Boyle goal proves enough as Glenea win at Cranford

Boyle goal proves enough  as Glenea win at Cranford
With Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division leaders Rathmullan Celtic losing at Lifford Celtic, Glenea United also made ground.

With Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division leaders Rathmullan Celtic losing at Lifford Celtic, Glenea United also made ground.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Cranford United 0

Glenea United 1

Glenea left Cranford with all three points but it was a lucky escape for the title challengers.

The winner came against the run of play with just seven minutes remaining.

In a tightly contested first half chances were at a premium with Marty McBride and Shaun Mc Elwaine having efforts for Cranford and Kevin Mulhern and Ryan McFadden for Glenea.

Glenea scored the goal which turned out to be the winner in the 83rd minute when a Denis Boyle deflected shot hit the net off the crossbar.

Cranford still had time to see a Seamus Friel shot brilliantly tipped over by Joe Coll.

Curragh Athletic 3 Gweedore Celtic 1

Curragh gained their first points of the season thanks to a very good performance and three well taken goals.

Playing against Gaeltacht club Gweedore Celtic, the home team deserved their victory.

On 31 minutes Shane Barclay shot wide as Curragh began to dominate and they deservedly went in front when forward Dan O’Brien was put through on goal by Marcus Oliver and his delightful chip beat keeper Mickey Mc Kelvey to put Curragh one up at the break.

The second half continued well for Curragh who then doubled their lead on 49 minutes when Shane Barclay produced a brilliant individual goal beating three players before also chipping the ball over the advancing McKelvey.

The visitors did pull a goal back following a corner with Ciaran Ferry netting on 65 minutes but Dan O’ Brien wrapped up all three points on 81 minutes when he rounded the keeper and scored from a very tight angle.

Donegal Town 2 Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

It was honours even at the Hospital Field as Donegal Town and Kilmacrennan Celtic played out an entertaining 2-2 draw.

The game sprang to life in the last half hour when Benny Byrne put the home side in front, finishing from close range.

Kilmacrennan responded well and got an equaliser when Steven Mc Elwaine slotted the ball home.

The home side then pressed in search of a winning goal and an excellent strike from Clint Walsh looked like it had sealed the three points for the home side.

Kilmacrennan had different ideas and ensured they left with a point when Michael McLaughlin slipped through the defence to slot the ball under Dermot Mc Cafferty.

Milford United 1 St Catherine’s 4

St Catherine’s left Moyle View Park with a comprehensive win over Milford United.

The visitors took the lead on 20 minutes through Shane Molloy and Jamie Heaney equalised a minute later driving home a ball from a corner.  

The Killybegs men took the lead  on the stroke of half-time with a well worked team goal.

Milford had a great chance on 60 minutes when Joey Cullen shot wide at back post and St Catherines went up the field on the break an Daniel Breslin tapped home for a 3-1 lead.

Killybegs scored a fourth in the final minutes through O’Rourke.

Watson Hire

Division One

Bonagee United 1 Gweedore United 1

Gweedore United left Dry Arch Park with a point following a 1-1 draw with Bonagee United.

Bonagee took the lead on 12 minutes when Noel O’ Donnell fired home from 10 yards after a Reece short cross from the left.

Gweedore levelled the match on 57 minutes when a free-kick from 25 yards from James Boyle found the top right corner of the net.

Both teams had chances, for Coyle and Short for the home team and Michael Connelly and Ciaran Mc Fadden for the visitors.

Kerrykeel 5

Keadue Rovers 0

Kerrykeel got back to winning ways with a good win over a young Keadue side. 

  Kerrykeel went in front on 35 minutes when a great Aidan McAteer cross was met by Johnny ‘Nanny’ Friel and he fired home from 18 yards.

Kerrykeel had a great start to the second half when Seimie ‘Coshia’ Friel found room in the box and cooly shot home. 

The points were made safe on 58 minutes when Paddy Mc Grenaghan played in Niall Doherty and he brilliantly rounded the keeper and hit the bottom corner. 

Mc Grenaghan made it four on 75 minutes, this time Mark Friel set him up and he drove home from 10 yards. 

Friel rounded off the scoring on 88 minutes when he broke clear down the right and beat two defenders before striking home.

Lagan Harps 2

Castlefin Celtic 3

Lagan will wonder how they came away with no points from a game they dominated Castlefin Celtic for long periods.

Castlefin took the lead on 25 minutes. PJ Mc Menamin scored with a free-kick from 30 yards.

They doubled their lead when they were awarded a penalty on 38 minutes with Ronan Tourish converting.

 Lagan got a lifeline when Ruairi Crawford’s cross was turned in by a Castlefin defender.

Castlefin grabbed a third on 85 minutes when Ronan Tourish pounced to score from close range.

Lagan grabbed a second when they were awarded a penalty and Eunan Diver converted.

Dunkineely Celtic 2 Drumoghill FC 4

Drumoghill FC left Dunkineely Celtic’s Darney Park with all three points.

Drumoghill took the lead on 28 minutes when Kevin Kelly scored with a direct free kick from the edge of the box.

Dunkineely’s reply was instant. From the kick off they forced a corner and in the resulting scramble the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Martin Cunningham. Adrian Nesbitt scored.

On 40 minutes they drew level when they were awarded a penalty. The keeper saved the first attempt, but the referee ordered it to be retaken for encroachment by Dunkineely.

Liam O’ Donnell scored at the second attempt but once again the referee ordered it to be retaken for encroachment by Drumoghill. O’ Donnell put the third attempt away to level the score.

Drumoghill took the lead on 75 minutes. With the home team expecting a whistle for a foul Damien Crossan fired in a long range shot which flew into the top corner.

They scored their fourth to seal the victory on 78 minutes when David O’Connell headed home a free.

Eany Celtic 0

Cappry Rovers 7

Cappry Rovers secured all three points at Eany Park with seven second half goals.

Following Dylan Ramsey’s opening goal in the 50th minute further goals in a 20-minute spell from Brian Lafferty, Dylan Ramsey and Michael Lafferty saw the visitors break Eany’s resolve.

It wasn’t till late on in the game that the other goals from Mark Griffin and Kyle Lafferty completed the Cappry performance.

CT Ball Division Two

Copany Rovers 2

Deele Harps 1

Copany Rovers edged past Deele Harps at Ballykillone Park.

Copany opened the scoring in the 28th minute with a good passing move up the right wing which found its way to Glenn Harron who neatly slotted it home.  

David Graham made it two in the 37th minute. Deele were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which Darragh Kelly slotted home via a deflection.  

Copany started to up their game and were unlucky on numerous occasions, hitting the woodwork twice.

Letterbarrow Celtic 1 Ballybofey United 1

Letterbarrow Celtic came from behind to claim a share of the spoils with Ballybofey United on Sunday afternoon at Tymeen.

The Twin Towns outfit took the lead on 15 minutes when David White scored.

Letterbarrow got their equaliser 10 minutes into the second half and that completed the scoring in this CT Ball Division Two match.

Raphoe Town 2

Dunlewey Celtic 1

Raphoe Town grabbed all three points when they grabbed victory by the odd goal in three against Dunlewey Celtic.

Raphoe sprung to life when a fine move involving David Craig and Jamie Gallagher who set up Gavin Mc Brearty to slot home with a fine finish.

Raphoe stayed on top after this and went two up just after half time when Gallagher was on hand to slam home a rebound after a fine effort from Seamus Bogle was saved.

Credit to the away side they kept going and got a goal back after a great run by Mc Geady, beating four men and finishing well.

Whitestrand United 2 Convoy Arsenal 1

Whitestrand United defeated Convoy Arsenal at Whitestrand Park.

The Whitestrand keeper kept his team in it with two superb saves as Convoy pressed for the opening goal.

Then against the run of play Anthony Fisher seized upon a hopeful ball forward and he squared it to Paul Lynch who struck for goal.

The Convoy keeper saved but was unable to keep out Michael Sweeney’s rebound conversion.

That goal came against the run of play but it spurred Whitestrand on to score a second when James Gallagher hit a cross come shot which crossed the line in the 36th minute.

Convoy got a goal back when Luke Harkin’s free found the bottom corner on 38 minutes.

As the match wore on Whitestrand seemed content to hold on for the victory, which was exactly what happened as late Convoy pressure led to nothing and the game ended 2-1.