 1-0 penalty, 0-1,1f), Brian Lafferty, Michael Lynch; Marty O’Reilly (1-1), Darren O’Leary (0-4,2f), Rory Dunleavy. Subs:Darren McGowan (0-2) for M. O’Reilly (53 inj); Owen Wright for S. McGinty (55).

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh; Ronan Gallagher, Mark McGinty (sen), Gareth Martin; Gary Dorrian, Gavin McDermott, Daniel McGlynn; Micheal McGlynn, Paddy Costelloe; Conor Ward (0-2), Stephen McDermott (0-1), Ciaran Foy; Kevin McGlynn, Gerard Ward (0-2,2f), Stephen McGlynn. Subs: Sean Foy for M. McGinty (14, inj); Malachy Martin for S. Foy (h/t); Sean Foy for C. Foy (49).

Referee: Seamus McGonagle (Aodh Ruadh).

Senior Reserve championship

Sean MacCumhaills 1-8

Glenfin 0-8

A late goal from David White proved the difference in this keenly contested reserve championship encounter between these neighbours in Sean MacCumhaill Park, on Saturday evening.

Sean MacCumhaills: R Patton; O McGroarty, M Gallagher (0-1), R McMenamin; M Sullivan, G Doherty, O McGroarty; A Gillespie, B Patton (0-1, 1f); N Quinn (0-2), D Whyte (1-3, 1 ‘45), A Kelly; C Muldoon, M Patton (0-1), A Patton. Sub: J Berne for O McGroarty (41 mins).

Glenfin: R Dorrian; D Harkin, M McGlynn, M O’Donnell; M Temple, S McGlynn (0-1), S McGinty; S Ward, L Keane (0-1); L Donnellan, P Moy (0-3, 3f), D Herron; E O’Donnell (0-2, 2f), PJ Scanlon, R Carlin. Subs: B McMonagle for S Ward (h/t), DDoherty for D Herron (h/t), C Morrow for P Moy, R McDermott (0-1, 1f) for E.O’Donnell.

Referee: Ryan Walsh (Bundoran).