Champions Lifford Celtic turn over Milford United

Champions Lifford Celtic turn over Milford United
The top two going into Sunday’s fixtures in the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division both lost to the last two teams to win the division.

The top two going into Sunday’s fixtures in the Brian McCormick Sports Premier Division both lost to the last two teams to win the division.

Milford United went down 2-1 against Lifford Celtic, while Gweedore Celtic were beaten by neighbours Glenea United.

Brian Mc Cormick

Sports Premier Division

Lifford Celtic 2

Milford United 1

Milford settled quickest and had Lifford on the back foot from early in the game.

Lifford struggled to get out of their own half thanks to good play from Gary Merrit and PJ Hagan.

Milford got their reward when Christy Mc Cafferty finished well giving Paul Given in the Lifford goal little chance as half time loomed.

A few harsh words during Lifford’s half time team-talk seemed to spring the border town men into life as the second half began.

It was now Milford’s turn to be on the back foot as Johnny Robb calmly finished following a through ball from Johnny Mahon on 50 minutes.

The game hung in the balance until 70 minutes when up popped David Gethins with the important winner following a cross from Ross Porter.

Milford continued to press as full time approached and almost grabbed a draw only for the heroic Mark McNulty to make a goal line clearance in the 90th minute.

Cranford United 2

Kilmacrennan Celtic 2

Cranford and Kilmacrennan played an entertaining draw in Cranford Park.

Cranford had a few great chances through Brendan Giles and Shaun Mc Elwaine. 

They took the lead when Kyle Black finished brilliantly from the edge of the box after receiving a cross from Brendan Giles.

Kilmacrennan then equalised when a Timmy Burke cross was deflected into the Cranford net.

Kilmacrennan took the lead after good work from Edwin Doherty to finish from a tight angle.

Cranford started the second half on top and equalised when Kyle Black finished well from inside the box.

Glenea United 1 Gweedore Celtic 0

In fine conditions for football it was the home side that earned a hard fought victory in this Gaeltacht derby.

In a tight 1st half neither side was given any time on the ball and chances were at a premium.

Gweedore’s best effort came on 38 minutes when, from a free-kick into the box, the ball broke to Fionan Diver but his effort was well saved by Joe Coll.

Glenea’s best moment came on 40 minutes when a Denis Boyle in-swinging free-kick was not dealt with by the away defence but Paul McBride cleared off the line.

Despite their dominance Gweedore were finding it hard to create any clear cut chances until the 65th minute when Colin Ferry’s through ball found Declan Doherty but his effort was well saved by Joe Coll.

On 70 minutes Glenea opened the scoring when Sean Coll’s cross from the left found Kevin Mulhern and he drilled the ball across the face of the goal where Sean McBride reacted quickest to stab the ball home.

Gweedore pushed hard for an equaliser but the home defence denied them any clear cut chances.

Rathmullan Celtic 2 St. Catherines 2

The home side raced in a two-goal lead inside 20 minutes but found the Killybegs outfit in little mood to cave in.

Brian Dorrian’s team emerged after half time to put their mark on the game and although it seemed the Celts had weathered the storm Christopher Cunningham’s late goal meant it was a point apiece from this game.

With 10 minutes gone birthday boy Eamonn Sheridan fired the Hoops ahead in stunning fashion.

St Catherines had their brightest moment of the half when some neat interplay down the left got Gareth Concarr in and his stinging shot was well saved by Ian Strain.

On 20 minutes Dara Patton was fouled on the edge of box and from the resultant free Paddy ‘Craig’ Sheridan lashed home an unstoppable low drive to double Rathmullan’s advantage.

Before the break Strain was forced into a double save as Shane Molloy’s shot was palmed into the path of home defender Kieran Gorman who almost turned the ball into his own net but for the reactions of his goalkeeper.

Jason Noctor raced onto a long ball and beat Strain to the chase before knocking the ball over the keeper into an unguarded goal to bring the game alive once more. T

hree minutes from full-time St. Catherines were awarded a free on the half way line and the ball was knocked long. It fell to Cunningham whose crisp right-foot strike flew into the bottom corner giving Strain no chance.

Curragh Athletic 2

Donegal Town 4

Donegal got their first win of the season with a fine performance over fellow Premier Division newcomers Curragh Athletic.

Donegal started well and got the opening goal when Kevin Devaney’s defence splitting pass allowed the lively David Harron to round the advancing ‘keeper and slide the ball home.

Donegal doubled their lead before half time when Ryan Earley’s long range effort was deflected past the Curragh net-minder.

Curragh started well after half time and went close when a well struck free kick came back off the crossbar.

Donegal reinforced their dominance when David Harron jinked his way through the Curragh defence only to be brought down for a penalty.

Early converted the penalty expertly to double his tally and when David Bustard scored from a corner shortly after the three points were all but sealed.

Curragh battled hard to their credit and scored two late consolation goals through Ryan Carlin, who finished well inside the area, and through Neil Lloyd who scored from long range.

Watson Hire

Division One

Keadue Rovers 6

Eany Celtic 2

Keadue Rovers had their first victory of the season in Division 1 following this convincing win over Eany Celtic at Central Park.

Keadue took the lead on when Adam Neely found some space and his low shot from the edge of the area went under the keeper.

They doubled it two minutes before the interval. Into the second half and Keadue remained on top and made it 3-0 on 56 minutes.

Ryan Greene who missed a chance a few minutes earlier made no mistake at the back post. Just after the hour mark sub Adrian Hanlon made it 4-0 with a finish again at the back post following a good passing move.

Eany pulled a goal back from a set piece when Stephen Meehen scored. The home side were very dangerous on the break getting plenty of joy down the left wing and they made it 5-1 when David Ward back heeled to the net on 80 minutes following good work from Adrian Hanlon.

Eany pulled another one back five minutes from the end when Mark Sweeney’s attempted clearance was blocked by James Flynn and this rebounded to the net.

Adrian Hanlon with the last kick of the game volleyed home Keadue’s sixth goal.

Bonagee United 1 Drumoghill F.C. 3

Sean Crossan came close for the home team when his corner kick hit the back post and the defence cleared.

The visitors took the lead on 40 minutes when a corner kick was headed to the roof of the net by David O’Carroll.

The home team levelled the match on the hour when a Garry Patton free just outside the box was blocked by the wall and the striker was firs to react and hammer the rebound into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors took the lead again on 65 minutes when Michael Doherty cut in from the right and hammered the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors got their third on eighty minutes when Liam O’Donnell was put through after a quick throw in by Brian Coll and the striker hammered home from ten yards

Gweedore United 3

Castlefin Celtic 1

The home side took the lead in the 20th minute when a good passing move ended with Michael Connolly putting Ciaran Mc Fadden through with an excellent pass which Mc Fadden finished well with a left foot shot into the top corner to make it 1-0.

The Castlefin men were back level six minutes later when another good passing move was well finished by JP Malley from 10 yards to make it 1-1.

The home side were back in front three minutes later when Keith Sweeney’s corner was headed into the back of the net by Joe Duffy.

Gweedore secured the three points in the 70th minute with Joe Duffy again on the mark when he shot from six yards past Lafferty in the Castlefin nets.

Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2

Cappry Rovers 2

Kerrykeel ‘71 dropped two points at home after letting a two goal lead slip up. 

The ‘71 started at a lightning pace and were in front on fifteen seconds when Fergal Friel crossed for Mark Friel to tap home.  Before Cappry knew what hit them they were two behind, this time Kevin Loughrey crossed from the left and Johnny Friel headed home from 10 yards. 

Cappry got back into the game on the stroke of half-time when Paddy McNulty scored after a goal mouth scramble.

After Mark Friel put a penalty wide for the hosts, Cappry pushed and got their second on 85 minutes from Ciaran Gallagher. 

Lagan Harps 2

Dunkineely Celtic 3

Lagan and Dunkineely served up an entertaining encounter at Orchard Park.

Lagan got off to a great start when Eunan Diver headed home a Damien Mc Fadden free kick on five minutes.

Dunkineely began to take over in midfield and equalised when Pauric Cunningham scored with a Beckham like effort when his long ball forward from the half way line sailed in over the Lagan keeper’s head.

Dunkineely took the lead on when the Lagan keeper spilled a high cross and Peter Alvey tapped home.

They scored their third on 40 minutes when Adrian Nesbitt picked up a poor kick out and raced through to score.

 On 55 minutes Lagan’s Ross Hamlyn got over a great cross but John Mc Mullin saved Austin Marron’s close range effort.

Lagan finally pulled a goal back on 80 minutes when Declan Sweeney volleyed home in a scramble after a Lagan free kick.

CT Ball Division Two

Raphoe Town 0

Copany Rovers 2

Copany Rovers took all three points with a very strong first half performance.

They went ahead when Rooney scored after a corner.

They went two up a few minutes later when they broke at speed and finished well. Raphoe never got into it and had keeper Micheal Curran to thank for keeping it at two with some fine saves. Raphoe came into it in the second half but Copany soaked up the pressure and held on to claim the points.

Dunlewy Celtic 2 Ballybofey United 0

Winter is settling into the hills of Dunlewey and it was a cold afternoon for both these two teams in strong winds.

The home side took the lead with Mc Geady scoring from just outside the box.

The home side manage to hit on the break when a clearance fell to Hugo Cannon who brought the best out of the visiting keeper but his save fell to Manus Cannon who knocked home to secure the spoils.

Convoy Arsenal 1

Deele Harps 0

Convoy really upped the tempo with about 10 minutes remaining in the first half but it ended scoreless at the break. The second period continued with Convoy on top. They got the breakthrough in the 47th minute via a great strike from the edge of the box by John Kee.

Deele tried to get back into the game but Convoy controlled the ball well. Convoy had a few chances on the break but the game ended 1 - 0 with Convoy taking the three points.

Letterbarrow Celtic 1 Drumbar F.C. 1

Letterbarrow started this game very brightly and went close through Feet Murrin after he was played through by Stephen Graham on ten minutes. The home side thought they had the lead on twenty minutes when Christy Burke headed just wide from a corner. Howeve, Caolan Loughney broke the deadlock when he nodded home a corner for the visitors on thirty minutes and Drumbar held a one nil lead at the break. Both sides battled hard in the second half and Letterbarrow got their equaliser on sixty five minutes when Declan Gallagher volleyed home from six yards. Both sides had a chance to take all points late on but the game ended all square. Best for Letterbarrow were Declan Gallagher and Pauric Coyle. Mark Butler and Shane Browne were best for Drumbar.