Glencar and Arranmore share spoils in thriller

Glencar and Arranmore share spoils in thriller
Glencar Celtic and Arranmore United were involved ina six goal thriller in the Downtown Cup on Saturday sharing the spoils.

Glencar Celtic and Arranmore United were involved ina six goal thriller in the Downtown Cup on Saturday sharing the spoils.

Downtown Cup

Glencar Celtic 3

Arranmore United 3

Glencar started brightest and had the ball in net straight away from a Garvan Grieve corner however there was deemed to be a foul on the keeper and the goal didn’t stand. Glencar were on top from the off and heaped pressure on Arranmore but couldn’t break the deadlock. On 40 minutes Arranmore went ahead with a superb Benny Mc Garvey freekick from all of 35 yards.

Glencar started the second half in the same fashion as the first, with plenty of possession. They were rewarded with a goal after Shane Hilley nodded in a Garvan Grieve corner. The visitors then caught Glencar on the hop with a long ball over the top to Doalty Boyle who finished well. Arranmore doubled their advantage shortly afterwards with another freekick form Mc Garvey.

With 20minutes remaining and Glencar with the run of play they kept their cool and didn’t hit the panic button. Their patience was rewarded when Shane Hilley and Garvan Grieve combined to set up Chris Malseed who reduced the deficit to one with fifteen minutes remaining.

With 10 minutes remaining Declan Scanlon set up Pajo Rafferty whose shot was blocked but Shane Hilley was on hand to convert the rebound.

Great team performances from both sides in a very entertaining encounter.

Referee: Victor Rainey

Milford United Res 3

Donegal Town Res 1

Milford got their new year off to the perfect start with this well deserved win. In a game where neither side had much to play for there was good attacking football from the start. Milford opened the scoring through Ciaran Blaney and added their second through JJ Fleming. Donegal town came back into the game for a brief period and were awarded a penalty which was converted to give them some hope. Milford responded well and reclaimed their two goal advantage after good work from TJ Everson resulted in Ciaran Blaney getting his second of the game.

Ramelton Mariners 2

Erne Wanderers 4

The Mariners and the Wanderers played out an entertaining game at Rab’s Park in Kerrykeel on Saturday afternoon.

It was Erne who started much the better, shaking off the Christmas cobwebs and taking the lead in the 7th minute when David Dolan finished superbly after a counter attack. They doubled their lead in the 25th minute when Alan Russell rounded the Mariner’s keeper Kevvy Mc Cahill and finished to the empty net. The Mariners then came to life and created several chances, firstly with Patrick Durning hitting the crossbar after lobbing the keeper and then Peter Brannigan being thwarted by a last ditch tackle.

Mariners sprung out of the traps in the 2nd half and two minutes after the restart were awarded a penalty after Patrick Durning was dragged to the ground in the area. The same player converted the spot kick. Unfortunately for the Mariners the revival was short lived as Erne reclaimed their two goal advantage in the 55th minute when Ryan O’ Brien headed home from a corner.

Again the Mariners responded and cut the deficit to one goal when in the 75th minute good approach play was rewarded when after Patrick Durning’s header from a Paul Stevenson cross was well saved, Kevvy Coyle was on hand to fire the rebound home. Mariners pressed further for the equaliser with Alan Blaney going close but they were susceptible to the Erne counter attacks and were punished in the 87th minute when Michael Mc Nulty made it four for Erne.

Best for Mariners were Ciaran Burke and Chuck Mc Daid. Best for Erne were Dermot Slevin and Alan Russell. Referee: Kevin Doherty.

Mulroy Celtic 2

Orchard F.C. 4

Orchard got off to a perfect start when they were awarded a penalty when a Mulroy defender was adjudged to have handed the ball. The home team responded very well and equalised through the excellent Dougie after Jerry Diver unleashed a great drive which the keeper could only parry into his path. Orchard restored their lead when a free wasn’t dealt with and their forward dispatched to the net.

Goals three and four soon followed, the third was brilliant as Niall Bonnar twisted the Mulroy defence inside out and finished well. The fourth a fine strike from outside the area. The second half was all Mulroy. Diver was very unlucky not to pull a goal back when he was sent clear but his chip just grazed the top of the bar. They pulled a goal back through Colin Talbot when he headed the ball home from a Joe Kerr free kick. Mulroy had numerous other chances to score couldn’t.

Best for Mulroy: Dougie and Jerry. Best for Orchard Niall Bonner.

Gweedore United Res 4

Keadue Rovers Res 2

This game was played on a cold but sunny afternoon which saw the home side claim the three points in a good entertaining local derby. United started the brighter with early chances falling to Sean Paul McMahon, Aodh O’Donnell and Sean Gallagher. In the 18th minute the home side took the lead after good work by John McFadden saw Ciaran Sharkey beaten by Sean Paul McMahon from 20 yards to make it 1-0.

Keadue were back on level terms one minute later through an excellent shot from Donal Rodgers into the top corner. The visitors took the lead in the 22nd minute against the run of play when Conor Greene scored from close range to make it 2-1.

In the second half United pushed for an equaliser. Their pressure paid off in the 56th minute when Martin Doohan finished from close range to make it 2-2. Following that equaliser Keadue began to press and saw good chances fall to Donal Rodgers, David McCarron and Ryan Greene, However it was United who went ahead in the 75th minute when Martin Doohan converted a penalty kick after Stephen O’Donnell was brought down in the Keadue box.

The home side secured the three points in the 78th minute when Aodh O’Donnell fired into the roof of the net following a goal mouth scramble. It was a good team performance from Keadue with John McFadden and Sean Gallagher excelling for United. Referee: Michael McFadden

Glencar Inn Saturday

Division Two

Tullyvinney Rovers 4

Cranford United Res 4

This game was all action from start to finish. Tullyvinney opened the scoring when Steve Devine  played a through ball to striker Renato who fired home . The same player made it two after Adam Gardiner was upended in the box and Renato dispatched the penalty. Then Tullyvinney pressed the self destruct button firstly Renato missed a penalty then three Tullyvinney defenders went for the one ball and none of them got to it and Lee Ward tapped home.

Cranford levelled when the same player scored after another mix up in the Tullyvinney defence. Then on the stroke of half time Renato played a through ball to Steve Devine who fired home. The second half started the same as the first with both sides going all out for the won. Cranford levelled again when a kick out was flicked on to Lee Ward who scored his third goal off the game.

Cranford then took the lead when a through ball caught out Tullyvinney’s full back and Paddy Shiels’ shot just about crossed the line to put Cranford into the lead for the first time. Tullyvinney then threw everything into attack and scored with a couple of minutes remaining when Paul Mc Daid played a through ball to David Gardiner who fired a unstoppable shot to the roof of the net so it finished all square.

Team effort by Cranford. Best for Tullyvinney were Paddy Cassidy , Jason Mc Kinney, Daniel Mc Nulty and Darragh Crossan

Referee: James Malseed.