Premier Division race down to two?

WITH the top four playing one another in the Donegal League Premier Division it was Gweedore Celtic and Glenea United who stole a mark when they defeated Kilmacrennan Celtic and Milford United respectively.

WITH the top four playing one another in the Donegal League Premier Division it was Gweedore Celtic and Glenea United who stole a mark when they defeated Kilmacrennan Celtic and Milford United respectively.

Brian McCormick Premier Division

Milford United 1

P Curley (88)

Glenea United 2

D McGeever (22, 27 pen)

Milford United look to have blown any chance they had of winning the league with this defeat at home to Gweedore Celtic’s nearest challengers, Glenea United.

The visitors took the lead when they broke out of defence through Kevin Mulhern and Ryan McFadden, who played a sublime cross-field ball to Darren McGeever. He controlled well and beat Paul Shields before slotting home past Milford goalkeeper Caolan McGettigan, Glenea doubled their lead from the penalty spot, when McGeever was allegedly held back in the box and slotted home the spot kick himself. Milford pulled a goal back late on when Pauric Curley found the net from all of 40 yards.

Castlefin Celtic 1

S McGlinichey (60)

Lagan Harps 1

K Kelly (71)

With the top four playing one another in the Premier Division the teams in fifth and sixth shared the spoils at Parkview.

Trojan work from Castlefin Celtic’s Mark Lafferty led to Simon McGlinchey breaking the deadlock with a diving header finding the net following a free kick from Ronan Tourish. The urgency gathered among the Lagan team and their pressure paid off when Kevin Kelly ran across the edge of the Castlefin penalty area and unleashed a shot into the top right corner of the net.

Eany Celtic 4

B Rose (40), D Boyle (51, 70), E Gallagher (90)

Drumoghill 3

C Rodgers (7), M McCabe (15), L O’Donnell (70 pen)

Only a second win of the season for Eany but the 4-3 success over Drumoghill FC means they are out of the relegation zone thanks to Declan Boyle’s brace.

The visitors capitalised on a shaky start by Eany and were two up when Carlos Rodgers netted and Marty McCabe extended their lead. Barry Rose opened Eany’s account for the day when Gavin Maguire found him in the box with a fine pass.

The home side maintained the pressure in the second half and got back on terms when Boyle scored a fine header. Drumoghill went back in front through a Liam O’ Donnell penalty.

Eany fought back again and Boyle was on hand to score Eany’s third from a free-kick. A draw was on the cards but Eany battled to the end and collected all three points with Eddie Gallagher finding space in the box to score the winner.

Dunkineely Celtic 2

A Ward (62), A Nesbitt (70)  

Lifford Celtic 2

R Porter (32), P Crossan (60)

A 2-2 draw between the bottom two of Dunkineely Celtic and Lifford Celtic will not satisfy either side as they both battle for points in the relegation struggle.

Lifford began to get a grip in midfield after the first quarter and took the lead when Kevin McBrearty put in a great cross from the left and Ross Porter rose highest to head home. The visitors doubled their lead when Padjo Crossan flicked home a Kevin Mc Brearty corner.

This seemed to bring the home side to life and they responded when Adrian Ward scored. Dunkineely got a second on 70 minutes when Adrian Nesbitt was put through by Alastair Rodger and he scored with an angled shot.

Milford Inn Hotel Division One

St Catherine’s 0

Curragh Athletic 1

S Barclay (49)

League leaders St Catherine’s were surprisingly beaten by third-paced Curragh Athletic at Emerald Park on Sunday.

Curragh created a couple of half chances that led to nothing and the scores remained level at half time. Curragh broke four minutes into the second half for the only goal of the game. They made it into the Saints box and cut the ball back to Shane Barclay, who hit a sweet shot that went into the bottom corner.

Raphoe Town 0

Arranmore United 0

Raphoe Town welcomed Arranmore to the Deele College grounds but the visitors headed home the happier of the two after they held firm to take a well deserved point.

The first half was all Raphoe with flying winger Paddy Gallagher causing all sorts of problems for the away side. Raphoe’s Jamie Gallagher was doing all the work up front and on three occasions just as the goal was at his mercy he was stopped by some great defending. The second half started as the first finished with Raphoe on top and Emmett Kelly went close on a few occasions but just didn’t have the shooting boots with him.

Donegal Town 0

Gweedore United 0

It was honours evens at the Hospital Field in a closely contested game between Donegal Town and Gweedore United.

A goalless first half in which the away side had the best of the chances seen the sides go in even at the break. Donegal began to dominate in the second half and created some good scoring opportunities. Gweedore always remained a threat on the break. One goal looked like it was always going to win it, and the chance of the match fell to Joe McIntyre, when the keeper excellently saved his effort from an in-swinging cross by Ryan Earley.

Dunlewey Celtic 4

B McGeady (8), L Gallagher (65), D Cannon (68), M McCausland (80)

Convoy Arsenal 2

M Melaugh (4), S Sweeney (48)

Convoy Arsenal remain rooted to the bottom of Division One after their 4-2 loss against Dunlewey Celtic in a game reversed to Orchard Park.

The table croppers took the lead when good work from Ryan Carlin set up Mickey Melaugh, who converted with a looping shot over the ‘keeper.  Dunlewey equalised with a rasping shot from Brendan McGeady after a corner was only half cleared by Convoy.  Three minutes into the second half Convoy scored their second with a 30-yard screamer from Sean Sweeney. But again Dunleweey again when Lorcan Gallagher ghosted in behind the home defence for a tap in.

Three minutes later Dunlewey were in front when the Convoy defence stood still to let Daniel Cannon run through to score an easy chance. Dunlewey quickly scored again when a deep ball over the top was converted by Michael McCausland.

CT Ball Division Two

Cranford United 3

S McElwaine (50), A Lynch (70), J McFadden (90)

Drumbar United 2

Nixon (20), H McPartland (59)

Cranford United kept their noses in front in Division Two when they came out on top of a tightly contested match against Drumbar United with a last gasp winner through James McFadden.

rumbar took the lead after a mix-up in the Cranford defence and Ciaran Nixon scored from close range. Cranford Started the second half much better got their reward with a neat finish from Shaun McElwaine. 

Drumbar responded well and went ahead with neat finish from Hugh McPartland from inside the box. Then Cranford got on level terms with a header from Arthur Lynch into the roof of the net before McFadden broke from the halfway line and finished well in stoppage time.

Letterbarrow Celtic 1

S Graham (70 pen)

Keadue Rovers 3

D Boyle (15), S Boyle (40, 46)

Keadue Rovers reinforced their second place in the standings with a 3-1 win at Letterbarrow Celtic.

They took the lead when Dolty Boyle headed home after a fine cross from the right. It was two when Sean Boyle capitalised on a defensive slip to slot the ball into the back of the net. Boyle scored his second immediately after the restart when a fine break caught the Letterbarrow defence cold. Letterbarrow battled hard and pulled a goal back when Stephen Graham scored from the spot after a hand ball.

Copany Rovers 4

M McGrath (16), P Patton (54), own goal (59), D Harron (85)

Ballybofey United 3

A Patton (10, 71), C Doherty (47)

Ballybofey United suffered their second setback in as many weeks in their bid to win for promotion with this 4-3 defeat to an understrength Copany side.

Alan Patton put Ballybofey in front but. Marty McGrath equalised. Copany’s Thomas Given and Ballybofey’s Gary Dunnion were both sent off on 20 minutes. Conor Doherty headed home at the back post two minutes after the re-start to give Ballybofy the lead.

Paul Patton scored Copany’s second and it was David Graham’s cross again five minutes later that caused the Ballybofey defence more problems with the ball coming off their left back at the back post for an own goal.

Patton levelled the scoresagain when he ran onto a through ball and slid it home but it was Copany who stunned the table toppers with the winner five minutes from the end when David Harron found himself eight yards out and cooly picked his spot and shot low into the corner.

Glenree United 3

J Doherty (30), D Coyle (60), P McGroddy (70)

Bonagee United 1

P McMonagle (55)

All the goals came in the second half as Glenree United got the better of Bonagee United on Sunday.

John Doherty’s skill and wisdom to opened the scoring but Bonagee replied quickly with a great effort from Paul McMonagle on 55 minutes.

As the home side settled the super fast winger, number 10, Damien Coyle scored a blistering effort and then a sublime strike from Pat McGroddy seemed to make time stand still as it floated to the top corner in postage stamp style.

Whitestrand United 0

Kerrykeel 1

S Friel (70)

Kerrykeel came out on top in this local derby against Whitestrand in very windy conditions in Whitestrand Park.

The visitors got what proved to be the winner on 70 minutes when Seamie ‘Coshia’ Friel found room down the right wing and crossed for young Seamie ‘Nannie’ Friel, who showed his quality by finding the bottom corner to give the visitors the lead.

The home side pushed hard to get level and in stoppage time thought they had grabbed a point when Andrew Friel’s shot looked destined for the bottom corner Mark McConigley somehow got down to push the ball around the post with a top quality save.

Willie Duffy Saturday Division One

Dunfanaghy Town 1

P McFadden (43)

Castlefin Celtic 3

J Bogle (15), B Tourish (49, 65)

Castlefin made the most of the blustery conditions to post a good 3-1 away win at Dunfanaghy Town.

The away team got in front with Johnny Bogle bagging the goal but Dunfanaghy equalised before half-time as Patrick McFadden scored for the second game running by nodding the ball home from a corner. Castlefin took the lead early in the second half as Barry Tourish scored from just outside the box.

He made the game safe by coolly slotting the ball into the corner of the Dunfanaghy net.

Glencar Celtic 2

S Hilley (12), S Sullivan (56)

Kilmacrennan Celtic Res 2

M McLaughlin (65), S O’Donnell (75)

With both teams looking to close in on the leaders Gweedore Celtic, there was to be no winner at Letterkenny Community Centre.

Good work by Shane Sullivan played in the on fire Shane Hilley, who fired low into the Kilmacrennan goal. Sullivan made it two after quality work from Hilley and Declan Scanlon.

But the away team were back in it when Mickey McLaughlin pounced on a loose ball to fire home . And the Kilmac men drew level on seventy seven minutes after a goalmouth scramble Shaun O’Donnell popping up at the back post to level things up.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Ramelton Mariners 2

P Durning (15), D Bunchanan (86)

Cranford United Res 1

K Logue (79 pen)

Front-runners Ramelton Mariners went three points clear at the top of the Glencar Inn Division Two with this hard fought victory over a determined Cranford side at Rabs Park.

Patrick Durning opened the scoring for the Mariners when he flicked on a Damien Buchanan free kick. Cranford slowly started to exert their own pressure and were rewarded when they were awarded a spot kick for a hand ball. Kieran Logue gave Brian Hegarty in the Mariners goal no chance with his well taken penalty.

Mariners immediately pressed and just as they thought they had to be content with a share of the spoils up popped Damien Buchanan to unleash a superb 25-yard shot into the bottom corner.

Glenea United Res 1

M Maguire (42)

Deele Harps 0

Glenea continued their push for promotion with a hard earned three points against Deele Harps.

The home team opened the scoring when the away defence failed to deal with another free kick and Martin Maguire reacted quickest to drill the ball home.

Deele pushed hard for an equaliser but were unable to create any clear chances and Glenea, on a number of occasions, almost caught them out on the break.

Downtown United 2  

J Baker (5), G Peoples (70)

Glenree United Res 1

M Buchanan (33 pen)

This game played in poor conditions at Errigal College saw Downtown United come away with three points after a hard fought battle with Glenree United.

Downtown started well and opened the scoring when Joe Baker flicked the ball home from six yards. Glenree were awarded a penalty on half hour when a corner caused mayhem in the box with the ball moving in the wind and a Downtown player was adjudged to have handled.

The resulting penalty was well saved by Thomas McLaughlin in the Downtown goal but they failed to clear and Glenree were awarded another penalty after a foul in the area. Mickey Buchanan shot to the bottom right hand corner just beyond the keeper’s reach. Gio Peoples stepped up to curl the winner from a free-kick.