Glencar go eight clear in Division One

Glencar go eight clear in Division One
With three games falling to the weather, including two Downtown Cup Quarter Finals, it meant that Saturday saw only five matches played in the Donegal Junior League.

With three games falling to the weather, including two Downtown Cup Quarter Finals, it meant that Saturday saw only five matches played in the Donegal Junior League.

With Orchard and Keadue Rovers Reserves pencilled in for Cup action both Glencar Celtic and Strand Rovers had opportunities to go clear at the top of their respective Divisions.

In Division One Glencar travelled to Fintown and gained the points that now see them sit eight points above Orchard who do have a game in hand.

It is tighter however in Division Two where Strand Rovers’ victory over Drumoghill F.C. Reserves saw them go three ahead of neighbours Keadue but the Central Park outfit have two matches in hand over their Maghery rivals. Ramelton Mariners kept in touch with the leading bunch with a 3-0 victory at the New Camp over Curragh Athletic Reserves. Elsewhere Erne Wanderers are the first side through to the semi-finals of the Cup having defeated Mulroy Celtic and St. Catherine’s progressed to the Quarter Final stage of the competition by defeating fellow South Donegal side Drumbar F.C.

Old Orchard Saturday Division One

Fintown Harps 1

Glencar Celtic 5

Glencar Celtic made the trip to Fintown and returned to Letterkenny with three points in the bag. Marty Brogan got their first on 25 minutes, a goal that saw them in the lead at the break.

Fintown responded early in the second half and equalised when a shot, which took a deflection, deceived the Glencar Keeper. Cathal Gallagher put Glencar back into the lead before Seany Houston made it 3-1.

Two more strikes from Cathal Gallagher put a gloss to the final scoreline at Pairc Achla. Glencar remain as pacesetter in Division One.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Strand Rovers 1

Drumoghill F.C. Res 0

Drumoghill decided to play against the strong wind in the first half but the way it was blowing it didn’t seem to favour anyone. Strand pushed hard and had numerous chances but the visitors seemed to be keeping them at bay until Darragh Hanlon stuck one away on 30 minutes.

Good work from Doalty Boyle on the wing created chance after chance but the wind rather than aid Strand seemed to hinder them and it was 1-0 at the break. Drumoghill had the wind behind them in the second half but it was Strand that seemed to play the better football. Gerard Mc Shea broke from right back and skipped through the defence only to balloon the ball over the bar, another chance fell to Cathal Boyle and he skipped past the keeper but his shot was blown off the line by the wind.

Best for Strand were Mark Boyle and Cathal Boyle with a good team performance from Drumoghill.

Ramelton Mariners 3

Curragh Athletic Res 0

In a game that was switched to the Curragh Ramelton Mariners ran out 3-0 winners. The Ramelton men took the lead on 29 minutes when the evergreen Raymond Friel took the ball wide and cut back in before sending a real peach into the top corner.

Curragh had a few chances to draw level but the woodwork and an inspired performance from the Ramelton keeper kept it at 1-0. With only four minutes to go until the interval Kevin Coyle slid the ball up the line for Corey Mc Cahill who rounded the keeper and taped in for 2-0.

Curragh started strong in the second half but could not find the chance needed to get on the score sheet. Mariners made it 3-0 with 15 minutes to go when Mc Cahill turned provider for Packie Durning who nodded home from 6yards with his first headed goal in five years. The Mariners’ defence held strong under some late pressure. Joe Coyle and Kevin Mc Cahill were best for the Ramelton men. Team effort from a determined Curragh side.

Downtown Cup

St. Catherine’s Res 1

Drumbar F.C. 0

St. Catherine’s hosted Drumbar in the final group game of the Downtown Cup. Drumbar had the first real chance mid-way through the first half but their good play came to nothing.

They then had a shot from the edge of the box which was saved by the St. Catherine’s’ keeper Brian Smith. Donal Mc Guire then had a shot saved by the Drumbar keeper. It remained scoreless at half time. Drumbar looked to break the deadlock after the interval and they had a couple of chances to score but they could not get passed the St. Catherine’s’ defence.

Midway through the second half St. Catherine’s won a corner. Stephen Leslie took the corner and the ball went straight into the net to give them the lead. Drumbar upped the pressure on the Saints to try to get back on level terms but they just could not find the goal needed. St. Catherine’s held out for victory and progressed to the quarter finals of the Downtown Cup.

Downtown Cup Quarter Finals

Erne Wanderers 4

Mulroy Celtic 0

Erne Wanderers hosted Mulroy Celtic in this Downtown Cup Quarter Final in blustery conditions at the Lakeside. It turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax as Mulroy travelled very light with them only able to field 10 players as they had a host of players unavailable through one thing or another.

The game was played mostly in Mulroy’s half and the hosts created numerous chances but found Shane Friel hard to pass. The first goal didn’t arrive until the 25th minute through Alan Russell just inside the box. The second came from Ryan O’ Brien from the edge of the box with a fierce drive that got a deflection on route. The second half was much the same.

Erne got their third after a great through ball from Mulligan to Mark Dorrian and he clinically dispatched it past Friel. The fourth came with ten minutes remaining through left back Tom Hope when he broke the last line of defence and slipped the ball under the keeper.

Team effort from Wanderers and also the visitors who battled well with an under-strength side. Referee: Andrew Mullin.