Castlefin Celtic celebrate Brian McCormick Cup success

Castlefin Celtic celebrate Brian McCormick Cup success
The Brian Mc Cormick Cup will reside at Park View, Castlefin for the first time in the club’s history.

The Brian Mc Cormick Cup will reside at Park View, Castlefin for the first time in the club’s history.

Castlefin Celtic 2

Milford United 1


What a difference a week can make and these very same players who stood defeated and deflated in Diamond Park, Ballyare just seven days ago, having lost the Promotion/Relegation Play-Off against Cranford United, are now on top of the world.

Milford United from the Premier Division were many people’s favourites going into the Brian Mc Cormick Cup Final and it was little surprise to them that Milford United took an early lead in this match which was switched to Dry Arch Park, Bonagee due to Diamond Park becoming unplayable on Saturday evening.

Gary Merritt’s free-kick may have taken a slight touch on its way through the Castlefin Celtic penalty area but Merritt was rightly credited with breaking the deadlock.

As the match progressed both sides had to settle for mainly half chances as neither outfit could find the killer final ball when well positioned. It was the stubbornness of Castlefin’s striker JP Malley that brought about his side’s leveller. Defiantly he chased down a back-pass to Caolan Mc Gettigan in the Milford net and after bringing a great save from the keeper he followed through to deflect the ball into the net after Mc Gettigan parried it away.

Whether or not it took a touch off Brendan Murray matters not as Malley was credited with the strike.

The remainder of the game saw both keepers make very fine saves and in doing so each kept their side in the match.

The loss of Ciaran Mc Ginley was a blow to Milford as the right-back had carried a threat along the right wing until his dismissal.

Damien Casey then saw red when he was yellow carded for the second time by match referee Marty Mc Garrigle.

Despite going down by numbers Milford battled well and indeed created some good openings without reward. Castlefin never really made their numerical advantage count and the game went to extra time.

Castlefin Celtic’s Simon Mc Glinchey was also dismissed for receiving two yellow cards. With time running out and a penalty shoot-out looking likely Castlefin found a winning goal.

Emmett White went on a rare forward mission and when he received the ball thirty five yards from goal he displayed the coolest head on the pitch as he looked up and curled his pass between two Milford defenders to JP Malley who stole in behind the Milford rearguard.

Malley composed himself before curling the ball past Mc Gettigan high into the Milford net. A killer blow at the worst possible time for Milford who had no time to respond.

It was celebration time for the Castlefin faithful who had watched their teams loose the Promotion / Relegation play-off seven days earlier and less than twenty four hours ago watched their Reserves side narrowly lose the Downtown Cup to Glenea United Reserves. Brian Mc Cormick was present to present the Cup on a fine day for football at the Dry Arch Park, Bonagee.

Castlefin Celtic: Anthony O’ Hagan, Michael Dunnion, P.J. Mc Menamin, Emmett White, Kieran Brennan, Dominic Mc Glinchey, Mark Carlin, Simon Mc Glinchey, J.P. Malley, Matthew O’ Rourke, Ronan Tourish. Subs: Colin Carlin, Anthony White, Damien Mc Annaney, Peter Bryson, Damien Doherty, James Mc Menamin, Cormac O’ Brien,

Milford United: Caolan Mc Gettigan, Ciaran Mc Ginley, Paul Shields, Mark Flood, Paddy Peoples, Damian Casey, Jamie Henna, Joey Cullen, Gary Merritt, P.J. Hagan, Brendan Murray. Subs: Cathal Mc Gettigan, Peter Doherty, T.J. Evesson, Lee Burke, Ciaran Gibbons, Christy Mc Cafferty, Gavin Grier, Ciaran Blaney, Johnny Sweeney.

Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle. Assistants: Joe Mc Hugh and Marty Quinn