Glenea and St. Catherine’s share spoils in big game in Donegal League

Glenea and St. Catherine’s share spoils in big game in Donegal League
There were plenty of goals in the Donegal League on Sunday in all divisions. In the top flight Glenea United and St. Catherine’s shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

There were plenty of goals in the Donegal League on Sunday in all divisions. In the top flight Glenea United and St. Catherine’s shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

In the CT Ball Division Two, the big scorers were Erne Wanderers who hit Eany Celtic for seven.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Cappry Rovers 1

Gweedore Celtic 4

Gweedore Celtic went away with the three points from Cappry Park. In the first half both teams played some good football with both teams creating chances. Cappry took the lead in the thirty third minute when the Gweedore keeper could only parry a shot from Aaron Kelly and the ball fell to Stephen Carr who drilled it to the net from ten yards.

The visitors went in search of the equaliser and were rewarded when they were awarded a penalty in the thirty sixth minute and Shane Porter scored from the spot. Gweedore went in front in the forty sixth minute when a shot was parried by Eoghan Gallen and it fell to Jay Dee and he scored from close range.

There was more trouble for Cappry in the 55th minute when Jamie Boyle scored to the bottom of the net with a shot. Tommy Diver scored Gweedore’s fourth goal in the sixty seventh minute with a header following a free kick. Cappry pushed forward looking to get goals back but to no avail. Team Performance from Cappry.

Shane Porter and Ryan Kelly were best for Gweedore. Referee: Paddy Duffy.

Castlefin Celtic 3

Milford United 1

Milford began the half brightly taking the lead after 10 minutes when Kyle Black found himself free at the back post to tap in. Castlefin equalised 5 minutes later, a Barry Tourish cross found Ronan Tourish who finished into the top corner.

Castlefin had a great chance to take the lead before the break, PJ Mc Menamin forcing the Milford keeper into an excellent save. Castlefin took the lead early in the second half when JP Malley rounded the keeper to slot home on 55 minutes. JP Malley got his second and Castlefin’s third on 62 minutes, Malley’s free kick made its way through a crowded Milford box to hit the back post and go in.

Castlefin kept the pressure on for the rest of the game with Ronan and Barry Tourish coming close. Referee: Patrick Martin. Best for Castlefin: Team Performance. Best for Milford: Kyle Black

Glenea United 1

St. Catherine’s 1

In a hard fought game both sides had to settle for a point. In the 1st half St Catherine’s played with the elements but found it hard to create any clear chances while the home side were also finding it difficult to create anything.

The away side opened the scoring on 23 minutes when Glenea failed to clear a corner properly and it broke to the edge of the box where it was hammered back past Joe Coll. Glenea almost equalised on 35 minutes when Darren Mc Geever’s effort from 35 yards almost caught out the away keeper but it just sailed wide of the post.

In the second half it was Glenea that started the strongest and they equalised on 50 minutes when Aodhan Ferry headed home a Padraig McGee free-kick. Both sides battled to get on top after this but chances were at a premium. Glenea thought they had scored on 75 minutes, but Darren Mc Geever’s effort was controversially ruled out for offside. S.t Catherines went close on 83 minutes when Barry Cannon got free but his effort was well saved by Joe Coll.

Glenea pressed right until the end and Donal Coll saw his header well saved. Best for Glenea was Donal Coll and Christopher Cannon, while Barry Cannon was best St. Catherines. Referee: Marty Quinn

Watson Hire Division One

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2

Cranford United 6

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. lost at home to Cranford United on Sunday evening. Three down at half time Niall Doherty produced a contender for Goal of the Season to give Hughie Walshe’s men a boost. Ciaran Mc Laughlin also scored for the Rab’s Park outfit but they had no answer for Cranford who added three more to seal the points. The Cranford scorers were Marty Mc Bride x3, Caolan Mc Gee x2 and Mark Morrison.

Donegal Town 1

Gweedore United 3

This game was played in very wet conditions on the Hospital Field, Donegal Town. Gweedore United got off to a dream start and found themselves two goals ahead after only 16 minutes. Patrick Coyle getting Gweedore’s first, a fine strike from 20 yards and then Micheal Barry got on the end of a loose ball at the edge of the Donegal box and made no mistake from close range. 2-0 to Gweedore at half time.

Donegal pushed hard in the 2nd half but couldn’t break down an excellent Gweedore defence. Gweedore caught Donegal on the break midway through and it was Micheal Barry who put the game to bed beating the Donegal keeper from close range. David Graham got a consolation goal for Donegal late in the game. 3-1 to Gweedore United at the final whistle

Lifford Celtic 1

Convoy Arsenal 4

Lifford started brightest and hit the front on 15 minutes with Alan Gethins volleying home a David Gethins’ cross following a fine move involving Adam Kelly and Colin Carlin. Convoy came into the game as halftime approached but Lifford’s defence held tight.

The second half had only began when Convoy drew level, Lee White parried a Ryan Carlin free kick but Eunan Kelly was alert to tap home. Lifford where forced into three quick substitutions as injuries began to add up.

Convoy took advantage of Lifford’s misfortune and hit the front on the hour mark as Guthrie finished following a through ball from Eunan Kelly. Convoy went on to add a further two goals as ex-Lifford player Robb scored on 70 minutes and Eunan Kelly grabbed his second and Convoys fourth on 80 minutes.

Raphoe Town 1

Lagan Harps 2

Raphoe welcomed Lagan Harps to the Deele College Grounds on a wet damp day for football. Raphoe played some great football in the first half and had Lagan pinned back for long periods with Micheal Quinn, Peter Mc Glynn and Christy Bogle dominant.

Raphoe lost Peter Mc Glynn to a very late tackle and on came Stephen Laird who put in a great shift on the left. In the second half Raphoe never got to grips with the game and Lagan started to take control. Raphoe keeper Roy Duffy made and excellent save but shortly afterwards Doran put Lagan one up after a slip up by a Raphoe player.

Then things went from bad to worse as the Raphoe keeper was sent off and Lagan got a second through Doran again. Raphoe then lost their stand in keeper through with a red card and a Lagan forward was sent off as well in a game that was far from dirty. Raphoe pulled a goal back through Keelan Gillen but it was too late. Team performance from both sides. Referee: Micky Mulhern

CT Ball Division Two

Whitestrand United 0

Deele Harps 1

Whitestrand United played Deele Harps at Mc Garvey Park. The game started at a frenetic pace with both teams having chances. The deadlock was broken when Deele took the lead, a well taken goal. The game was affected by the rain as the ball always picked up pace off the surface.

There weren’t many more clear cut chances as both teams strived to control the game in wet conditions. The second half started and the Whitestrand started on the front foot. They went in search of an equaliser.

Whitestrand spent long periods in the opposition half of the pitch but struggled to create many clear cut opportunities. They had a goal disallowed for a tight offside decision but the game petered out and ended with only the one goal.

Letterbarrow Celtic 5

Curragh Athletic 2

This game was played in good spirits and Curragh broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when Garvin Tinney curled a fantastic shot in off the post after James McDaid had made a great save with the first effort.

The home side restored parity when John Corley broke into the box and slotted the ball into the bottom corner from 10 yards. Letterbarrow took the lead on 40 minutes when Gerard Mc Brearty headed home after some good build up play.

The visitors piled on the pressure at the start of the second half but on 65 minutes Christy Burke powered a header home from a James Mc Groary corner. John Corley got his second and Letterbarrow’s fourth on 70 minutes when he beat the offside trap to slot past the keeper.

Gerard Mc Brearty got the fifth for the home side when he fired home from 20 yards after a neat one two. Shay Hannigan made in 5-2 when he scored from a corner on 85 minutes. Christy Burke was best for Letterbarrow, with Mickey O’Brien putting in a good performance for Curragh Athletic.

Eany Celtic 1

Erne Wanderers 7

Despite a bright start by Eany lost three quick goals to Mark Dorrian, Philip Patton and Diarmuid Slevin. Mark Dorrian was on target again in the 40th minute and completed his hat-trick on the stroke of half time. A spirited performance by Eany in the second half kept pressure on the visitors, but they were caught again and Cian

Dolan ran through for Erne’s 6th. Mark Ward got one back for Eany with a near post header with 20 minutes left. Luke Dolan got the final goal in injury time.

Dunkineely Celtic 3

Copany Rovers 1

Dunkineely Celtic got their first points of the season with a comprehensive home win over Copany Rovers. The home team dominated the opening exchanges and should have been on the scoreboard long before they got their first goal.

Pauric Conaghan got the opening goal on 22 minutes when he finished well from 10 yards after being set up by Emmet Kennedy. Copany equalised two minutes later when veteran Thomas Given headed home from a corner which came from Copany’s first meaningful attack. Dunkineely continued to dominate possession but poor finishing and some last ditch defending kept the scores level at the break.

Copany came out strongly after the break and almost caught the home defence napping on 46 minutes when a shot from the edge of the box went narrowly wide. Dunkineely got to grips with the game again and retook the lead on 55 minutes when Emmet Kennedy finished well from six yards from a Pauric Conaghan cross.

The home team continued to create chances and Paul Murrin and Adrian Nesbitt both went close. They made the game safe on 75 minutes when Emmet Kennedy chipped the keeper from the right side of the box following another Pauric Conaghan cross.

Best for Dunkineely were Aaron Byrne and Pauric Mc Intyre while Thomas Given led by example for a hard working Copany. Referee: Martin Mc Anenny