Paddy Raffety nets six as Glencar Celtic run riot against Fintown Harps

Paddy Raffety nets six as Glencar Celtic run riot against Fintown Harps
Glencar Celtic were the big winners in the Old Orchard Saturday Division One when they hammered Fintown Harps 8-1.

Glencar Celtic were the big winners in the Old Orchard Saturday Division One when they hammered Fintown Harps 8-1.

Glencar Celtic 8

Fintown Harps AFC 1

Glencar Celtic were in rampant form when they got the better of Fintown Harps in Rathmullan.

It was the home side who started brighter and Shane Hilley crossed for Paddy Rafferty to volley home from close range. Within five minutes the visitors had drawn level. A long freekick put the Glencar men under pressure and Fintown capitalised.

 On the half hour mark Glencar sprang to life again and when a fantastic left footed effort from the edge of the box by Shane Hilley rattled the bar Rafferty poached his second of the game.

Rafferty completed his firstst half hat-trick after Shane Hilley rose highest to contest a header and set up his strike partner up to score. It was 3-1 at the break.

Glencar finally found their shooting boots again and Michael Molloy went on a good run down the left before passing to Rafferty who netted his side’s fourth.

Glencar scored again when Mickey Crossan, on the overlap, crossed perfectly for Baker whose scissor kick nestled in the bottom corner. Glencar had the ball in the net again shortly afterwards when Crossan fired home from the edge of the box. Another quick fire brace from Rafferty just before full-time completed the scoring. Six on the day for Raffety.

Orchard F.C. 6

Ramelton Mariners 1

On a bright afternoon Orchard claimed all three points with a good display against a hard working Ramelton side with Redmond Doherty impressing.

The scoring was opened on 15minutes when Doherty slotted home from 10 yards.

Doherty got his second when he reacted quickest in the box to slot home. It was three on the half hour when Geared Patton outpaced the Ramelton defence to slot home. Ramelton got one back before half time when Patrick Durning chipped the keeper from the edge of the box.

At the start of the second half Niall Bonner broke free, turning the defender inside out, before somehow hitting the crossbar from four yards out. Ramelton started to take control of the game and with wind at their backs created a few good chances but the Orchard back four stood strong well marshalled by Chic McLaughlin and Rory O’Gorman.

Two quick goals form Orchard put this game to bed. On 70, Doherty completed a hat-trick when finishing well after goal mouth scramble. They got another on 75minutes when Luke Friel finish well from the edge of the box. Not to be outdone, Sean Sweeney tapped home from two yards out after good work from Niall Bonner.

Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two

Strand Rovers 2

Milford United 5

A clash of the two bottom teams in Maghery saw Milford won at Strand Rovers.

Strand were rewarded just after five minutes when an in swinging corner ended up in the Milford net. 1-0 to Strand but didn’t last long as Milford equalised a few minutes later. Strand pushed forward again and regained the lead but couldn’t hold on to it and gifted Milford an equaliser to leave it 2-2 at half time. The second half saw an increasing wind favour Milford and they took advantage and pilled on the pressure. A few injuries to Strand players saw them sit back and it ended in a Milford victory 5-2. Scorers for Milford were PJ Hagan with two, JJ Fleming bagged a brace and Kieran Fleming.

Cranford United Reserves 2

Donegal Town Reserves 1

Cranford got the better of Donegal Town reserves by two goals to one with Danny McBride scoring twice.

Donegal Town gradually came into the game and after getting on top took the lead through a great solo goal from Joe McIntyre. Chances were falling to both teams with Naoise Cullen going close for Cranford and Ted Bustard going close for Donegal Town.

Cranford started the second half again on top and had some great chances through Dale McFadden and Kyle Black. Cranford equalised after good work from Kyle Black set up McBride who finished well into the corner.

Cranford then got a winner in the 85th minute when McBride reacted well to finish from close range. Decent team efforts from both sides.

Glenree United 6

Curragh Athletic 2

Glenrre United enjoyed a comprehensive win over Curragh Athletic.

The pressure told in the 10th minute when Mc Elhinney slotted home from six yards.

He doubled his tally four minutes later when he blasted past the keeper.

The third goal came on the half hour mark when Darren Connor looked up and spotted the keeper off his line to let fly from 30 yards to see his shot nestle in the net.

The home side were cruising and Vinny Mc Laughlin got on the score-sheet when he replicated the third goal and let fly to lob the keeper. Curragh mustered up a few attacks before half time but nothing to unsettle the Glenree defence.  

In the second half Curragh made three changes and it seemed to pay off as they started to get into a game.

They found themselves five down however when Damien Nelis jumped highest to nod it over a helpless keeper. Joey Lee struck a lovely free kick to give the away side a fighting chance with thirty minutes left.   In the 70th minute they struck again when Darren Doherty finished well .

Glenree completed the scoring when Dylan McBride squared it for Damien Nelis to pile-drive into the net.

This took the wind out of Curragh’s sails and the game was finished as a contest.