St. Naul’s take points in Ballyshannon

Aodh Ruadh were denied at least a deserved share of the points after a battling performance against St Naul’s in Division Three on Saturday evening.

Aodh Ruadh were denied at least a deserved share of the points after a battling performance against St Naul’s in Division Three on Saturday evening.

Aodh Ruadh 2-8

St. Naul’s 1-12

A goal from Michael Sticky Ward had Aodh Ruadh ahead by 1-2 to 0-4 at the end of the opening quarter.

Mark Ward levelled from a free before Aodh Ruadh engineered their second goal of the match. Damien Cleary got on the ball 40 metres out from the Naul’s goals and slalomed his way through the St Naul’s defence before a slamming home a magnificent shot past Patrick Burke.

Mark Ward hit back with two frees before Donagh McIntyre fired over a great score from out on the right. Another free from Ward finished the scoring for the half sending Aodh Ruadh in leading 2-3 to 0-8.

Mark Ward got his first score from play four minutes into the second half to level up the game. David Dolan and John Rose exchanged two fine efforts before St Naul’s raised their first green flag of the game. Mountcharles worked the ball into the Aodh Ruadh area and Brendan Breen applied the finishing touch from close range to put St Nauls’ into the lead for the first time in 30 minutes.

Mark Ward pointed directly from the kick out to give the visitors a four point lead. Stephen Griffin came on at 41 minutes for Conor McDevitt, but McDevitt had to reintroduced two minutes later for Enda Lynch who was taken off after being down for a sustained spell.

Aodh Ruadh responded better to the break in play. First David Dolan hit over a handy free, before Damien Cleary slotted over a mass of bodies in the St Naul’s penalty area but Eddie Gallagher took their last point on 50 minutes, an excellent effort from long range.

Ruairí Drummond got a point three minutes into injury time. That was followed shortly after by a magnificent effort from Anthony Boyle to reduce the margin to the minimum.

Mark Ward was in super form for St Naul’s, indeed the fact that the introduction of Stephen Griffin far from improved Mountcharles placed ball performance speaks for itself. John Rose’s two points were superbly taken and proved vital scores in the final shake-up.

Damien Cleary was excellent for Aodh Ruadh with 1-2, even despite managing to get himself sent of on a second yellow on 54 minutes. Donagh McIntyre also soldiered well in the middle. It was a good game for the Aodh Ruadh old guard in general with Brian Roper, Niall McCready and Sticky Ward all clearly relishing the summer sod.

Aodh Ruadh: Paul Kane; Michael Dolan, Ciron Whoriskey, Ronan Drummond; David Finnerty, PJ McGee, Anthony Boyle (0-1); Donagh McIntyre (0-1), Damen Cleary (1-2); Padraig Loughlin, Brian Roper, David Dolan (0-2, 1f); Diarmaid McInerney, Michael Ward (1-0), Niall McCready. Subs: Kerry Ryan for Brian Roper: 20; Ruairí Drummond (0-1) for Michael Ward ht; Brian Roper for Diarmaid McInerney: 38; Ronan Matthews for Padraig Loughlin 52

St Naul’s: Patrick Burke; Conor McBrearty, Enda Lynch, Jamie White; John Rose (0-2), Gavin Maguire, Conor McDevitt; Fiachra McGinley, Daniel Friel; Shane Coneely, Mark Ward (0-8, 6f), Eddie Gallagher (0-1); Cathal Lowther (0-1), Brendan Breen (1-0), Liam McGroarty. Subs: Stephen Griffin for Conor McDevitt 41; Conor McDevitt for Enda Lynch 43; Aidan Meehan for Jamie White.

Referee: Connie Doherty

Downings 0-6

Red Hughs 0-9

Red Hughs picked up two more precious league points in a hard fought battle with Downings in Downings on Saturday evening.

In windy conditions the men from the Cross were quick out of the traps and had four scores on the board before Downings awoke to the challenge. Damian Browne, with three frees and Colm Melaugh struck those early Red Hugh’s scores.

And while Colin Gallagher got the locals off the mark with a well struck sideline with Browne in fine form and Martin Bonner also hitting the target the visitors were still four up, 0-6 to 0-4, at half-time. Gary ‘Ban’ McClafferty posted the other Downings point.

Points from James McBride and Gary Ban saw Downings reduce the margin to two in the opening ten minutes of the second period.

But with Browne responding with two strikes (one free), Donal Reid’s men were four up again and despite appeals for a penalty all Downings had to show for the closing quarter was two more Gary Ban frees as Red Hugh’s held on for a deserved win and a fourth defeat on the trot for Downings.

Downings: S Boylan; S Gallagher, M McLaughlin, G Coyle; K Doherty, J Mc Bride(0-1), M Bradley; S McBride, S Coyle(0-1); A McClafferty(0-2), D McBride, S McGinley; O Boyce(0-1,1f), G McClafferty(0-4,3f), C Gallagher(0-1). Subs: B Mc Gee, S McClafferty, J Doherty

Red Hughs: M.Shields, P.Mc Glinchey, T.Mc Menamin, S.Gallagher, G.Kelly, K.Melaugh, A.Mangan, M.Mc Memanin, G.Melaugh, C.Melaugh (0-1), M.Bonner (0-1), R.Kelly, D.Browne(0-7,6f), C.Bradley, PJ. Gallagher

Referee: Kevin Dohert