Orchard United hit five in Saturday Donegal League

Orchard United hit five in Saturday Donegal League
Orchard United were the big scorers in the Saturday League as they hit five against Mulroy Celtic in the Old Orchard Inn Divisionl.

Orchard United were the big scorers in the Saturday League as they hit five against Mulroy Celtic in the Old Orchard Inn Divisionl.

In the Reserve League St. Catherines and Glenea United were involved in a thriller with Glenea edging it 3-2.

Old Orchard Saturday Division

Glencar Celtic 1

Arranmore United 3

Glencar hosted Arranmore in their first home game and took an early lead with a free kick hammered home by Garvin Grieve. Glencar good not find that second goal and Arranmore equalised with a great free kick from Gavin Mc Glanaghey. He doubled his tally from the penalty spot and his brother Chris scored in the last few minutes to seal the points.

Glencar was served best by Chick Mc Laughlin and Graham Cullen and Arranmore produced a team performance on the day.

Strand Rovers 3

Fintown Harps AFC 0

Strand Rovers welcomed Fintown to Maghery this weekend with a point to prove after a dismal performance last weekend. Conditions were good and Strand started very brightly and were rewarded after only 5 minutes when a cross was headed home by Brendan Glackin. Strand continued to press and were once again rewarded when Gerard Diver cracked home a fantastic free kick after 15 minutes to make it 2-0.

All credit to Fintown who tried to get back into it and held off any further advances to leave it 2-0 at the break. The second half was much of the same with Strand applying the pressure and they went 3 up 5 minutes in with a goal created and finished off by Paddy Glackin.

Three up and Strand pulled the foot off the gas a wee bit and keeper Kevin Mc Govern had to pull off a wonder save to deny Fintown a goal. Strand forced numerous corners and brought saves from the Fintown keeper but did not add to their tally

Orchard F.C. 5

Mulroy Celtic 0

Orchard continued their good start to the season with a 5-0 victory over a Mulroy team missing a few players because of GAA commitments. A well worked short corner brought Orchard’s first of the day with Micheal Doherty finishing well from inside the box.

Mulroy almost got back on level terms when they went straight up the pitch but the Mulroy striker was thwarted by an excellent save from Orchard keeper Tommy McLaughlin. Doherty doubled Orchard’s lead when his well struck shot from 25 yards out took a deflection that gave the Mulroy keeper no chance. The second half started slowly with neither team creating many chances of note in the first 20 minutes.

After 70 minutes Niall Bonner almost made it three when his fiercely stuck shot came crashing off the bar. Five minutes later and Orchard did have their third when Bonner’s deep cross was expertly headed over the keeper by Redmond Doherty.

Orchard finished the game as a contest two minutes later when a fine through ball from Bonner found Gavin Mc Brearty in space and he calmly slotted home to the bottom corner. Bonner got on the score sheet late on after exchanging passes with Redmond Doherty in the box to finish from close range. Best for Mulroy was Mark Griffin who was lively throughout. Good team performance from Orchard. Referee Joe McHugh

Drumkeen United 2

Drumbar F.C. 0

Drumkeen got their League Campaign off to winning start but this was a hard earned victory against Drumbar who were always in the game and the home team only made sure of the points with a second goal near the end. he Home team started brightly but the visitors had the first real chance of the game when a Conrad Clarke effort from the edge of the box forced a great save from Ciaran Bonner.

Shortly afterwards Drumkeen took the lead. Rory Gildea took a free kick on the left side on the halfway line which found Aaron Doherty out wide on the right wing. His cross into the middle was turned home by Anthony Browne. After taking the lead the home team seemed to lose their way a bit and Drumbar gradually worked their way into the game. The visitors finished the half strongly and began the second half in similar fashion without managing to score an equaliser. Drumkeen were under pressure at times but they were still having chances as play swung from end to end.

Peter McNamee who came on at half time was denied several times by the Drumbar ‘keeper and Anthony Browne had a couple of chances. At the other end Conrad Clarke had a few chances for Drumbar which he failed to convert.

As the game was drawing to a close the home team were holding on but with only a one goal lead it was going to be a difficult last few minutes. Drumkeen made the points secure towards the end when Peter McNamee finally got the better of the Drumbar keeper as he scored a second goal to ease the home nerves. This will not go down as a classic but both teams tried hard and there was some nice football on display at times. A good team effort from both teams. Referee: Ed Moore.

Glencar Inn Saturday Reserve Div

Erne Wanderers Res 0

Drumoghill F.C. Res 1

Drumoghill took an early lead with their first chance of the game on 10 minutes, the striker chipping it nicely over O’Brien in the Wanderers’ goal. Erne had plenty of chances before and after the goal to get on the score sheet with Dan Warnock and Luke Toland both coming close. Although found sleeping for the goal Wanderers straightened up and dealt well with the bombardment of long balls over the top and continued to play football but failed to take any of their chances. Both teams had chances late on.

St. Catherines Res 2

Glenea United Res 3

St. Catherines hosted Glenea United in Emerald Park in perfect conditions. The away team started brightest and dominated possession for the first ten minutes. St. Catherines opened the scoring through Barry Cannon when he found himself through on the keeper after a defensive mistake and he slotted to the back of the net.

St. Catherines had a good chance to add to their lead before half time but Stevie Anderson missed from close range with a header. St. Catherines got their second in the 60th minute when Barry Cannon got his second of the game. Kevin Doohan scored with a tap in from a corner on 70 minutes and Padraig McGee got Glenea on level terms on 78 minutes from the penalty spot.

Paul McFadden then hit the post for St. Catherines but Glenea wrapped up the points in the last minute when Kieran Mc Geady found the bottom corner with a shot from the edge of the box. Best for St. Catherines were Stephen Leslie and Barry Cannon and it was a good team display from Glenea.

Milford United Res 1

Cappry Rovers Res 1

Milford welcomed Cappry to Moyle View Park for their first home league game of the season. Cappry took an early lead in the 5th minute after a poor clearance from Milford’s goalie landed straight to Cappry’s striker who made no mistake in placing it into the bottom corner. Milford grew into the game and got a deserved equaliser in the 35th minute.

Brendan Murray combined well with Ciaran Blaney down the right wing with Blaney crossing for Ethan O’ Donnell who swivelled smartly before firing home. Both teams had chances to win it in the second half with JJ Fleming seeing a lobbed effort just sail over Cappry’s bar, and Cappry missing their own one on one with Milford’s goalie pulling off a smart save. A draw was a fair result after a good team effort from both teams. Referee: Keith Ferry

Keadue Rovers Res 1

Castlefin Celtic Res 1

A hard fought game in Keadue saw both teams share the points. A quiet first half saw neither side create much. Conor Dalton had Castlefin’s best chance after 30 minutes forcing Keadue keeper Ben Boyle into a good save. Castlefin took the lead after 55 minutes when David Stewart scored a header from a corner at the back post.

Keadue equalised on 64th minute from a free kick, which Shaun ‘Yank’ Boyle finished from 4 yards. Referee: James Malseed Best for Keadue: Ben Boyle

Curragh Athletic Res 2

Glenree United Res 1

With just 9 minutes on the clock Simon Cromie cut in from the wing received Michael Kearney’s pass, beat the full back and placed the ball past the visitor’s keeper, unfortunately for the Curragh it rebounded back off the post and was cleared away.

On 54minutes, after a short spell of Curragh pressure, the ball was lost to Mc Laughlin who drove forward only to be met by the out rushing Curragh keeper Jason Woods. McLaughlin got there first and Woods clattered into him whilst trying to clear the ball. Red card brandished and penalty awarded. Up stepped John Doherty putting Glenree 1-0 up against the flow of play.

With ten men you’d have thought the Curragh would crumble, not to be though. Paddy Cassidy crossed into the box where a hand-ball presented Curragh with a penalty. Up stepped Gary Heaney to finally get the goal he deserved on 67minutes. A winner did come eventually when James Sweeney scored for the home side.

Best for Curragh: All round team performance. Best for Erne: Martin McLaughlin. Referee: Dessie McLaughlin