Castlefin stroll on derby day

CASTELFIN CELTIC were the big winners in the Donegal Junior League Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division when they hammered neighbours Lifford Celtic. Drumoghill’s fixture against Gweedore Celtic was postponed due to a bereavement.

CASTELFIN CELTIC were the big winners in the Donegal Junior League Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division when they hammered neighbours Lifford Celtic. Drumoghill’s fixture against Gweedore Celtic was postponed due to a bereavement.

Castlefin Celtic 7

E White 20, 54 pen, 72; R Tourish 50; M O’Rourke 60; D McAnenney 77, 89

Lifford Celtic 1

J Patton 70

Castlefin Celtic battered neighbours Lifford Celtic on Sunday with an excellent second half performance with Emmet White scoring a hat-trick.

The home team broke the deadlock when Ronan Tourish crossed for White to find the net with a back post header. The second half got off to an explosive start, just five minutes in Barry Tourish crossed for brother Ronan to find the net. White had the Castlefin three up from the penalty spot. Matthew O’ Rourke added a fourth when he rounded the keeper and found the net from an acute angle. Lifford pulled one back when a Damien Patton free-kick was headed to the net by Jude Patton at the back post. White completed his hat-trick before Damien McAnenney scored a late brace.

Eany Celtic 1

E Gallagher 49

Dunkineely Celtic 0

A single goal from Eddie Gallagher was enough for Eany Celtic to obtain the local bragging rights in the derby clash on Sunday.

The hosts opened the second half brighter and Gallagher met a Stuart Johnston free-kick to open the scoring. The visitors introduced Andrew Mackey and shortly after his introduction he had the ball in the Eany net only to be ruled offside. Aidan Duddy went close for the Dunkineely late on.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

Arranmore United 3

S Elliott 44; D O’Donnell 50; G McGhee 70

St Catherines 2

J Noctor 55; S Leslie 80

Arranmore United had a fine home win on Sunday against title-chasing St Catherine’s thanks to Frankie Early’s late penalty save.

On the stroke of half-time Arranmore got their noses in front when Daniel Boner unselfishly set up Shane Elliot to slot home his first goal for the club. The home side doubled their advantage when a great delivery from Benny McGarvey was met by the head of Daniel O’Donnell. St Catherines pulled one back when Jason Noctor headed home following a corner. Arranmore promptly regained a two goal advantage following great play involving Paul Mc Garvey and Shane Elliot which set up the tireless Gary McGhee to finish neatly in the corner. However, St Catherine’s would not lie down and pulled one back when a cross-come-shot from Steven Lesley found its way to the back of the net. The visitors went all out for an equaliser and had the chance on 80 minutes when Martin McGarvey was penalised for handball. Frankie Early made a brilliant save from the resulting penalty to deny Charles Smith.

CT Ball Division Two

Drumbar United 3

C Nixon 20 pen; B Travers 61; D Giblin 75

Copany Rovers 2

D Duncan 35; H McPartland 60

Drumbar United came out on top by the odd goal in five in an entertaining match against Copany Rovers.

Ciaran Nixon scored the rebound from a penalty after his first shot was saved. Copany equalised when Darl Duncan hit the top corner when a corner was not cleared properly by the home side.  The away side went ahead when David Giblin broke into the box and he gave a low pass to Hugh McPartland who scored from close range. Copany struck back instantly when Brian Travers shot from distance and it wrong footed the goalkeeper. The game could have went any way after this but Drumbar broke again with Giblin rounding the keeper and he scored from six yards.

Letterbarrow Celtic 1

E O’Neill 30

Bonagee United 3

L McMonagle 45+5; S Kelly 70; D Hunter 85

Bonagee United came back from their fixture against Letterbarrow Celtic with all three points after a 3-1 win.

Letterbarrow took the lead when Emmett O’Neill drove home from 20 yards after good build-up play by James McGroary. However, Bonagee got back into the game five minutes into injury time in the first half when Liam McMonagle slotted home from six yards after the Letterbarrow defence stopped. Bonagee took the lead when Shane Kelly scored from the spot. With Letterbarrow pushing for the equaliser Darren Hunter hammered a fine shot past the home keeper to win the game for the visitors.

Glenree United 1

P Coyle 67

Keadue Rovers 1

H McBeth 30 Keadue Rovers took the scenic route towards Sheephaven Bay and left with a share of the spoils against Keadue Rovers.

Keadue began to settle and they were rewarded when Hamlisch McBeth scored from a goal mouth scramble. The Trojan work ethic of the home team provided the catalyst for Paul Coyle to score with his first touch to level things up.

Ulster Cup

Glenea United 1

Own goal 82

Moville Celtic 2

C McLaughlin 43; N McGarrigle 65

Glenea’s run in the Ulster Cup came to an end with this defeat by Moville so the Premier Division will now be at the forefront of their attentions.

Moville took the lead when a long range speculative effort from Conor McLaughlin somehow found its way to the net. They doubled their lead when Nigel McGarrigle took advantage of a defensive error to slot the ball home. Glenea tried hard to get back into the game and were finally rewarded when a Moville defender headed a free kick into his own net.

Milford United 4

C McCafferty 4 pen, 30; Hagan 44

Aileach 2

C Boyle 5, 57

Milford eased their way through to the quarter-finals of the Ulster Cup with a convincing win over Inishowen table toppers Aileach thanks to Christy McCafferty’s treble.

The home side flew out of the traps and took the lead when PJ Hagan was upended in the box by the Aileach keeper and McCafferty dispatched the penalty. Aileach equalised straight from the kick-off when the home defence fell asleep and Boyle nipped in at the back post. Milford re-took the lead when McCafferty tapped home from close range following a Darren McLaughlin corner and their third came when a free flowing move involving Curley, Casey and Duggan in midfield and then on to McCafferty who superbly released strike partner Hagan who dispatched to the top corner from 20 yards.

Aileach pulled a goal back on 57 minutes when poor marking from the Milford back line. McCafferty completed his hat-trick when he leaped like a salmon in the box to majestically meet a Cathal McGettigan corner and power it home.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Milford United Res 0

Gweedore Celtic Res 4

D McBride 25, J Sweeney 40, C Boyle 60, 72

In a top versus bottom clash Gweedore Celtic deservedly took the spoils against Milford United.

Dan McBride Sweeney finished well from 10 yards to put the away team one up. Chances were limited for both teams but it was Gweedore who went two up before the break when Milford failed to clear a corner and John Sweeney finished from six yards. The hosts were caught out with Cathal Boyle finishing well twice after the break.

  Glencar Celtic 3

S Hilley 10; A Doherty 45; D Scanlon 65

Erne Wanderers 1

E Cleary 75

A gutsy team performance saw Glencar Celtic grab all three points against Erne Wanderers and gain revenge for their Downtown Cup loss against the same side a week beforehand.

The home side got the ball rolling when Shane Hilley slotted home after good work from Declan Scanlon and Paddy Rafferty. Glencar made it two when centre half Antony Doherty headed home from a Garvin Grieve free-kick. Scanlon headed past Val Murray in the Erne goal to wrap the game up. Erne pulled a goal back when central midfielder Eamon Cleary scored.  

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Deele Harps 3

S Gallagher 62, 75; D McNulty 67

Tullyvinney Rovers 0

Deele entertained Tullyvinney and recorded back to back victories with consecutive clean sheets.

After a scoreless first half, Shane Gallagher punished some hesitant goalkeeping as he finished well to the bottom corner. Deele extended their lead five minutes later when Daniel McNulty drilled home from 10 yards. Deele completed the scoring when Gallagher rifled home from inside the box.

Ramelton Mariners 3

G Mackey 15, 20, P Brannigan 43

Glenea United Res 2

Ramelton Mariners maintained their position on top of Division Two as they were made to fight all the way by a determined Glenea side at Rab’s Park on Saturday.

Glenea opened the scoring when Sean McBride finished a throughball past Brian Hegarty in the Mariners goal. Mariners equalised when Gavin Mackay side footed home a Patrick Durning cross and they took the lead five minutes later when Mackay powered home a header from an Owen Hegarty free-kick. The Mariners kept pressing but were punished on the break when Glenea were awarded a penalty for handball in the box. Paudge McGee chipped the penalty home. Mariners regained the lead when Peter Brannigan was on hand to tap in another Patrick Durning cross.

Mulroy Celtic 4

JP Malley 30, 46, 70; J Nanny 60

Glenree United Res 1

Mulroy Celtic took the derby spoils at Triagh-a-Lough against neighbours Glenree United with the in-form JP Malley scoring a hat-trick.

Glenree dominated the first half and took a deserved lead after a free-kick caused confusion in the Mulroy defence. Mulroy grabbed an equaliser when Malley slotted home. Mulroy were a different side in the second half and Malley put them ahead. He then missed the chance to grab a hat-trick as Doherty saved a penalty. Johnny Nanny returning from injury made a second half appearance and duly chipped in with a fine goal. Doherty was once again beaten as Malley scored a hat-trick for the second game running.

Downtown Cup Group B

Fintown Harps AFC 1

D Gallagher 40

Castlefin Celtic Res 0

Fintown that went away with the valuable three points when they held on for a 1-0 win over Castlefin Celtic at Letterkenny’s Community Centre.

With five minutes left in the first half Stephen Molloy flicked the ball to Daragh Gallagher and he struck the ball into the back of the net. Ciaran Thompson in the Fintown goal pulled off a massive save to deny Castlefin an equaliser.

Downtown Cup Group C

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 7

C Gallagher 4, 50; J Gorman 26; K McMenamin 44, 86; A Doherty 66; D McGinley 70  

Donegal Town Res 1

A McNellis 37

Kilmacrennan Celtic had far too much for Donegal Town to maintain second place in the Downtown Cup Group C.

Cathal Gallagher latched onto a throughball to rifle past keeper Mark Brown from 18 yards to put Kilmacrennan on their way. The hosts struck again as Ryan McBrearty floated in a pinpoint freekick which James Gorman happily nodded home to claim a 2-0 advantage. Donegal Town scored a fine goal from Alex McNellis. Kevin McMenamin pulled the trigger to ensure a 3-1 advantage at the break.

Gallagher again nipped in to grab his second and Kilmac’s fourth. The fifth was claimed by Adrian Doherty who latched onto a clever Gorman pass. Darren McGinley added a sixth before McMenamin rounded off the scoring.

Downtown Cup Group D

Downtown United 3

E Blake 20; S Doherty 58; R Doherty 80

Cranford United Res 0

Downtown United had a good win over Cranford at Errigal College on Saturday.

The home team opening the scoring on 20 minutes when Eddie Blake bent his shot home from the edge of the box beyond the keeper’s reach and off a post to find the back of the net. The second half saw Downtown pressing hard to extend their lead and finally got through a stubborn Cranford defence on when Steven Doherty slotted home past the advancing keeper after a through ball from Blake. The third goal came from Redmond Doherty as he tapped home from six yards after a goal mouthscramble.