Cappry Rovers bow out of FAI Junior Cup

Cappry Rovers were defeated by a much stronger Innishvilla team from Cork in the FAI Junior Cup in Cappry Park on Sunday.

Cappry Rovers were defeated by a much stronger Innishvilla team from Cork in the FAI Junior Cup in Cappry Park on Sunday.

Cappry Rovers 1

Innishvilla 3
Play swung from end to end with both teams playing their hearts out in a good competitive opening period with both defences kept busy. Cappry opened the scoring in the 27th minute when Kevin McGlynn fired to the bottom left hand corner of the net past the diving keeper following a cross.
The visitors put the pressure on in search of the equaliser but it was Cappry who nearly scored through Malachy Martin but his shot went narrowly wide. Innishvilla got back on level terms in the 39th minute when a shot from close range by Mickey Lynch deceived Benji O’Meara and finished in the back of the net.

The visitors went in front in the 41st minute through Mickey Lynch when the Cappry defence failed to clear their lines and he scored from close range.
In the second half Cappry went in search of the equaliser, created a few good chances, one where the ball ran along the goal line but there was no one to finish it. Cappry had another shot which hit the crossbar. The visitors also hit the bar.
Cappry threw caution to the wind and played three at the back but were caught in the 85th minute when Mark Murphy beat the offside trap to drill the ball past the advancing O’Meara in the Cappry goal to seal the game and put the Cork team through to the next round of the cup.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Milford United 0

Rathmullan Celtic 3

Rathmullan came out on top in this highly anticipated local derby game following the Christmas break.

Rathmullan made the breakthrough on 21 minutes on the counterattack when Oisin McMenamin broke from the halfway line to finish well. From another counter attack Eamon Sheridan held the ball up and put a perfect pass into the path of McMenamin who again finished well. Paddy Sheridan scored a good goal breaking from left back in the injury time to secure victory.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 5

Dunkineely Celtic 1

Kilmacrennan Celtic started the new year with a fine win over Dunkineely Celtic when Caolan Kelly grabbed a hat-trick.

The breakthrough came when Ryan Shiels rose highest and headed home a Michael McLaughlin corner. Kelly then tapped in a second goal. Dunkineely played their way into the game and scored in the first half through Martin Cunningham. Kilmacrennan had time for another goal however, when Aidan Friel made a fantastic run down the right wing to cross for Kelly to collect his second of the game.

Kilmacrennan caught the visitors on the break when McLaughlin found himself one on one and coolly finished. Kelly collected his hat-trick when Eddie Doherty found the striker unmarked.

Gweedore Celtic 0

Lifford Celtic 1

A blustering crosswind didn’t help matters but Lifford will be satisfied to come away with three points from An Screaban on Sunday.

The visitors controlled the early exchanges but a few long range shots didn’t trouble Michael McKelvey the home keeper. The only goal arrived on 40 minutes when a mix-up in the home defence allowed Jude Patton to nip in and calmly finished from close range.

Watson Hire Division One

Arranmore United 0

Curragh Athletic 4

Curragh claimed all three points on their visit to the Island scoring four times in the process.

The first was scored by Shane Barclay, finishing a right wing cross at the end of first half then Ryan Carlin toe-poked an effort home from inside the area following a long clearance. The third and fourth were from corners and quick breaks both times the visitors finishing well.

Ballybofey United 1 Raphoe Town 1

In a lacklustre affair played at the Finn Valley complex in Stranorlar Ballybofey United and Raphoe Town shared the points.

Just as the half time whistle seemed imminent Alan Patton crashed home a blistering shot from 40 yards to put the home side ahead. Ten minutes after the re-start Raphoe pulled themselves level.

Cranford United 1 Eany Celtic 1

Due to the poor weather conditions the game was switched to Trighalough
in Fanad and both teams had to be content with a point apiece.

A long ball from the goalkeeper was fired goalwards by Neil Lloyd forcing Enda McHugh into a great save but Barry Rose forced home the rebound. Cranford quickly got back on terms when a Philip Buchanan cross was tucked in by Danny McBride.

CT Ball Division Two

Kerrykeel ’71 3

Convoy Arsenal 2

Kerrykeel ‘71 grabbed all three points in their first game of 2013 against Convoy Arsenal thanks to a last minute penalty from Mark Friel.

The ‘71 went in front when Niall Doherty finished well after great work from Cathal Martin. Kerrykeel made it 2-0 when Miley McBride cooly slotted home from six yards after a great one-two with Cathal Martin.

Convoy got one back when Eamonn Kelly swung in a great ball and Barney McBride could only head into his own goal. Convoy kept pushing and got level after a Kerrykeel attack broke down and Paddy Melaugh broke clear and beat the advancing keeper. In the final seconds Kerrykeel launched a ball forward and Seimie Friel brought it down with a great touch driving into the box and as he was about to unleash his strike he was pulled down. With referee Dennis O’Donnell pointing to the spot, Friel stepped up to convert from the penalty spot.

Copany Rovers 4

Dunlewy Celtic 0

Copany produced a four-star performance to beat promotion chasing Dunlewey by four goals to nil at Killowen Park.

Darragh Brogan opened Copany’s account when he latched onto a quickly taken throw from Marty McGrath and fired home from the edge of the box.

Copany doubled their advantage when McGrath fired home from close range after the ‘keeper could only palm Darragh Brogan’s effort into his path.

On 33 minutes David Graham broke the offside trap and drove the ball low past the ‘keeper to make it three for the hosts.

Darragh Brogan wrapped up an excellent half when he broke the offside trap and fired to the corner of the net following some good build up play from the Cobras.

Downtown Cup Group A

Erne Wanderers 5

Milford United 1

Erne Wanderers started the new year off with a comfortable win against Milford on Friday night under the lights in the Lakeside with Michael Ward sticking in a treble.

Erne took the lead when Mark Dorrian ran into acres of space and he dribbled into the box and pulled the ball back to the edge of the area for Mulligan to score. Ryan O’Brien made it two on the half-hour.

The third came at half time when Ward beat his man on the left side of the area and his cross come shot reached the back post where right back Micheal Dolan slid in to riffle into roof of the net.

The home team extended thier lead on the hour mark when Ward fired home from six yards. Milford got on the score sheet on 70 minutes when they got a penalty and it was neatly tucked into the corner.

Wanderers got the fifth on 80 minutes when Ward raced clear to round the keeper and tap into empty net for his hat-trick.

Glenea United Reserves 9

Tullyvinney Rovers 0

Glenea got their Downtown Cup campaign underway with a comfortable win over Tullyvinney.

The home side were rewarded on 20 minutes when Lee O’Brien was on hand to tap home after the away keeper failed to deal with a cross. Glenea extended their lead on 24 minutes when Sean Maguire released Michael McClafferty and he slotted the ball home. Glenea got their third on 32 minutes when Martin Maguire converted Martin Doohan’s cross.

Glenea’s fourth came on the break, with Tommy Rodgers running from the halfway line to slot the ball home. Any hope the Tullyvinney had of getting back into the game was reduced when Padraig McGee converted a penalty for Glenea on 50 minutes. Glenea added further goals from Martin Maguire, Martin Ferry and two more from Lee O’Brien to complete his hat-trick.

Downtown Cup Group B

Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2

Donegal Town Reserves 2

Kilmacrennan were held at home on Saturday by a resilient Donegal Town side in wet, mucky conditions at Lurgy Park.

Kilmacrennan started the game brightly and scored when Liam McBride put JJ Fleming through on goal and he made no mistake.

Cathal Gallagher pounced on a mistake in the Donegal Town defence to place the ball into the empty net to give the hosts a two-goal lead. Donegal Town pressed hard for a way back into the game and got one on the hour mark after Ted Bustard was slid through and he beat the keeper. The Donegal forward was on the mark again 15 minutes later, capitalising on a mistake in the Kilmacrennan defence to score his second.

Glenree United Reserves 2

Ramelton Mariners 4

Ramelton Mariners enjoyed a useful away win in tough conditions against neighbours Glenree United thanks to three late goals.

It was the away team that started well when a free kick was whipped in by David Fisher only to be missed by everyone to nestle in the corner of the net. The home side got themselves back into the game when Kevin Doherty pressurised the goalie and right back into a mistake which lead to the equaliser.

Glenree took the lead when another free kick lead to a goal with Vinny McLaughlin flicking on a header which curled nicely into the corner of the goals.

A mix-up in the home side’s defence which led to the equaliser from Barry Mooney with just eight minutes left. Glenree never really recovered from that blow and conceded the third moments later when Cathal Mc Gettigan finished well and an easy fourth was tapped in for the away side.

National Youth Inter-league tournament

Inishowen League 1

Donegal League 0

The Donegal Youth League bowed out of the National Youth Inter-league tournament as their Inishowen League counterparts progressed to the last eight of the competition.

The only goal of the game at Maginn Park came from a diving header from Aileach’s Georgie Kelly on 21 minutes. Donegal created their chances but Inishowen, who defeat Sligo-Leitrim 6-0 in their opening match, knew a draw was even enough to see them progress on goal difference.