Arranmore hit three in good away win

Arranmore hit three in good away win

Arranmore United were among the winners in the Downtown Cup while Fintown Harps won a nine goal thriller in Donegal Town

Downtown Cup

Tullyvinney Rovers 1

Arranmore United 3

Chances were few and far between in the first half of this battle between two second division teams in the Downtown Cup. 

Tullyvinney came closest to scoring at the end of the half when a Marty Alexander strike brought the best out of the Arranmore goalkeeper. Daniel McNulty fired the rebound over the bar.

Arranmore came out with all guns blazing for the second half. They got their first after only one minute when a long ball over the top found Chris Mc Glanaghey who made no mistake.

Three minutes later the Islanders got their second when Michael Regan reacted quickest to a loose ball and slotted home to double the advantage. Tullyvinney had a good chance to get back into the game when a long ball over the top from Stephen Devine was latched onto by McNulty but he put the ball wide of the net. 

The third Arranmore goal came in the 70th minute when Dan O’Donnell turned in a Chris Mc Glanaghey cross effectively killing off the game.

Tullyvinney battled hard to get back into the game and were rewarded for their efforts when Mervyn White scored his first of the season from a McNulty corner. It finished 3-1 to the visitors after a match played in good spirits by both teams. B

est for Arranmore: Mark Ward, Gerard Diver and Ben Mc Garvey. Team performance from Tullyvinney.

Donegal Town Reserves 4

Fintown Harps AFC 5

A late show from Fintown stole the points with two goals in the dying minutes denied the home side victory. In an entertaining game played at the Hospital Field Fintown went ahead early when Darragh Gallagher poked home at the near post.

Daniel Mc Hugh got Donegal back in the game with an excellent finish shortly after. McHugh then doubled his tally to put Donegal in front on the twenty minute mark. Aaron Thompson levelled with a tidy finish from inside the area before McHugh sealed an impressive first half hat-trick tapping in after wonderful work out wide from Nathan Ward. After the break Fintown pushed on and were level again when Thompson scored from a set piece.

McHugh was proving unstoppable at this stage and pounced again inside the area beating two men and sliding the ball under the advancing ‘keeper. It stayed that way until the final minutes when two quick Fintown goals meant a win for the Cup holders.

Brian Delaney got the equaliser with a fine header and Aaron Thompson won it in the dying seconds scoring from a corner. Best for Donegal was the outstanding Daniel McHugh with Fintown putting in a good team performance.

Milford United Reserves 1

Glenea United Reserves 2

Glenea went away with all three points after a closely fought affair in Moyle View. Milford welcomed back Damian Casey into the midfield after a long lay-off through injury.

Both teams had plenty of possession in the first half without creating any real goal scoring opportunities.

Dean Gallagher broke the deadlock on the half hour when he reacted quickest to a cross into the box to beat the keeper with a fine header. In the second half Milford were content to sit back and try to hit Glenea on the break and this paid off when Ciaran Blaney raced onto a through ball and was taken down in the box with JJ Fleming dispatching the resultant penalty.

The game looked like it was heading for a draw until ten minutes from the end when Milford gifted Glenea possession and Gallagher raced clear to grab his second. Milford had the ball in the net right at the end but it was ruled out for an infringement on the keeper.

Glenree United Reserves 0

Mulroy Celtic 1

A closely contested first half saw the better chances come the way of the hosts. Cathal Mc Ginley’s 34th minute effort came closest to breaking the deadlock but the ball crashed off the underside of the bar before bouncing on the goal-line and into the Mulroy keeper’s hands.

Karl Mc Elhinney almost put the home side in front only to see his effort cleared off the line by the visiting left-back. The visitors got their act together in the second half and started to use the ball more effectively but still couldn’t create a clear cut opportunity with Paul Coyle and Eamon Sweeney both having shots from long range to no avail.

In the 70th minute the Mulroy got a free kick on the edge of the penalty box and it was floated in for Charlie Talbot to rise highest at the back post to nod home. The home side never really settled in the second half and didn’t create many chances. Both sides had half chances as time ran out.

Good team performance by Mulroy Celtic. Best for Glenree United Reserves were Cathal Mc Ginley and Max Davis.

Orchard F.C. 5

Keadue Rovers Reserves 2

Orchard collected all three points from this Downtown Cup match with Sean Sweeney bagging a hat-trick in the first 45minutes.

Orchard opened the scoring on thirteen minutes when Steven Toye was brought down in the box. Sweeney stepped up to hammer home the spot kick.

Sweeney got his and Orchard’s second when he rounded three men on the edge of the box and bent his shot into the top corner in the twenty fifth minute. Keadue went close with attempts from Hanlon and Green but found Mc Laughlin in the Orchard net in fine form.

Orchard where awarded their second penalty in the forth second minute and Sweeney slotted home his third goal.
The second half started with Orchard on top and Andrew Doherty slotted home from inside the box.

Keadue fought back and Adrian Hanlon fired home a rebound after a free-kick. They added their second on seventy five minutes when Ryan Green shot home from distance. Orchard wrapped up the game with five minutes to go when a Niall Bonner free kick was deflected into the Keadue net.

Best for Orchard: Barney McMenamin, Chic McLaughlin and Sean Sweeney
Best for Keadue: Adrian Hanlon. Referee: Barry Hunter

Cranford United Res 2

Strand Rovers 2

Cranford started well and had a number of chances through Conor Shiels and Dale McFadden. Strand came into the game and after a quick free kick Adrian Hanlon finished neatly into the corner to put Strand one up.

Cranford equalised when Chris Duffy scored from the edge of the box. The second half started with Cranford pressing but Strand took the lead when Brendan Brennan scored after a defensive mix-up. Kyle Black then rounded the keeper to level the match and a share of the spoils was a fair outcome

Castlefin Celtic Reserves 2

St. Catherines Reserves 1

Castlefin welcomed St.Catherines to Park View on Saturday.

Castlefin looked the brighter in the opening exchanges, hitting the St.Catherines woodwork twice. Castlefin took the lead on twenty six minutes after Gary McNulty found Brian Dooher unmarked.

Dooher beat the defence and rounded the keeper to break the deadlock. St.Catherines found an equaliser when a 30 yard free kick was parried by the Castlefin netminder into the path of Stephen Anderson who scored on thirty nine minutes.

As both teams pressed for a winner Mark Lafferty squared the ball to Colin Carlin in the box, on eighty five minutes, and he beat the keeper to settle the result in favour of the home team.

Best for Castlefin: David Stewart. Team performance from St. Catherines. Referee: Kevin Doherty