Glenea United close in on leaders Rathmullan Celtic

Glenea United close in on leaders Rathmullan Celtic
Glenea United remain a point behind Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division leaders Rathmullan Celtic are a 0-0 draw with Milford.

Glenea United remain a point behind Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division leaders Rathmullan Celtic are a 0-0 draw with Milford.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Glenea United 0

Milford United 0

In cold condition Glenea continued their unbeaten run in the league but neither side was able to find a goal to win the game. Playing with the wind it was the away side that started brightest and on 15 minutes PJ Hagan found himself free in the box but pulled his shot wide.

As the half progressed Glenea came more into the game and on 30 minutes a Sean Maguire through ball put Sean McBride away but his ball across to Ryan McFadden was cut out by the Milford defence.

Minutes later Kevin Mulhern broke through the middle and got onto Padraig McGee’s pass and lifted the ball over the keeper only to see it fall the wrong side of the post.

In the second half the home team dominated the possession but were finding it hard to create any clear cut chances with Ryan McFadden going close from a narrow angle and then Donal Coll saw his effort deflected onto the post.

Lifford Celtic 2

Curragh Athletic 0

Lifford gathered a much needed three points against a determined Curragh side.

The weather or pitch conditions didn’t favour either side but Lifford settled quickest as Johnny Robb calmly finished at the second attempt following a through ball from Kevin Mc Brearty on the 20-minute mark.

Lifford went further ahead on the half hour when Alan Gethins finished following good build up play from Ross Porter down the right flank.

The second half began with the Curragh pushing more men forward but the Lifford rearguard of Mark McNulty and David O’ Herlihy stood strong.

As full time approached Ronnie Carlin got through on the Lifford goal, from a Neil Lloyd pass, but Lee White was equal to the task in the Lifford net.

Watson Hire

Division One

Cappry Rovers 1

Drumoghill F.C. 1

It was honours even at Cappry Park as Rovers and Drumoghill drew 1-1

Cappry started the game brightly and pressed hard for the opening goal.

They came close in the 10th minute when Darren O’Leary hit the post with a stunning free kick from 35 yards.

In the 14th minute they took the lead through Gavin Reilly who’s long throw-in ended up in the net.

The home side should have added to their tally before half time with Brendan Mc Laughlin going close on a couple of occasions.

Drumoghill started the second half better and pressed for an equaliser.

They got level in the 60th minute when Michael Doherty crossed for Liam O’Donnell to head home from inside the six-yard box.

Cappry responded well and pressed for a second goal. In the 70th minute the home team had a good shout for a penalty turned when Brendan McLaughlin was pushed by the Drumoghill keeper as he went round him.

In the 74th minute Kevin Mc Glynn rounded the keeper and squared the ball to Brian Lafferty who had his effort cleared off the line by Brian Coll.

Drumoghill went close through a Michael Doherty shot in the 82nd minute. In the 91st minute Alan Patton went close but saw his shot go just over the bar.

CT Ball Division Two

Convoy Arsenal v

Copany Rovers

Match referee Marty Quinn abandoned this game in the first half due to a player receiving an injury

Whitestrand United 3

Ballybofey United 1

On a cold fresh day Whitestrand United took on Ballybofey United at Whitestrand Park.

The match started with both teams evenly matched and not many chances coming to either. As the match wore on Whitestrand began to exert themselves more upon the game and a great chance went begging when Calvin McGowan latched onto a knockdown from Paul lynch but fired over the bar.

Whitestrand had another chance when good build up led to Paul lynch having a shot but he skewed it wide.

The first goal came on the half hour mark when Joe Blaney raced onto a pass from Paul Lynch and skipped past a defender before firing past the goalkeeper.

It was a well deserved goal and a second nearly came for the home side when a spectacular overhead kick from Patrick Mc Groddy went wide of the post.

They were made to rue that miss when a goalmouth scramble led to PH Bonar scoring the equaliser and the teams went in at half time all square.

The second half started similar to the first with both teams trying to exert their dominance over the game.

There weren’t many chances for either team in the earlier part of the half but the key moment came with about 20 minutes to go when Paul Lynch headed an excellent goal.

It really was a crucial goal for the team and the icing on the cake came when Michael Sweeney broke through and finished superbly past the Ballybofey keeper.

Ballybofey did push towards the end to attempt to get back into the game but Whitestrand held firm and earned what could turn out to be a priceless win.

Deele Harps 2

Dunlewy Celtic 1

Deele entertained Dunlewey on a wintry afternoon at The Athletic Grounds and ran out 2-1 winners.

The home side were dominant in the early exchanges but couldn’t force the breakthrough.

Dunlewey threatened through the middle as the half progressed. In the 30th minute a superb move started by young James McNulty as he exchanged a one - two with Aidy Gallagher and then slid a perfect pass into Brian Breslin who finished well.

In fairness to Dunlewey they kept going and were dangerous from set pieces. The second half was a scrappy affair with the pitch restricting any chance of good football.,

But Deele extended their lead in the 60th minute when the impressive Brian Breslin once again terrorised the Dunlewey full back as he raced through from the wing and showed great composure to find Shane Gallagher who finished well from six yards.

Dunlewey kept going and found a way back into the game when Christopher Cannon scored direct from a 20 yard free kick.

In the end the game petered out with Deele claiming a valuable three points ahead of the Christmas break.

Two decent team performances.