Mixed results for Donegal League sides in Junior Cup

Mixed results for Donegal League sides in Junior Cup
There was more action in the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday with teams from the Donegal League recording some excellent victories.

There was more action in the FAI Junior Cup on Sunday with teams from the Donegal League recording some excellent victories.

Among the notable winners were Lifford Celtic, Cappry Rovers and Castlefin Celtic but there was disappointment for Glenea United who were well beaten by Aileach.

In the Premier Division on Sunday, there were good wins for St. Catherine’s and Rathmullan Celtic.

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Rathmullan Cel 3

Donegal Town 0

Celtic made it three wins from three in the top flight. Firstly Oisin McMenamin headed into the Town goal following a sweeping Hoops’ move with Eoin Sheridan whipping in the cross from the left wing. Then, just on the stroke of half time, Paddy Sheridan provided the cross for his brother Eamonn Sheridan to head in from close range to double the advantage.
The second half saw Rathmullan completely dominate. Indeed, Sheridan missed a spot kick on 71 minutes after McMenamin was upended inside the area. Credit must go to Donegal’s keeper John Britton who pulled off two saves to deny McMenamin twice before Eoin Sheridan tapped in on 83 minutes to make it three. 
Best for the visitors were Shane Byrne and John Britton. A solid team performance from Rathmullan Celtic. Referee: Ronan Floyd

Gweedore Celtic 0

Milford United 0

Both sides had to settle for a share of the points in a very entertaining draw at An Screabán. It was Milford that settled quickest putting the Gweedore defence on the back-foot. Despite their dominance it was the home team that almost took the lead through Eamon McGee. Christy Mc Cafferty and PJ Hagan had great opportunities for Milford but the chances were spurned.

In the second half Gweedore upped the tempo. Eamon McGee and Fionan Diver were both denied by Caolan Mc Gettigan in the Milford goal. With time running out both teams had chances to win the game. Christy Mc Cafferty headed over with the goal at his mercy and PJ Hagan saw his effort saved by Christopher Sweeney. At the other end Odhran Mac Niallais saw his shot from 6 yards saved by the keeper.

Best for Milford Caolan Mc Gettigan and PJ Hagan. Best for Gweedore Fionan Diver and Jamie Boyle.

Referee: Paddy Duffy

St. Catherines 4

Kilmacrennan C 2

This game was reversed to Ballyare and it had absolutely everything.

Kilmac bossed large portions of the first half and had chances to open the scoring within the first fifteen minutes through Eddie Doherty and Gary Gorman.

The opening goal came around the 30 minute mark when Kilmacrennan’s Michael McLaughlin scored from the penalty spot. Killybegs slowly began to come into the game and with eight first-half minutes remaining the massive turning point of the game occurred. Ryan Shields was adjudged to have handled the ball while sliding in on goal and was given a straight red. The resulting penalty was coolly converted to leave the game all square.

Kilmac continued to push in the second half despite being down a man but the visitors went in front. With 15 minutes remaining Kilmac found the back of the net with a fine strike from Timmy Burke.

The home side had strong penalty appeals waved away by the referee following a challenge on Seamie Peoples before St. Catherines scored two late goals to clinch the win.

Referee Paddy Martin


Watson Hire Division One

Keadue Rovers 1

Bonagee United 1

Keadue took the lead in the ninth minute with a super strike from Corey Gallagher. By the midway point of the half Bonagee were starting to get on top yet they didn’t force the home keeper into any saves.

Ben Boyle in the Keadue goal made a wonderful save to deny Bonagee an equaliser late on . It was looking like Keadue would hold out for a valuable victory but four minutes from the end the referee awarded a penalty to Bonagee after Keadue’s Mark Sweeney committed a foul just inside the box. Kevin Doran struck the penalty very well into the corner.

Best for Keadue were Ben Boyle and Corey Gallagher. Best for Bonagee were Kevin Doran and Gary Patton.

Referee: Joe Mc Hugh.

CT Ball Division Two

Copany Rovers 1

Drumbar F.C. 0

This was a closely fought local derby at Killowen Park. David Graham opened the scoring with a goal in the 11th minute. The second half started with both teams fighting for that early goal.   Good chances were created by both sides but the score remained unchanged.  In a last minute incident, Gavin Bennett was sent off for Drumbar.

Best for Copany were Cian Gallagher and David Graham. Best for Drumbar was Daniel Bennett.

Glenree United 3

Convoy Arsenal 0

A brilliant passing performance in the second half from Glenree gave them a deserved three points. Convoy passed the ball well but failed to trouble Cunningham in goals with Mailey having the best opportunity.

In the second half, Sosa and Damien Nelis had the best opportunities for Glenree. The breakthrough came in the 60th minute as Sosa drilled in a cross and Andrew Kelly scored a beautiful volley. Glenree brought on the skilful Vinny Mc Laughlin against his old club and within minutes he put Glenree two up with a header.

Andrew Kelly wrapped up the scoring in the last minute with a deflected shot.

Whitestrand Utd 1 Dunlewy Celtic 1

Dunlewey had the better of the opening stages and their early pressure finally told when Paddy Canning crossed the ball from the left for John Canning to score the opening goal.

Whitestrand came close to an equaliser in the second half when the excellent Sean Barrett headed a corner back across the box and Paul Lynch headed towards goal but the keeper saved.

The equaliser arrived after 75 minutes when Sean McFadden broke down the right side and as he burst into the box he was tripped by Liam Mc Mullen and the referee had no option but to point to the spot. It was McMullen’s second yellow and he was sent off.

Eddie Blake stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way.

The last clear chance of the game fell to the ten men of Dunlewey when Kevin Doohan hit a shot that was tipped over the bar by Brendan Friel.

Best for Whitestrand were Sean Barrett and Joe Blaney and best for Dunlewey was Daniel Canning.

FAI Junior Cup

Cootehill Harps 2

Ballybofey Utd 1

Ballybofey United exited this season’s FAI Junior Cup at the first hurdle on Sunday following defeat in Cavan.

The game was played on a 5G surface and was high tempo from start to finish.

The home side went in front midway through the second half. Ballybofey then equalised through Christopher Darby. The Co. Cavan side got the winner in the last minute of the match.

Lifford Celtic 4

Curragh Athletic 3

Lifford raced into an early two goal lead following quick goals from Patrick Sumners and David Gethins. Curragh got themselves back into the game just before half-time following two quick goals from Barclay and a Lloyd penalty. The second half started as the first ended with Curragh on top as they took the lead via a Ryan Carlin header on the hour mark. Lifford gradually came back into the game just as the half was ending and wrapped the game up with two late goals from Kevin Lynch and Johnny Robb.

Best for Lifford were Mark Mc Nulty and Johnny Robb. Best for Curragh was Neil Lloyd.

Moville Celtic 5

Deele Harps 2 (a.e.t.)

Deele Harps went down to Inishowen League side Moville Celtic in the first round of the FAI Junior Cup. The game ended level after normal time but the Inishowen side were the stronger throughout the additional period.

Glenea United 1

Aileach F.C. 4

The Inishowen team started strongly and came close on a couple of occasions before taking the lead on 15 minutes when Gavin Doherty headed home from a corner. The loss of the goal seemed to spark the home side into action and they began to come more into the game. On 25 minutes Sean McBride got onto a Sean Coll through ball and he slotted the ball past the visiting keeper.

Glenea pushed hard to take the lead and came close with efforts from Michael Barry, Denis Boyle and Ryan McFadden.

In the second half both teams were looking to get in front and it was the away side that took the lead on 50 minutes when a cross from the right was deflected into the home goal.

With the home side pushing forward they were leaving themselves open to the counter attack and on 70 minutes Aileach got their 3rd goal when Ciaran Ferry was on hand to score. Aileach got their 4th goal on 88 minutes when Ferry scored again.

Best for Glenea were Denis Boyle and Sean McBride while Liam Craig and Andy Porter were best for Aileach.

Raphoe Town 1

Cappry Rovers 3

The visitors started the brighter creating several chances with stand in keeper Christy Bogle keeping them at bay. Cappry however, soon found the net with a well taken finish from Barney Lafferty.

Raphoe regrouped after the goal and found the net themselves with Craig Kelly levelling things up on the stroke of half-time. The second half started brightly again for Cappry who added a second, again through Lafferty. They finished the game off with a well worked team goal.

Gweedore Utd 2 Castlefin Celtic 3

This FAI Junior Cup game played under the floodlights at Carrickboyle saw the visitors advance to the next round of the competition thanks to an extra time winner by JP Mailey.

With both sides missing a number of their first team players this match did not disappoint from start to finish in what was an exciting encounter with lovely flowing football from both sides.

The game started with United going in front in the first minute when Keith Sweeney’s corner was well finished by Joe Duffy. The home side continued to push and 9 minutes later could have went two up when Michael Connolly was straight through however, an excellent tackle from Anthony White, before the striker shot, prevented the goal.

In the 17th minute the visitors equalised when Matthew O’Rourke shot into the bottom right corner.

The sides went in at the interval all square following a good half of football.

The second half produced more of the same with Matthew Byrne hitting the crossbar in the 48th minute for United.

The visitors took the lead in the 54th minute when Damien Mc Anenney’s cross-come-shot deceived Liam Mc Fadden in the United nets, dropping in at the back post to make it 2-1. United equalised in the 68th minute when Michael Connolly’s shot from 20 yards went into the bottom right corner.

The game ended 2-2 after normal time. JP Mailey scored what proved to be the winner in the third minute of extra time when he scored from close range. United continued to push to pull one back, however, Castlefin held out. It was a good game between two good sides with Lee Ferry in the heart of the United defence man of the match on the night.

Referee: Victor Rainey