Champions Glenea United take over at the top

GLENEA UNITED won the league title last season after they defeated neighbours Gweedore Celtic on penalties and yesterday they showed they’ve the belly to retain it thanks to a vital 1-0 away win at Milford United.

GLENEA UNITED won the league title last season after they defeated neighbours Gweedore Celtic on penalties and yesterday they showed they’ve the belly to retain it thanks to a vital 1-0 away win at Milford United.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Milford United 0

Glenea United 1

Milford United were defeated by a hard working, well organised Glenea United side who showed the credentials of Champions as they ground out a valuable three points.

Denis Boyle got the winning goal for Glenea with fifteen minutes remaining when his well floated free kick eluded everyone on it’s way, via the post, to the net. Milford pushed for an equaliser with Mark Flood and Peter Doherty having chances but all to no avail.

Gweedore Celtic 2

Kilmacrennan Celtic 1

Two goals from Cathal Mulligan helped ease Gweedore Celtic’s relegation worries and dent Kilmacrennan’s title aspirations.

A goal in the second minute of each half set the foundation for this victory. Gweedore started brightly and it was no surprise when they took an early lead.

Jambo Boyle played the ball to John Walsh, who set up Mulligan for the opening goal.

The second half was only seconds old when a Diver cross was headed wide by Mulligan but he made amends later on when he got on the end of a Diver cross to make it two.

After 60 minutes Eddie Doherty pulled a goal back from a through ball by Timmy Burke. Despite putting the home team under pressure Kilmacrennan could not create another opening and Gweedore held out for a deserved victory. 

Castlefin Celtic 0

St. Catherine’s 4

Castlefin Celtic are still without a win all season and they were hammered at home yesterday by third from bottom St Catherine’s.

The Killybegs side took the lead in the 13th minute when Daniel Breslin capitalised on sloppy defending to slot home. Castlefin began to press but their efforts came to no avail. In the 46th minute St Catherine’s doubled their lead when a Brendan Maguire free from the left was deflected into the net by a Castlefin defender.

In the 60th minute the visitors increased their lead when Shane O’Rourke broke down the right and crossed for Breslin, who finished well.

Watson Hire Division One

Cranford United 6

Raphoe Town 0

Cranford United maintained their place at the top of the Watson Hire Division One after a comfortable home win over Raphoe Town.

It took until three minutes before the break for the home team to take the lead thanks to a penalty from Philip Buchanan.

Shaun McElwaine made it two after 50 minutes and Michael McGinley’s goal meant that Cranford had taken complete control.

Michael McGinley made it 4-0 when he ran through from halfway and scored from 10 yards. Then, Buchanan got his second and his team’s fifth and Patrick McGroddy completed the rout.

Eany Celtic 2

Curragh Athletic 2

Curragh Athletic remain in second place in the standings but it was Eany Celtic who were much the happier yesterday after coming from two down to draw.

The visitors got off to the perfect start when Paddy Collins broke through the Eany defence to score from close range on five minutes.

Eany came back into the game but despite a lot of hard work trailed at half time. Eany took up where they left off and kept the pressure on from the start of the second half with Barry Rose shooting wide from close range.

Ryan Carlin then on the hour made a fine individual run and scored the second goal for the Curragh. Eany never gave up and got their just reward with James Flynn finding the net with 10 minutes to go . Eany continued to dominate and got the equaliser on the 90th minute with Seamie Cannon scoring from a corner.

Keadue Rovers 2

Drumoghill FC 1

Keadue had a hard fought victory over Drumoghill at Central Park yesterday.

The very windy conditions made playing very difficult and as a result it was a very scrappy game despite the best efforts of both sides.

Keadue took the lead in the fifth minute, a ball over the top being chased down by Sean Boyle who rifled it home from close range.

Into the second half it was still fairly scrappy up until the hour mark when Keadue had a couple of good set piece opportunities.

Drumoghill kept battling away and were rewarded with 20 minutes left when a ball from the left into the box was met by Liam O’Donnell for a close range finish.

Keadue reacted well to this and on 75 minutes went ahead again when a corner was headed into his own net by John Madigan.

CT Ball Division Two

Bonagee United 2

Dunlewy Celtic 2

Bonagee United are on top of the CT Ball Division Two by a single point after yesterday’s 2-2 draw with Dunlewey Celtic.

The away team took the lead in the fourth minute when a free-kick from the left was crossed into the box and the ball broke to Lorcan Gallagher, whose shot found the bottom corner of the net.

Bonagee levelled when Kevin Doran scored direct from a free kick wide on the left only for Dunlewey to retake the lead again on 48 minutes after a mix-up in the Bonagee defence.

The ball fell to John Cannon and he made no mistake from 12 yards. Bonagee made it two each on 70 minutes. Darren Coyle took on two defenders and shot home from just inside the box to the back of the net.

Gweedore United 10

Convoy Arsenal 0

Gweedore United reached double figures as they hammered Convoy Arsenal by 10 goals to nil at Carrickboyle with Ciaran McFadden bagging four.w

United took the lead after three minutes when Brian Gallagher’s well delivered free kick was headed to the back of the net by Michael Connolly.

Four minutes later Gallagher himself scored a free kick from 35 yards to make it 2-0. In the eighth minute Convoy got a penalty and Darren Harvey’s spot kick was excellently saved by Liam Mc Fadden in the Gweedore nets.

Ciaran Mc Fadden put United three up in the 15th minute and got his second and United’s fourth in the 24 minute after a good cross from Keith Sweeney.

In the 30th minute Darren Ferry was pulled down in the Convoy area and Shane O’Donnell converted the resulting penalty.

Two minutes later Mc Fadden got his hat-trick following good individual work to make it 6-0. In the 39th minute Connolly got his second with a good finish. In the 42nd minute Darren Ferry made it 8-0 with a good shot from 20 yards.

In the second half United continued their good play and made it 9-0 in the 52 minute when McFadden got his fourth after a good run once again. In the 77th minute Frank McGee made it 10-0 when he tapped home from close range following a good pass from McFadden.

Ulster Junior Cup

Lifford Celtic 2

Greencastle FC 1

Lifford Celtic came from a goal down to get the better of Inishowen League outfit Greencaste United yesterday.

Greencastle started the brightest and had Lifford on the back foot for the opening half hour, they eventually got their reward when Ryan McDermott got on the end of a deep cross to volley to the net giving Lee White no chance.

Lifford got a foothold in the game on the stroke of half time when Mark Neeson finished to the top corner from 20 yards.

Lifford grabbed their second and the winner late in the game when JP O’Mailey scored following a flowing move involving Laverty, Mc Brearty and Colin Carlin.

Orchard Inn Division One

Castlefin Celtic Res 2

Erne Wanderers 1

League leaders Erne Wanderers were beaten for only the second time in the Old Orchard Inn Division One this terms when Castlefin Celtic turned them over at Parkview.

In the 44th minute Erne took the lead when Michael Ward crossed for Dermot Slevin to tap home.

Castlefin upped their game and in the 65th minute Stephen Lafferty had a header cleared off the line. Castlefin equalised in the 70th minute when a pinpoint cross by Thomas Devlin was headed home by Mark Lafferty. The home team continued to press and their efforts were rewarded when James McMenamin’s shot flew into the top corner from 20 yards with three minutes remaining.

Glenea United Res 4

Ramelton Mariners 1

Second placed Glenea United came from a goal down to post a comfortable 4-1 win over Ramelton Mariners.

The away side that took the lead on 25 minutes when after a quick break Gavin Mackie got onto the through pass and he slotted the ball home.

Glenea were back on level terms within two minutes when Edward Muldowney slid the ball through the defence and Shane Ferry dispatched the ball to the net.

In the 60th minute when the away ‘keeper was sent off for a last man foul. Glenea started to take control of the game and were awarded a penalty on 65 minutes when Tommy Rodgers was fouled in the box and Martin Maguire converted the spot kick.

Maguire increased Glenea’s lead with a great strike from 25 yards. Not to be outdone Ferry got his second goal of the game with a great strike from 30 yards

Mulroy Celtic 6

Kilmacrennan C Res 1

Mulroy Celtic and Kilmacrennan Celtic both had 10 points before Saturday’s meeting but there was a clear winner as the hosts ran riot.

The first goal came after a long kick out from stand in keeper Eamon Sweeney was chased all the way by Friel and his battling paid off as he beat the keeper to the ball and dispatched the ball neatly into the empty net.

The second goal soon followed when the impressive Shane Sweeney lobbed the keeper from 20 yards.

It was inevitable Griffin was going to get on the score-sheet, he raced clear onto a Dougie through ball and passed it past the keeper and he added a second.

Kilmacrennan struck back five minutes into the second half when very slack defending resulted in a free kick been allowed to hang in the eighteen yard box and Doc headed the ball into the bottom corner.

Glencar Division Two

Keadue Rovers 1

Downtown United 2

Downtown United came back from Keadue Rovers’ Central Park with all three points.

It was Downtown who went ahead on 10 minutes, a shot from the edge of the area by Stephen Toye giving them the lead.

Keadue equalised on 33 minutes when Darragh Hanlon’s excellent cross was met by Damian Hanlon at the far post.

Downtown regained the lead on 73 minutes when Charlie Creevy reacted well to a ball over the top before smashing home from close range.

Tempers became a bit frayed at the end and Downtown were reduced to 10 men after a goalmouth scuffle.

Glenree Utd Res 0

Cranford Utd Res 1

One goal was all it took for Cranford United to post a win at their neighbours Glenree United.

Against the run of play Cranford got what proved to be the winner on 70minutes when Conor Doherty swung in a cross which ended up in the net.

In the last few moments Glenree must have thought they had got a well deserved share of the spoils only for Nelis to see his header cleared off the line again. The match ended with the away side leaving with the three points.

Downtown Cup Group A

Tullyvinney Rvs 1

Milford Utd Res 2

Milford United managed to win their away fixture against Tullyvinny Rovers on Saturday.

Tullyvinney opened the scoring when a free kick on the right was swung in by Garvan Tinney.

It was too strong for the Milford keeper to hold on to. The ball was parried out to the in-rushing Martin Alexander who scored from six yards.

In a 10-minute period before half time the game was going in the visitors favour when Aidan O’Donnell broke the offside trap and scored a fine goal with a shot from 12 yards out.

In the 38th minute, after good work down the left wing, Lee Burke scored with a fine shot.

Downtown Cup Group C

Deele Harps 5

Gweedore United 0

Deele Harps ran out comfortable winners against Gweedore United on Saturday.

The home side were in control from the start with Christopher Roulstone in the Deele goal barely called into any action in the game. Shane Gallagher was again outstanding grabbing a hat-trick, which included a couple of penalties either side of half time, both times Aidy Gallagher was brought down in the box.

Aidy Gallagher also grabbed a brace , a 30th minute free kick from 20 yards and a sublime chip over the keeper on 65 minutes, but Gweedore were outplayed all over the pitch by a great team performance from the home side with Shane Gallagher standing out for his work rate and goals.