Rathmullan and Glenea in Brian McCormick Cup final

Rathmullan Celtic will play Glenea United in he final of the Brian McCormick Cup after the semi-finals yesterday.

Rathmullan Celtic will play Glenea United in he final of the Brian McCormick Cup after the semi-finals yesterday.

Rathmullan needed extra-time to overcome Lifford Celtic by 2-1 in Castlefin while Premier leaders Glenea United were too strong for frontrunners in the Watson Hire Division One, Donegal Town, winning 5-1 at Bonagee.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

St. Catherine’s 2

This game was played in Rathmullan in horrible conditions as a fierce breeze endured for the entire game. Kilmac started well creating a few half chances but Daniel Breslin almost scored for St. Catherines, only denied by Mark Gallagher in the Kilmac goal.

The first goal was scored just before the half hour mark. Johnny Doherty swung in a teasing ball for Darren McGinley to blast home from close range. Catherines continued to push with Breslin and Jason Noctor going close. Kilmac scored their second moments before the half time whistle.

A sweet one two between Ryan Shields and Michael McLaughlin released Timmy Burke who’s thunderous volley landed in the top corner giving the Killybegs’ keeper absolutely no chance.

As expected St. Catherines came out strong in the second half and it was no surprise when Benny Maguire latched onto a Daniel Breslin flick to make it 2-1 with fifty minutes played.

The visitors, with the win to their backs, went in search for an equaliser but as the game went on they were met with a resolute Kilmac defence marshalled by Shaun Sandilands and Darren Toland. The visitors must have though it wasn’t going to be their day when a free kick rattled the cross bar, much to the relief of the home side.

With five minutes remaining however, a long ball by the St. Catherines keeper found its way to Jason Noctor who somehow managed to put the ball into the back of the net. Team efforts from both sides.

Referee: Ronan Floyd

Lagan Harps 1

Milford United 2

Lagan were left to rue some missed chances when they slipped further into the relegation battle. Milford gave themselves some breathing space after a strong defensive showing towards the end of the game.

Lagan started well with Aidan O’Donnell shooting just over. Shane Kelly was presented with a chance at the back post but shot wide. Austin Marron then did well to beat a few players at the edge of the Milford area but again shot wide. . Lagan opened the scoring on fifteen minutes when Drew Connolly broke clear on the left and curled a great finish into the far corner.

Milford responded and levelled on twenty minutes. Brendan Murray seized on a loose ball in a crowded area and volleyed home. Kevin Kelly had a well struck free for Lagan, well saved by Caolan Mc Gettigan. Milford took the lead just before halftime when Joey Cullen seized on another loose ball in the Lagan area and drilled home.

Milford started the second half brightly, with Brendan Murray seizing on a loose back header, but shooting over. Lagan had a great opportunity on seventy minutes when Austin Marron broke through on the left but shot into the side netting.

Lagan’s next opportunity came when Kevin Kelly crossed but James Gillen failed to get the vital touch at the back post. Milford went close on eighty minutes when Bryan Kelly managed to clear a Joey Cullen header off the line. Lagan continued to press but Milford were always dangerous on the break. Lagan’s next opportunity came when James Gillen fired a cross towards the back post.

Aidan O’Donnell threw himself at it but just couldn’t make contact. Lagan battled to the end but couldn’t break down a resolute Milford defence. For Lagan Conor Sweeney, Aidan O’Donnell, Kevin Kelly and Austin Marron did well. For Milford Paddy Peoples, Pauric Curley, Paul Shields and Brendan Murray were best.

Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Watson Hire Division One

Arranmore United 0

Ballybofey United 3

Arranmore United lost 3 nil in this relegation battle which sees Ballybofey guaranteed at least a play-off spot to remain in the Milford Inn Division One. A youthful Arranmore team fell behind after 5 minutes through a tidy finish into the bottom corner.

Arranmore came into the game after this with Christopher Mc Glanaghey and Daniel Rocky coming closest to getting the equaliser.

Ballybofey went 2 ahead after 60 minutes when they scored from a free kick. Arranmore now faced an uphill battle. They battled hard with young Martin Proctor the pick of the Arranmore team, getting forward at every chance from the back but he couldn’t find the goal his efforts deserved.

Shane Elliott playing up front for Arranmore missed chance after chance but could not find the target despite being set up numerous times. Chris Mc Glanaghey and Michael Regan also went close but Arranmore couldn’t find the target.

The third and final goal came on 70 minutes from Ballybofey who went home with all 3pts. Team performance from Ballybofey, with Martin Proctor best for Arranmore.

Drumoghill FC 3

Cappry Rovers 2

Drumoghill FC can breathe a sigh of relief after they held on to secure all 3 points against a brave Cappry side that came within the width of a post of completing the unlikeliest of comebacks.

Trailing 3-0 at the break, Cappry had fought back to reduce the deficit to 3-2 by the time substitute Donnelly placed the ball for an 85th minute free-kick from the edge of the box. However his super effort rattled the post and with it went the visitor’s hopes of salvaging a point.

Dillon Ramsey scored for Cappry on 55 minutes with a superb left footed strike which curled into the top corner and Malachy Martin on 75 minutes registered with an effort that deflected in off the unfortunate Richard Tinney to set up the frantic finish.

Drumoghill only had themselves to blame though had they have taken anything less than maximum points. They got off to the perfect start racing into a 2 goal lead with strikes from Liam O’Donnell and David Carroll inside the opening 10 minutes. O’Donnell seemed to have killed the game off as a contest just before half-time, by beating the off side trap to nudge past O’Meara for the 3rd, until Cappry’s brave fight-back set up an entertaining 2nd half

Curragh Athletic 1

Cranford United 0

A Dan O’Brien goal on seven minutes proved to be the match winner in a very close game played at Killygordon.

Played in freezing conditions, with both sides needing the win, Curragh just about deserved the win against a very experienced Cranford outfit. In a lively start, both Cranford and Curragh started well. But in the seventh minute, it was Curragh who made the important breakthrough.

Ryan Carlin was fouled in midfield, Michael O’ Brien floated the free kick into the Cranford box and there was Dan O’ Brien with his trademark finish to score his third goal in two matches.

It was the perfect start for Curragh, but with the experience of Shane Mc Elwaine, Philip Buchannan and Arthur Lynch in the Cranford team, this was never going to be an easy game. It could easily have been two nil on sixteen minutes but Shane Barclay saw his chip saved by the keeper when he ran through on goal. It could also have been even on twenty seven minutes, but Curragh got somehow off the hook when keeper Roy Duffy fouled, however, Duffy made more than up for his mistake with a double save from Philips Buchannan’s spot kick.

The game then continued with both teams trying to create a chance, but the chances were few and far between with Michael O’ Brien, Gary Doherty and Emmet Mc Nulty outstanding for Curragh and Arthur Lynch dominating the defensive area for Cranford. Dan O’ Brien did almost grab a second at the back post on seventy six minutes. With the game now entering the final minutes, Cranford did go close late on, with Lynch clipping the top of the crossbar with his second attempt from a free kick. Curragh held on for an important win which puts them back on top of the table. The home side also had good performances from Gareth Gallagher and Eddie Moore with Ryan Carlin, Dan O’ Brien ever dangerous in attack.

Referee: Con Mc Laughlin

Raphoe Town 0

Eany Celtic 2

This tightly contested match saw chances for both teams in the first half but neither could convert.

It was in the 60th minute that the deadlock was broke by a freak goal when Barry Rose crossed the ball from the side line and it dropped in at the back post. Again both teams had more chances but the game was sealed in the 80th minute when Raphoe scored an own goal and the match finish 2-0 to the visitors. Both teams put in good performances.

CT Ball Division Two

Copany Rovers 3

Glenree United 4

Copany welcomed Glenree to Ballykillone and produced a seven goal thriller. Copany opened the scoring on 39 minutes with Paul Clarke slotting into the bottom corner . Glenree equalised through Karl Mc Kenny who got on the end of a long throw-in just on the stroke of half time.

Copany started well in the second half and Rodger Leonard produced a piece of magic inside the Glenree box to put Copany 2-1 up . Copany had what you might call a fairly good chance to go 3-1 but failed to take the chance. Glenree pushed hard and Mc Clafferty made it 2-2.

A few minutes later Glen Harron put Copany 3-2 ahead. Glenree then scored two quick goals to win it. Mc Clafferty was best for Glenree and Copany’s was a team performance.

Dunlewy Celtic 2

Whitestrand United 2

In an entertaining affair, with both teams needing a win to keep their promotion hopes alive, they had to settle for a point apiece. The game started well for both teams and it was the visitors who took the lead through Shaun Gallagher.

The second half started well for the home side when Christy Cannon scored from a free kick, their second was scored by Stephen Gallagher when he rose highest to nod home. The visitors never gave up and got their reward when Paul lynch converted.

Both teams pushed for a winner but a draw was a fair result. Best for Dunlewey: Martin McFadden, Daniel Coll and Christy Cannon. A solid team performance from Whitestrand.

Gweedore United 4

Bonagee United 2

This top of the table clash played on a cold day in Gweedore saw the home side claim a vital 3 points in their quest for promotion this season following a good game between two good footballing sides.

In the first half both sides played a good entertaining open game of football with chances at both ends. In the 23rd minute the visitors took the lead when neat play was well finished by Ross Hamlyn to make it 1-0. Gweedore were back on level terms one minute later when Michael Connolly was brought down in the Bonagee box and Shane O’ Donnell, who was excellent on the day, scored the resulting spot kick to make it 1-1.

Both sides continued to entertain a good crowd at Carrickboyle, however it remained 1-1 until half time .In the second half Brian Gallagher’s side started well and took a deserved lead in the 57th minute when a good cross from Keith Sweeney was well headed into the top corner by Michael Connolly to make it 2-1. Bonagee’s Darren Coyle hit a good shot in the 60th minute but it went just wide. The home side continued to dominate the midfield area and went 3-1 up in the 75th minute when another Sweeney cross was well finished by Darren Ferry.

Gweedore made it 4-1 in the 84th minute when Ciaran Mc Fadden, who was well marked throughout this game, showed nice skill and pace to finish well. The visitors pulled one back in the 90th minute when Gary Mc Cracken tapped home from close range to make it 4-2. Paddy Mc Laughlin at left back and Paddy O’ Loan at sweeper played well for Bonagee and it was a good team performance from Gweedore with Darren Ferry, Shane O’ Donnell and Michael Connolly outstanding on the day.

Referee: Vincent Mc Laughlin.

Drumbar United 3

Convoy Arsenal 3

On a very windy day in Drumbar the home side got off to the perfect start when Cialion Loughney on 12 minutes slotted home from 10 yards. The visitors spoiled the celebrations ten minutes later when Cialion Given finished off a good move. Drumbar went ahead again on 35 minutes when Darragh Doogan followed the ball in the box to score from close range.

Pat Travers then equalised when he scored from 35 yards five minutes before half time. The second half started with the visitors playing well but Drumbar scored a great goal from 25 yards by Danny Hughes after 70 minutes.

They thought they had it won but Martin Kelly had other ideas when he scored with 8 minutes of normal time remaining.

Kerrykeel ’71 4

Letterbarrow Celtic 1

Kerrykeel ‘71 kept their promotion hopes well on track with a win against a gutsy Letterbarrow who made it far from easy for the men from Mulroy. Letterbarrow playing with the aid of a strong breeze in the first half took a well deserved lead on 14 minutes when James Mc Grory’s run broke the offside trap and he finished well past the advancing Mark Mc Conigley.

Kerrykeel pressed with Seimie Friel and Johnny Nanny both going close. They drew level on 40 minutes when Seimie Friel fired past C harlie Bonner. The ‘71 went in front on the stroke of half time when Johnny Nanny met a brilliant Marty Mc Ateer pass and he fired home from 18 yards.

Kerrykeel controlled the second half, with the breeze, and Johnny Nanny went close as did Fergal Friel who hit a great strike which skimmed the top of the bar. The points were made safe on 65 minutes when Seimie Friel was brought down in the area and Johnny converted the penalty kick to score his fifteenth goal of the season.

The goal of the game came on 80 minutes when Fergal Friel sent in a corner which was headed clear by the Letterbarrow defence. The ball fell kindly to Barney Mc Bride who hit an unstoppable strike from 30 yards into the top corner. Johnny Friel was denied his hatrick in the 88th minute when he met a great Tony Mc Bride cross only to see his delightful header come back off the post.

Best for Kerrykeel ‘71: Patrick Mc Conigley, Aidan Mc Ateer and Marty Mc Ateer. Team effort from Letterbarrow. Referee: Brian O’ Kane

Old Orchard Inn Division One

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 0

Glenea United Res 4

In arctic conditions this game was reversed to Glasserchoo. It was the Gaeltacht side that would come out on top. Glenea started well when Shane Ferry went close on 8 minutes after he beat the defender and the keeper only to see his effort cleared off the line.

Glenea opened the scoring on 40 minutes when a Shane Coll cross from the left was headed home by Martin Doohan. In the 2nd half Glenea continued to dominate but were unable extend their lead and it was the away side that came closest to scoring when Paul Doherty saw his long range effort come back off the crossbar.

This near miss seemed to stir the home side and on 70 minutes Martin Maguire was on hand to force the ball home after a scramble in the box. Glenea extended their lead on 80 minutes when Lee O’ Brien got past the defence and saw his effort half blocked by the keeper but loop into the net. Glenea’s 4th goal was added by Lee O’ Brien who was on hand to finish from close range after a pull back from Shane Ferry.

Best for Glenea were Shane Ferry & Martin Maguire, while it was a team effort from Kilmacrennan.

Referee: Martin Coll.

Glencar Inn Division Two

Milford United Res 5

Keadue Rovers Res 0

Milford had a comfortable victory over an under strength Keadue in a cold and windy Rathmullan. The home team controlled the game from the beginning but it took 25 minutes before Lee Burke broke the deadlock with an excellent turn and finish.

Keadue faced an uphill battle after being reduced to ten men through injury and Milford took advantage with Ciaran Blaney finding the net on 40 minutes. The second half continued with Milford attacking but failing to create many clear cut chances.

The third goal came after a Ciaran Gibbons free kick was spilled by the keeper and Brendan McGinley reacted quickest to score from close range. Connor Meckin, on as a sub, scored a superb fourth from twenty yards and Ciran Blaney wrapped up the game with his second.

Cranford United Res 0

Downtown United 1

Cranford and Downtown played out an entertaining game at a cold Cranford Park. It started off evenly with neither team creating many chances but after 20 minutes Downtown got on top and had a couple of good chances through Niall Bonnar and Charlie McLaughlin.

In the 35th minute Niall Bonnar finished well from inside the box to put Downtown one up. Cranford responded well and Paddy Mc Groady set up Johnny Wilhare whose shot went just over the bar.

In the second half Downtown started well and Charlie McLaughlin and a couple of good chances but couldn’t finish. Cranford then came into the game in the last 30 minutes and were unlucky not to equalise when Dale McFadden hit the side net after a flick on from Paddy Mc Groady.

Applying good pressure Cranford had a number of good chances and a Paddy Mc Groady shot was well saved by the Downtown keeper. A Paddy Shiels’ header went inches over the bar as Cranford tried to secure a share of the spoils but it wasn’t to be. Two good battling team performance