Donegal Soccer League round-up

Donegal Soccer League round-up
The FAI Junior Cup took centre stage in Donegal at the weekend with games on Friday night and Sunday. Kilmacrennan Celtic were the big scores, hitting Greencastle FC for seven. Glengad also hit seven, while Cavan Town got the verdict over Bonagee in an 11 game thriller.

The FAI Junior Cup took centre stage in Donegal at the weekend with games on Friday night and Sunday. Kilmacrennan Celtic were the big scores, hitting Greencastle FC for seven. Glengad also hit seven, while Cavan Town got the verdict over Bonagee in an 11 game thriller.

FAI Junior Cup

Milford United 1 Gweedore Celtic 2

Milford United exited the FAI Junior Cup with a defeat at the hands of in-form team Gweedore Celtic after extras time at Moyle View Park, Milford. Milford played some good football and dominated the game from

early on but failed to turn possession and chances into goals. Gweedore took the lead on 40 minutes when Johnny Logue fouled Jaydee in the box and Shane Porter slotted home the penalty. Milford got a deserved equaliser on 80 minutes when Adam Serrinha headed home from close range. Milford had chances to win the game with Michael Mc Kelvey making a great save from Joey Cullen, Merritt and Mc Gettigan having efforts

just wide and Merritt very unlucky with efforts off the cross bar and post. The all important winner came from the foot of Paddy Mc Geady at the start of the 2nd period of extra time. Milford pushed for an equaliser but it was not to be their day. Best for Milford was the outstanding Joey Cullen. Best for Gweedore was Paul Rua McBride at the centre of defence. Referee Marty Quinn

Greencastle F.C. 2 Kilmacrennan Celtic 7

An entertaining first half of football between two good sides Greencastle FC and Kilmacrennan Celtic who were competing in the first round of the FAI junior cup. There were goals galore. Kilmacrennan took the lead on the 5th minute when Christopher Dillon beat two defenders before scoring past Tom Heuston in the Greencastle goal. Kilmac doubled their lead on the 7th minute through a penalty, taken by Christy Conaghan. Three minutes later, Greencastle got back in the game when Danny Murphy headed home a Gerry Gill corner. Greencastle completed their comeback when Gerry Gill fired home from a Michael Barr cross. Kilmac regained their lead on the 38th minute when Aidan Friel headed home a Decky O’ Donnell cross. Christopher Dillon completed the scoring in the first half when he fired home from a John Sandilands through ball. Greencastle tried to come back in the second half but Jason Hegarty pulled off a few great saves to keep Kilmac in front. Kilmacrennan furthered their lead in the 56th minute when Aidan Sweeney was fouled in the box and awarded a penalty, again scored by Christy Conaghan. Ten minutes later Christy scored again for Kilmac after good play from Michael McLaughlin. One minute later Christy scored again when he cut in from the left and finished low to the net. That finished the game leaving the scoreline 7-2 to Kilmacrennan. Best for Kilmacrennan: Christy Conaghan and Christopher Dillon. Best for Greencastle: Gerry Gill. Referee: Thomas Mc Aree

Cappry Rovers 3 Cavan Celtic 0

Cappry Rovers are through to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup. A 3-0 victory was recorded from their fixture against Cavan Celtic at Cappry Park on Sunday last.

Rathmullan Celtic 2 Killylough F.C. 0

Dara Patton’s phenomenal Hoops continued their winning ways with a comprehensive and comfortable two goal win over Monaghan visitors Killylough on Saturday with Kevin Doran scoring a brace with strikes in either half to send Rathmullan Celtic on the verge of the national draw of the FAI Junior Cup with just one round standing in their way. The Hoops dictated the game from the off. The visitors had no real shot on target in either half but went close on 25 minutes when defender John Mc Anee saw his header from inside the area go over Mark Gallagher’s crossbar. The Hoops broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when influential striker Eamonn Sheridan set Eoin Sheridan free on the wing and he crossed into the unmarked Doran inside the area. The second half saw the Hoops continue their dominance. With the Hoops in total dominance the game was over as a contest on 80 minutes when Doran netted his second of the afternoon after being set up by Eamonn Sheridan. Referee: Paddy Martin

Drumoghill F.C. 3 Keadue Rovers 1

Drumoghill advanced to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup with this controlled performance against Keadue Rovers, thanks to a second half double strike from Paddy Rafferty. The striker notched a couple of trademark strikes to secure victory when the first half had ended level at 1-1, after Keadue’s Sean Boyle had cancelled out Paddy Collins opener. Drumoghill were the dominant team throughout a game that was always in the balance. Rafferty’s clincher (to make the score 3-1) only arrived in the 80th minute and the visitors were very much in the game until then, despite the home team’s dominance. Gary Gallagher and Sean Boyle made sure that the Drumoghill defenders knew they were in the game and unsettled them at every opportunity. Referee: Mick Lagan.

Ballybofey United 2 Arranmore United 4

Arranmore sailed into Ballybofey on Friday evening and by nightfall they had wrenched a ticket to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup from the hands of their hosts. The surface and lights of the Finn Valley Complex was a scene befitting of any venue in the country. Ballybofey started off well, somewhat flamboyant in their play but it was Arranmore who took their early chances. After falling two behind Ballybofey grabbed a lifeline to hold at the interval however they fared no better in the second period and will have time now to concentrate on their League ambitions without the FAI Junior Cup causing them any distractions.

Castlefin Celtic 0 Glengad F.C. 7

Glengad put seven past Castlefin in a one sided game at Park View. Castlefin had the opening chance of the game with a strike from JP Malley hitting the bar. Glengad took the lead after 10 minutes, through Terence Doherty’s great strike from outside the box. Doherty and Nigel Mc Monagle then force Castlefin keeper Gary Mc Croary into two excellent saves. Glengad doubled their lead in the 24th minute, Gary Mc Croary saved Patrick Mc Dermott’s strike but the rebound fell to Charlie Byrne who’s strike beat the keeper into the top corner from 20 yards. Glengad made it three straight after half time when Terence Doherty got his second. Glengad grabbed another on 62 minutes, a through ball beat the Castlefin defence and Nigel Mc Monagle tapped home from 4 yards. Terence Doherty completed his hat-trick and added Glengad’s 5th when he found himself free at the back post to tap in. Michael Byrne got Glengad’s 6th in the 67th minute with a header from a corner. Patrick McDermott finished the scoring on the 87th minute when he got Glengad’s 7th, McDermott went one on one with Castlefin keeper Mc Croary who stopped the first shot but McDermott made no mistake with the rebound. Referee: Ed Moore. Best for Castlefin: Gary Mc Croary. Best for Glengad: Team Performance

Kildrum Tigers 4 Clones Town 4

(Clones Town won on penalties)

The Tigers took the lead after 2 minutes when Laird tapped in at the back post. Clones levelled on 5 minutes when poor defending was punished. The Tigers took the lead on 17minutes when Bovaird headed home from 10 yards. The Tigers got their 3rd on 50minutes when Colhoun was quickest to react to a rebound. Paul Toland got the 4th when he headed home a Coll free kick. The Tigers then decided to go into self-destruct mode. They gave away a penalty which was converted and two mix-ups in defence brought Clones back level. The Tigers pushed forward in extra time but couldn’t get the winner. Kildrum missed three of their first four penalties and went out of the Cup..

Cavan Celtic 6 Bonagee United 5

Deele Harps 1 Illies Celtic 1

(Deele Harps won 5-3 on penalties)

Deele welcomed the Inishowen Premier side to The Athletic Grounds on a perfect day for football. It was a tight encounter in the opening exchanges with defences on top. Half chances were created at both ends but the first half ended scoreless. Illies started the second half the brightest and took the lead on 47 minutes when William McLaughlin hooked home from 6 yards following a scramble from a corner. The home side upped their game and pushed hard with Gary Wilson-Mc Girr and Shane Gallagher causing the Illies defence problems. It was that combination again on 65 minutes that led to the equaliser, Gary Wilson-Mc Girr beating two defenders down the right before releasing Shane Gallagher who fired home from a tight angle. Deele looked more likely to find the winner but extra time ensued. Neither side could find a breakthrough and the game was decided by penalties. Deele scored all 5 penalties with Lynch , Lafferty, Wilson-Mc Girr, Crawford and Gallagher with perfect spot kicks and Chris Roulstone saving well to send Deele through. Referee: Con McLaughlin.

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 0 Convoy Arsenal 3

Convoy left Rab’s Park on Sunday with all three points and they fully deserved their win as Kerrykeel put in a poor home performance. Both sides started well but it was Convoy who took their chances when James Brolly finished well after great work from Declan Proctor. They got their second on the stroke of half time, this time Lee Guthrie finished well after Kerrykeel fell asleep after conceding a free kick. Kerrykeel went close on a few occasions in the second half but young Chris O’Donnell was in fine form in goals for Convoy. Kerrykeel were reduced to ten men on sixty five minutes when Shane Sandilands was shown the red after taking down Ryan Carlin. Carlin stepped up to fire home from the penalty spot. Team performances from both teams.

Referee: Michael Mc Fadden

CT Ball Division Two

Whitestrand United 7 Eany Celtic 1

On a bright crisp Autumn’s afternoon Whitestrand United took on Eany Celtic at Mc Garvey Park in perfect footballing conditions. Whitestrand started the game on the front foot and it wasn’t long before they took the lead. A good cross from the left was finished well by Shane Mc Glade. Whitestrand continued attacking and Sean Paul Gallagher hit the post. The second goal came when Shane Mc Glade smashed it home after a goal mouth scramble. Mc Glade finished his hat-trick off when he placed home a well struck shot. Eany got one back when a cross came in from a corner and it was headed home. Whitestrand went 4-1 up through a well worked goal. The second half started in the same vein as the first and Mc Glade added his fourth when he scored with another well placed shot. Ryan Mc Cleary then crossed and the ball deflected in off an Eany Celtic defender and the final goal came when Kevin Loughrey broke through and slotted the ball past the keeper for 7-1. Best for Whitestrand were Shane Mc Glade and Kevin Loughrey.

Letterbarrow Celtic 2 Glenree United 2

The opening to this game was played at a frantic pace and it was the home side that took the lead after seven minutes when James Mc Groary hit a rocket of a shot to the top corner from thirty yards after good work from John Corley. Both sides had good chances after that but it was Glenree who drew level when Karl McElhinney headed into the corner after a defensive mix up on forty five minutes. Glenree were denied a second on fifty minutes when James McDaid made a great stop from close range. Letterbarrow took the lead on seventy minutes when Gerard Mc Brearty played Edward Gallagher in and he kept a cool head to hammer into the roof of the net after rounding the last defender. Glenree equalised three minutes later when Colin Gallagher broke the offside trap and lobbed the advancing keeper. Letterbarrow had a chance to snatch all three points late on but John Corley saw his effort just over the crossbar. Best for Letterbarrow were James Mc Groary and James McDaid. Glenree keep their unbeaten record intact.

Erne Wanderers 8 Copany Rovers 0

Erne Wanderers hosted local rivals Copany Rovers on Friday night at the Lakeside Centre and ran out very comfortable winners by eight goals to nil. The scoring started on eight minutes when David Dolan crossed from the right and the ball found Jamie Mc Donald six yards out who with his left foot found the bottom corner. The second came on thirteen minutes when a huge punt from Peter Boyle resulted in Seamus Kane controlling on the edge of the box and with his back to goal he deftly lofted it over Doherty in the Rovers’ net. It was all Erne at this point and a great flowing move down the right saw the ball move inside to Patton and he split the defence for Mc Donald to shoot into the top of the net for a fine finish. On the half hour mark Kane got his second with a sublime left foot finish low under the keeper. Phillip Patton then broke through from halfway and Kane played him through and he clinically dispatched the ball under the advancing Doherty to make it five on the stroke of halftime. The second half was all one way traffic and David Dorrian went on a mazy run and beat four or five players and found the net from twelve yards out with his left foot on sixty three minutes. David Dolan got in on the action on sixty minutes with a neat finish under the keeper and on the final whistle an unfortunate own0goal finished it all off after good work from Mc Donald. Excellent display from the hosts with a good team performance while Copany tried hard all game and to their credit never stopped until the final whistle. Referee: John Mc Glanaghey.