Some big wins in Donegal Youth League

Some big wins in Donegal Youth League
There were some big wins in the Donegal Youth League with Keadue Rovers hitting nine goals and Gweedore Celtic hitting six.

There were some big wins in the Donegal Youth League with Keadue Rovers hitting nine goals and Gweedore Celtic hitting six.


Friday 7th February

Cappry Rovers 5-2 Castlefin Celtic

Saturday 8th February

Gweedore Celtic 6-1 Lifford Celtic

Ballybofey United 3-2 Erne Wanderers

Keadue Rovers 9-0 Gweedore United


Monday 10th February Ko7.30pm

Letterkenny Rovers v Fanad United

Friday 14th February Ko 7.30pm

Letterkenny Rovers v Gweedore Celtic

Saturday 15th February Ko 2pm

Erne Wanderers v Gweedore United

Lifford Celtic v Keadue Rovers

Bonagee United v Ballybofey United

Gweedore Celtic 6

Lifford Celtic 1

Gweedore won this battle of the Celtics as they scored six goals in a comfortable victory. Eamonn Mc Hugh the star performer as he netted four goals.Gweedore opened the scoring on ten minutes with a Mc Hugh penalty and he added another on fifteen minutes. Naoise O’Baoill added a third on thirty minutes.Gweedore scored three more in the second half,Sean O Donell got on the scoresheet and Mc Hugh scored another two.Ryan Bradley scored a late consolation goal for Lifford.

Next weekend both teams play their final league game before the enter Cup action. Gweedore Celtic are away to Letterkenny Rovers on Friday night and Lifford host Keadue Rovers on Saturday.

Cappry Rovers 5

Castlefin Celtic 2

Cappry started off the brighter of the two sides and took the lead in the 10th minute through Christopher McBrearty after some good work down the left by Philip Doherty and Shane Laverty. On 15 minutes Conor Laverty had a penalty shout turned away by referee Joe McHugh who had a good view of the incident. Castlefin rallied, and on 18 minutes they equalised from the penalty spot with James Kee converting after David Carr had handled.

The game ebbed and flowed until Carr made amends in the 33rd minute when he scored from close range after McBrearty’s header had been saved. Cappry’s tails were up and McBrearty grabbed a second on 40 minutes when he rifled home from 20 yards after being played through by Shane Laverty. Five minutes later Laverty repeated the assist for Philip Doherty to run on to his through ball and finish cooly. On the stroke of half-time McBrearty had a great chance for his hat-trick but Anthony O’Hagan saved well.

The second half saw Castlefin up the ante and they looked threatening on several occasions. Owen Gallen in the Cappry goal made one very timely intervention to prevent Castlefin adding to their tally. However, on 62 minutes Shane Laverty went on a great run and set up half-time substitute Owen McCrudden who scored from close range.

To their credit Castlefin didn’t give up and they were rewarded in the 75th minute when Owen Gibbons lobbed the keeper to score his side’s second goal of the night. Both teams had further chances to score but it finished up 5-2 to the home side. Cappry were good value for their victory but Castlefin never gave up and kept going to the end.

Referee Joe McHugh, was calmness personified and kept control of the game right throughout.